A.P. (DIR Series) Circular No. 60
May 16 , 2011
All Authorised Dealer – Category I banks
Madam / Sir
Comprehensive Guidelines on Over the Counter (OTC)
Foreign Exchange Derivatives and Overseas Hedging
of Commodity Price and Freight Risks
Attention of the Authorised Dealer Category – I (AD Category – I) banks is invited to Notification No. FEMA 25/2000-RB dated May 3, 2000, as amended from time to time, on the regulations governing foreign exchange derivative contracts. Further, attention is also invited to the comprehensive guidelines on Over-the-Counter (OTC) Foreign Exchange Derivatives and Overseas Hedging of Commodity Price and Freight Risks issued vide A.P. (DIR Series) Circular No. 32 dated December 28, 2010.
2. In view of the representation received from the industry associations and as AS 30/32 standards are yet to be notified by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, it has been decided to amend the eligibility criteria for the users of cost reduction structures as contained under para B I (1)(v) of A.P. (DIR Series) Circular No. 32 dated December 28, 2010 as indicated below:
A. Existing Provisions
“Users – Listed companies or unlisted companies with a minimum net worth of Rs. 100 crore ( subsidiaries or affiliates of listed companies which follow AS 30/32, having common treasuries and consolidate the accounts with parent companies are exempted from the minimum net worth criteria), which are complying with the following:
B. Amended Provisions
“Users – Listed companies and their subsidiaries/joint ventures/associates having common treasury and consolidated balance sheet
Unlisted companies with a minimum net worth of Rs. 200 crore
(Note: The above accounting treatment is a transitional arrangement till AS 30 / 32 or equivalent standards are notified.)”
Other provisions of the circular shall remain unchanged.
3. It may also be noted that the above eligibility criteria would also be applicable to the users of OTC option strategies involving a simultaneous purchase and sale of options for overseas commodity hedging.
4. The necessary amendments to Notification No. FEMA.25/RB-2000 dated May 3, 2000 [Foreign Exchange Management (Foreign Exchange Derivatives Contracts) Regulations, 2000] are being notified separately.
5. AD Category – I banks may bring the contents of this circular to the notice of their constituents and customers concerned.
6. The directions contained in this circular have been issued under Sections 10(4) and 11(1) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (42 of 1999) and are without prejudice to permissions /approvals, if any, required under any other law.
Chief General Manager-in-Charge