1. What are the conditions under which advance tax/self assessment tax paid in the bank may not reflected in Part C of Form 26AS.

This could be because:

a) your PAN was not properly quoted in the tax payment challans or

b) the bank has made error in entering the PAN while digitizing the challan data or

c) the bank has failed to upload the digitized information to TIN.

You can use the challan status enquiry facility provided at TIN website to verify whether a challan bearing the Challan Identification Number (CIN) given in the counterfoil available with you has been uploaded to TIN. If the PAN as seen in this uploaded data is not your PAN, you may take up with your Assessing Officer for rectification of PAN.

In case the bank has not uploaded the details with respect to your deposit of tax, you may take up with your bank so that this information is uploaded.3 Ways to View Tax Credit (Form 26AS)

2. What if amount of advance/self assessment tax paid in the bank is incorrectly reflected in Part C of Form 26AS?

This could be because the bank has made error in data entry. You should take up the matter with your bank for rectification of amount.

3. What if the Challan Identification Number (CIN) of the advance/self assessment tax paid in the bank (as given in Part C of Form 26AS) does not match with the CIN in the challan counterfoil available with me?

You may quote this CIN that is quoted in Form 26AS in your tax return.

4. What are the possible reasons for incorrect amount of credits being displayed in Part A/B of my tax statement?

The possible reasons for incorrect credits in Form 26AS can be on account of wrong data provided by the deductor in the quarterly TDS/TCS statement. You may request the deductor to rectify the TDS/TCS statement using prescribed correction statement. How to view TDS Certificate from Form 26AS?

5. What are the possible reasons for no credits in Parts A/B of my Form 26AS?

The possible reasons for no credit being displayed in your Form 26AS can be:

  • Deductor/collector has not filed his TDS/TCS statement;
  • You have not provided PAN to the deductor/collector;
  • You have provided incorrect PAN to the deductor/collector;
  • The deductor/collector has made an error in quoting your PAN in the TDS/TCS return;
  • The deductor/collector has not quoted your PAN;
  • The details of challan against which your TDS/TCS was deposited was wrongly quoted in the statement by the deductor or wrongly quoted in the challan details uploaded by the bank.

To rectify these errors you may request the deductor:

  • to file a TDS/TCS statement, if it has not been filed;
  • to rectify the PAN using a PAN correction statement in the TDS/TCS statement that has been already uploaded if it has made an error in the PAN quoted;
  • to furnish a correction statement if the deductor had filed a TDS/TCS statement and had inadvertently missed providing your details or you had not given your PAN to him before he filed the TDS/TCS return;
  • to furnish a correction statement if the deductor had filed a TDS/TCS statement which had mistake in the challan details;
  • to take up with the bank to rectify any mistake in the amount in the challan details uploaded by the bank.

6. What should I do in case there are entries in my Form 26AS that do not pertain to me?

In case this is on account of TDS/TCS credit, you may intimate the deductor/collector. In case this is on account of advance tax/self assessment tax, you may intimate your assessing officer.

7. Can negative (‘-‘) entries appear in Form 26AS?

If there is any error is in the TDS/TCS statements or in the challan details uploaded by the bank and the same has been rectified, the original credit entry will be reversed by way of a debit entry in Form 26AS and a new credit entry (if applicable) will be posted.Form 26AS- Check Anywhere Anytime Tax Credit Status

8. Can changes be made to the name and address of the PAN holder displayed in Form 26AS?

If PAN holder details are incorrect, the same can be updated by making an application using the ‘Request for new PAN card or/and changes or correction in PAN data’. This request can be made either online or through the existing network of TIN-FCs. Details are available at the TIN website.

9. Whom can the PAN holder contact in case of any clarifications which have not been resolved by the deductor of the bank?

PAN holder can contact TIN Call Centre, National Securities Depository Limited, 3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers, Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner, Pune – 411 045. Tel: 020 – 2721 8080. Fax: 020 – 2721 8081. Email:

 (Republished With Amendments)

More Under Income Tax

Posted Under

Category : Income Tax (27624)
Type : Articles (17297) Featured (4029)
Tags : Form 26AS (60) pan number (272) TAN (66)

5 responses to “How to get form 26AS Errors & Omissions rectified”

  1. Santoshkumar says:

    मेरे विद्यालय दुसरे कर्मचारी का टीडीएस मेरे खाते मे गलतीसे जमा कर दिया अबर वह TDS रिफंड के रूप में मेरे अकाउंट में क्रेडिट हो चुका है. Refun मेरे खाते मे क्रेडिट होने के बाद उसे उस कर्मचारी के खाते मे रिवाईसकर दिया गया. पैसा मेरे खाते मे जमा है.उसे इनकम टॅक्स डिपार्टमेंट को कैसे लौटाए.


    I am really at a loss to understand a system put in place by the Income Tax & IT wizards that makes an assessee run from pillar to post for the mistake which is not his but he is expected to get it solved by the deductor. Why the law does not impose heavy penalty on deductors for their errors?
    An on line system to complain the fault of deductors to Income Tax CPC needs to be incorporated.

  3. Vijay Khanna says:

    there is discrepancy in 26as and axis bank’s TDS statement. despite many reminders nothing has been done to rectify it. what should i do, whom to approach

  4. NK says:


    I am facing a problem related to entries not pertaining to me in Form 26AS.

    I recently discovered that this company named, Cvoter News Services Pvt. Ltd., has been wrongfully filing TDS against my name. They were NOT my employer ever.

    I contacted them 3 months ago by email and they agreed that there was a mistake on their side. But even after these months the issue has not been corrected. And the worst part is that now they have stopped responding to my emails!

    What can I do next? Please advise.

    Thanks in advance,

    • VK says:

      Hi NK,

      I am hoping your issue has been resolved. However, I am facing a similar issue whereby some cooperative bank in Kerala has been showing income my account. I just wanted to check how did you manage to fix this issue?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *