Investor Education and Protection Fund Authority
1. What is the procedure to file details of unclaimed and unpaid amount?
Form IEPF-2 is required to be filed by the company/Corresponding New Bank which shall contain investor wise details of unclaimed and unpaid amounts in respect of dividends, debentures, deposits, etc. The details of unclaimed and unpaid amounts shall need to be provided as on the Annual General Meeting (AGM) date. This form is to be filed annually within 90 days from the date of AGM. The form can be downloaded from the IEPF portal of the Ministry (http://www.iepf.gov.in/)
2. I have filed Form IEPF-2 on the IEPF portal. What is the procedure to upload the investor wise details of unclaimed and unpaid amount?
After the Form IEPF-2 is filled and uploaded on the IEPF portal, you are required to provide the investor wise details of unclaimed and unpaid amount.
Following are the steps which need to be followed to upload the investor wise details of unclaimed and unpaid amounts:
1. Install the Pre-requisite Software’s to proceed. To know and install the same click on ‘Prerequisite Software’ link
2. Download the Excel toolkit
3. Download the excel template from the IEPF portal in the zip format
4. Unzip the zip file and save the template in xls (97-2003) and .xlsm(2007) format only
5. Fill the required details in the excel file
ReadMe – Worksheet having instructions to fill the investor details. The users should go through these instructions before filling the investor details so that minimal errors are occurred.
Investor Details – Worksheet in which users have to enter the details of unclaimed and unpaid amounts.
Error – Worksheet in which errors shall be displayed upon click of Validate button in Investor Details,
It is important that you Enable Macro using following instructions:
Please Note: Close the Excel Sheet and re-open it after enabling Macro to start.
For all other excel types please use the help functionality of the Excel.
If the Country is other than INDIA state will be “NA”.
MCA Portal >> Investor Services >> IEPF >> IEPF Application >> Upload Investor Details
3. Is the process complete once the details are uploaded? When does it get completed?
Once the excel file(s) has been uploaded, user is required to confirm the upload of the same on the IEPF portal within 15 days of upload of the eForm IEPF-2.
Please note that the filing of Form IEPF-2 shall be treated as complete only after the excel file(s) are uploaded and confirmed.
4. What will happen if I have uploaded an excel file wrongly? Is there any provision to modify the already uploaded excel file?
Ensure that the correct details are uploaded on the IEPF portal as excel file once uploaded cannot be deleted.
To modify the details, an excel file with the same file name (as of the original file) shall have to be uploaded which shall replace the original file.
Please note that no excel file can be modified after the upload has been confirmed. After confirmation, the details shall be processed and shall not be allowed to be modified.
5. What will happen if the excel file containing the investor-wise details is not uploaded within the prescribed time period?
In case no excel file is uploaded within the prescribed time limit, the filing of Form IEPF-2 shall be treated as Defective and the form shall be rejected..
6. Within how many days do I need to confirm the upload of excel file?
The upload of excel file needs to be confirmed within 15 days of upload of eForm IEPF-2.
7. What will happen if I do not confirm the upload of excel file?
In case uploaded excel file(s) are not confirmed within the prescribed time period, the same will be automatically confirmed by the system.
8. Is there any fee for filing the Form IEPF-2?
No, there shall not be any fee required to be paid for Form IEPF-2.
9. My form status is showing as Rejected. What should I do?
In case the form has been marked as defective, its filing shall be cancelled and shall stand rejected. You will have to file the Form IEPF-2 again on the IEPF portal. Thereafter you shall be required to upload the excel files again and confirm the same.
10. I have uploaded and confirmed the details still my SRN status is showing as ‘Rejected’. Why is it so?
In case the Form IEPF-2 is marked as defective, the status of the SRN is changed to Rejected. Following are the scenarios in which Form IEPF-2 will be marked as defective:
a. In case there is a mismatch in the CIN/CNBIN, company/ Bank name entered in the excel file (Investor-wise details of unclaimed and unpaid amount) vis-à-vis the information filed in the eForm IEPF-2;
b. On non-fulfillment of mandatory validations, ,
c. In case there is a mismatch between the sum of amount due in respect of all investors as entered in the excel file(s) (Investor-wise details of unclaimed and unpaid amount) vis-à-vis the total unclaimed and unpaid amount as entered in the eForm IEPF-2.
d. In case no excel file is uploaded within 14 days of upload of eForm IEPF-2.
11. What equipments (hardware and software) one must have?
12. How to download the required software?
13. How can I search for unclaimed and unpaid amount standing to my credit?
A search facility is provided for the investors to search for unclaimed and unpaid amount standing to the investor’s credit. The following are the steps to be followed for searching the amount:
a. Click on the link ‘ Search for unclaimed and unpaid amounts of investors ’ on the IEPF sub-site. The path for the same is as follows:
MCA Portal >> Investor Services >> IEPF >> IEPF Application >> Search Unclaimed/Unpaid
b. Enter the search criteria and click on search button .
c. Search can be done using following combinations:
d. The investor-wise details using the criteria specified shall be displayed.
14. I am getting the error ‘Compile Error in hidden module: Module 1’ on clicking ‘Validate’ Button after filling the Investor Details. What does this mean?
In case you have not downloaded the Excel toolkit this error gets displayed. It is mandatory to download the Excel Toolkit before filling the investor-wise details in the Excel. Please click the following link to download the Excel Toolkit. Click here to download
15. Is it mandatory to file Form IEPF-2 in case there are no unclaimed and unpaid amounts as referred to in sub-section (2) of section 205C of the Act?
As per the Investor Education and Protection Fund (Uploading of information regarding unpaid and unclaimed amounts lying with companies) Rules, 2012, Form IEPF-2 is required to be filed only in case there are unclaimed and unpaid amounts as referred to in sub-section (2) of section 205C of the Act.
In case the company does not have any unclaimed and unpaid amounts as on the date of AGM, then in such case, it is not required to file Form IEPF-2.
16. Whether one form IEPF-2 is to be filed providing details of unclaimed and unpaid amounts pertaining to all the previous seven years or whether separate forms for each year needs to be filed?
17. Can I give the details of unclaimed and unpaid amount year-wise in separate excels?
Yes, you may either prepare a consolidated excel for all the years or use separate Excel sheets for each year.
18. How to enter the mandatory details like First name, Last name, Father’s name etc, in case unclaimed and unpaid dividend is in the name of the Company?
In case the investor is a non-individual, in the first name column- name of the investor should be entered. In the columns for Last Name and Father’s name- ‘Not Applicable’ may be entered.
19. Serial number 5 in Form IEPF-2 requires ‘Number of small shareholders’. What information should be provided in that column?
Details of small shareholders is to be provided as per the provisions of the Companies Act, 2013.
20. Is it mandatory to file form IEPF-2 each year?
Yes, the companies are required to file one Form IEPF-2 each year containing details of unclaimed and unpaid amounts of previous seven years pending as on date of AGM of that year. The form is to be filed every year within a period of 90 days after the holding of Annual General Meeting or the date on which the AGM should have been held. Refer circular number 17/ 2012 and 20/2012 for more information in this regard.
21. We need to upload details of more than 1,50,000 investors. Is it mandatory to enter all the details in the excel template or can we submit CD for the same?
The details are required to be submitted in the excel template only. You can prepare multiple excel files for uploading on the IEPF website. You may use MS -Excel 2007(.xlsm) format to reduce the size of the excel files.