According to Section 69, every person liable to make payment of service tax or any other person notified by the central govt through a notification is required to get the registration under the service tax act

On Line Registration

On line registration has been mandatory for all kind of assesses w.e.f. 30-09-2009 Vide commissioner of service tax Trade Notice no. 14/ST/2009 dated 17-09-2009 Under the software called   Automation of Central Excise And Service Tax (ACES) regarding registration  a user has to first register with ACES . This registration is not a statutory registration as described in Act or Rules made thereunder the Service Tax Act

(a)  New Assessee

1  The user first log on to

2 Choose the service tax button appearing on the left side of the web page Click the button   New Users Click here to Register with ACES in the log in Screen  That appears after clicking Service Tax Button

3  Fills in and submit the form  Registration With ACES by furnishing a self chosen User ID and e-mail ID .Once chosen It cannot be changed

4  The system will check the availability the chosen User ID & Then generate the Password & Sent to e-mail mentioned in the form

5 The User then re-login & move with statutory registration with Service Tax by Filling Form  ST -1 by clicking the Reg link & change the Password Immediately.

The system will generate the  registration  number after that request go to AC/DC

6   After that Assessee may be required to submit certain documents for verification After due processing a message will be sent to assessee &  the signed copy or R C Can be sent by post or can be collect by assessee.

Existing Assessee

The existing assessee are not required to get fresh registration  . they will have to only registration with ACES  in following way

1 ACES application will automatically send the mail to the e-mail ID already available in the existing data base . indicating A  TPIN number and password .this mail contain a link to the website

2 The assessee clicks on link and is taken to ACES Application

3 The assessee after providing the required information including the password as provided in e-mail , a new user ID & new password Submit the form.


This type of registration is provided in ACES to any individual,firm or company which require to transact with the department of central excise & service tax in non assessee capacity

1.Merchant exporter   2. co-noticee  3.refund applicant  4.persons who has failed to get registration under the law against whom the department has started proceedings  5.person who are required to make any payment under the service tax & central excise rules

when such person seeks registration under the non assessee category they have to follow the same steps as in case of new assessee provided they have to choose and fill in the non assessee form. In case the Asseessee is taking registration for claiming refund or rebate it is mandatory to furnish his/her valid PAN



1 Copy of PAN Card

2 Residence addresses of proprietor / partners

3 Memorandum of association or partnership deed

4 Power of attorney/board resolution in respect of authorized signatory ,his name and address detail

5 Proof of address of premises for which single or centralized registration taken    A copy of telephone bill.electricity bill,rent agreement in name of prop & partnership firm or document issued by any central or state government


The assessee is required to submit the form ST-1  after providing basic information  such as  Name , Address, Constitution and PAN . The registration is to be allowed within 7 days of acknowledgement of registration application .however if the assessee does not get registration within such period of 7 days it is deemed to have been granted


If there is any change in any information as provided in ST 1 at the time of obtaining registration or assessee intends to provide any additional information to the department . the assessee shall intimate the same in writing to the jurisdictional assistant commissioner or deputy commissioner of central excise as the case may be within a period of 30 days of such change    Rule 4(5A)


Every registered assessee ,who ceases to provide the taxable service for which he is registered shall surrender his registration certificate immediately to the superintendent of central excise   RULE  4(7)


In case of any difficulty in accessing or using the ACES Application assessee can take the help of ACES Service Desk by sending e-mail to [email protected] or calling up national toll free number 1800  425  4251

Ajay Bajaj Advocate,
Bajaj & Bajaj Advocates,
128, Sangam complex,
Milap chowk, Jalandhar Cty (Punjab)
Email: [email protected]

M + +919872231738

More Under Service Tax


  1. vinod Kumar says:

    I am working beetwin ministry of road transport and Transporter as a agent for Permission for ODC Cargo Transportation.

    I Charged the Transporter Rs 2000 + Applicatble Govt. fee.
    my turn over Rs 20000000 (two Crore) please answarme i Lible to service tax yas or no
    my annul income Rs. 700000 ( seven lakh ) only. i feel income Tax retrun and pay Income tax as per govt rule .

  2. Ravindra says:

    hi sir
    I want want to register for service tax when i log in at with my userid and pass and choose ST-1 it redirect to login page and logs out it does not show registration page ,please let me know the procedure to register service tax because i am new

  3. Ranjeet Sharma says:

    Presently I am working in Limited firm and want to start Proprietorship Firm in parallel this is legal or not

    For Proprietorship firm what are the formalities required and its procedure

  4. Arvind Sinha says:

    Dear Taxguru,

    I have service Tax number for one of my firm but I want to establish another firm. Do I need to apply for another service tax number or I can use the same.

    Also, please help me in letting know , if I can raise Invoice being a sole proprietorship.

  5. mohan murthy says:

    sir i will try both time for service tax registration but one massage is coming registration is filed your request can not be processed please contact the system administrator
    what i am doing

  6. ASHOK says:

    Can you kindly confirm if a statutory body in India set up under an Act of Parliament is required to get itself registered as a Service recipient. The body in question is exempt from Income Tax and all it’s receipts are to be deposited in the ‘Public Accounts” under the Act.

  7. shoaibfaiyaz says:

    I have regtd in srv tax but i want change my registration name
    Mosin rail transport instead of naseem cargo handling for this i can bear any legal charges
    From delhi

  8. MOHAN LUKE says:


    I get brokerage from deposits given to Housing Finance Co. Am I liable to pay service tax in case it crosses 10 lakh. I am an individual. Kindly guide.

    Also I would like to know whether trust are supposed to get registered for service tax when they get rental?

    Regards Mohan luke

  9. ravi says:

    Sir i booked a flat in noida which is under construction .builder is taking service tax12.36% on carparkkng and lease rent. I want to know it is genuine as per service tax rule .pls suggest me

  10. Malkeet says:

    Hello Manisha,

    Yes you can get the service tax registration. You need to have a address proof like lease/rent deed for this place in your name, electricity or telephone bill. You will have to provide self attested identity proof-PAN and address proof as mentioned above to the jurisdictional range superintendent of service tax along with a copy of online application ST 1. You need to create a profile on

    Please contact me if you need any sort of professional help.
    ca.malkeetpadam at gmail dot com

    Malkeet singh

  11. Shikha says:

    From where should I get registered for Service Tax?
    I am currently living in place A having my property situated at B within the same state and from property B I receives rental income.
    Can I get registered at place A.
    I do not have any other Service Tax Registration Number.
    Thank You

  12. Darshita says:

    im dealing in construction contract with GIDC, can anyone tell me that whether service tax applicable or not??
    if Applicable then under which service??
    What will be rate??

  13. vikas kumar says:

    Hello ,

    hello, how can get service tax number please help me if you can help please call me within a day or 2 day. my contact number is 099939127238hello, how can get service tax number please help me if you can help please call me within a day or 2 day. my contact number is 09835861158

  14. Suyog says:

    I am employee of private limited company and simultaneously I have started proprietary firm of Consulting Structural engineer from last one year. My salary is 7 lacks and income from my proprietary firm is around 3-4 lacks. In future my firm income may increase. Please advise me regarding service tax.
    I did the online procedure for service tax registration, but there was one option, one file I have to upload i.e. excel file, what is that? I submitted the form without uploading that file and took the printout. I got the application bearing number. Now what will be the next procedure?????
    Please reply me early as possible.

    Thanks and Regards

  15. ranjan aggarwal says:

    sir i want to get my self register for service tax i would like to know as to how i can get my self register for the same
    secondly i would want to know as to what all documents shall be required at the time of registration as the same is for rental income

  16. syed habeebuddin says:

    i am working as a rta agent i need service tax number please kindly guide me how to get a service tax number i will be thankful to you

  17. Malkeet says:

    I can help you with online service tax registration and filing the returns. everything is online. I am a practicing chartered accountant having experience in accounts and audit, income tax, Service tax, TDS and other allied laws.

    Looking forward to help people by rendering valuable services
    You can reach me at [email protected]

    CA malkeet Songh

  18. sankar says:

    I have started manpower consultancy. I want to know the procedure of service tax no. What would be approx. cost & time to get it Kindly guide us the way to get service tax registration.
    Please advise.

  19. Jubi Mathew says:

    Thanks for the wonderful tutorial…I could fill out the St-1 form…..

    But after filling up the form and reaching at the last page of the form, we were supposed to print the application form, which we ingnoratly could not do. Now, when we try to re-access the earlier filled out form, i am not able to re-access the form from the aces website. Pleaes guide how to retrieve the filled out form from the website. I have not received any e-mail with the filled out form yet.

  20. Chetan Thakur says:

    Sir, We are running a canteen in an engineering college. Some times we also provide catering services at the door steps on order at a very lower level. Our problem is that without Service tax registration we are not eligible to take government catering orders. Kindly guide us the way to get service tax registration.

  21. NITIN GOEL says:

    Hello Sir,
    We are running real estate company. I want to know the procedure of service tax no. What would be approx. cost & time to get it? What all documents we require to get service tax no. ?Please advise.


    [email protected]

  22. Vicky says:

    Hello Sir,
    We are running event management company. I want to know the procedure of service tax no. What would be approx. cost & time to get it? What all documents we require to get service tax no. ?
    Please advise.
    email: [email protected]

  23. Aman Abrol says:

    i want to start online business of property sales purchase just like a trading business where client will register his property and customer will purchase, do i require service tax number under properietorship?

  24. Rajesh says:

    Sir, I do all part of registration but below head don’t so any category
    “Description of Taxable Services Provided or to be provided by the Applicant  ”
    After Search I got this message.
    Other than in the negative list  

    What I do plz help


  25. madhuri sharma says:

    i am start the new drycleanering business ,kindly suggest i require service tax no.or not

    madhuri sharma

  26. Krishan Kumar goel says:

    I have started providing Electrical Consultancy  after retirement as ChiefEngineer(UHBVN).Iexpect that annual income  may touch Rs Ten Lacs .kindly guide for regiteration for service-Tax. 

  27. Rajesh Dubey says:

    Hello sir, We are into ITES providing industry. Our works mainly comprise of market survey, data collection, data entry, form filling works etc. Now to acquire a ST No. What would be the procedure. And also I would like to know if there is any difference between manual and online registration.

  28. Ashok mahto says:

    hello, how can get service tax number please help me if you can help please call me within a day or 2 day. my contact number is 099939127238

  29. sanjay says:

    dear tax guru

    i registration online on 15/10/2011 but at a time of registration not received our firm pan no, our firm pan no recived on november end. after this go on amedment on st1 today application modify than save hereafter this not saved or message display “contact system administrator’ is this stage how can step. above application reject or file new application.

  30. Sathishkumar says:

    What type of service tax No. is need For Marketing or promoting:  Falts, Plots House, Tourism India & International ,Web portal (web Ads), Loans (Finical Assistance) to all under one company name. if so guide me, or suggest best way to do it

  31. deependra says:

    Dear tax guru,

    i have got arised a problem in onlne Re-registration of service tax since i have got already online registration but i need to amend some data which had already dispatched on online registration therefore i did not submit the physical documents due to such errors involved.At present i want to re-registrar the ST-1 with correct data while i used to apply and filled the st-1 the server display that the Administration Error.whether should i take any acton on previous ST-1 for re-registration of fresh st-1,is it the server problem or an

  32. C.GURUVEL says:


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

June 2021