prpri Details of Various Types of PAN Applications Details of Various Types of PAN Applications

Permanent Account Number (PAN) is consider as very crucial element in any financial transaction. Whenever it comes to Application of PAN is most of people are aware of only two forms that is Form 49A and Form 49AA but in actual there are various different forms or I can say method relating to Pan which can be used for various different purposes. Today I will cover those various types of Pan Application.

1. Application for allotment of New PAN (Form 49A) – applicable for Citizens of India

This form should be used when the applicant is Citizen of India and has never applied for a PAN or does not have PAN allotted to him. An applicant can visit Income Tax Department (ITD) website to find whether a PAN has been allotted to him or not.

2. Application for allotment of New PAN (Form 49AA) – applicable for foreign citizens

This form should be used when the applicant is Foreign Citizen and has never applied for a PAN or does not have PAN allotted to him. An applicant can visit Income Tax Department (ITD) website to find whether a PAN has been allotted to him or not.

3. Reprint of PAN Card

This application should be used when PAN has already been allotted to the applicant but applicant requires a PAN card. A new PAN card bearing the same PAN details is issued to the applicant.

(A) PAN applicants can now apply online for Reprint of PAN card (only when there is no change required in data). TIN NSDL site has open one direct link for this kind of purpose.

The link is as under:

This facility is only available for those PAN holders whose latest PAN application was processed through NSDL e-Gov and / or e-Filing portal of Income Tax Department. Option for update of PAN details will not be available through this facility.

(B) If the communication address of an applicant as per latest records available with NSDL e-Gov is an Indian address, then applicant needs to make an online fee payment of ₹50 (inclusive of taxes) and if it is a foreign address, then payment of ₹959 (inclusive of taxes) has to be made by the applicant.

(C) There is no requirement of submitting any application form along with supporting documents for processing this PAN card reprint request.

Alternatively, an applicant can apply for a reprinted PAN card through normal online PAN application mode whose details are given below.

(A) While filling this form, applicant should not select any of the check boxes on the left margin of the form. However, the check box for Item no. 7 Address for communication will be selected by default as this address will be updated in the records of ITD.

4. Change/Correction in PAN Data

This application should be used when PAN has already been allotted to the applicant but applicant wants to make change/correction in PAN data. A new PAN card bearing the same PAN with updated details will be issued to applicant.

Appropriate check boxes in front of the relevant core details (i.e. name, father’s name, date of birth) should be selected, in order to update the details.

5. DSC Based PAN Application

This is a new facility initiated by the TIN NSDL for time saving and quick filing of Pan application. This facility can be used by PAN applicants having a valid Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) issued to them by authorized Certifying Authority (CA) in India. Only valid class II or III DSC will be accepted.  In case of minor/lunatic/idiot applicants, DSC of the parent/guardian whose details have been furnished as Representative Assessee in the application should be used for digitally signing the application. For DSC based application, applicant is not required to send any physical document to NSDL e-Gov.

6. Instant PAN Through Aadhaar Based e-KYC

This facility is for allotment of Instant PAN (on near-real time basis) for those applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number. PAN is issued in PDF format to applicants, which is free of cost. The applicant is required to type in her/his valid Aadhaar number and submit the OTP generated on the registered mobile number. Once the process is complete, a 15-digit acknowledgment number is generated. Once request is submitted, the applicant can check the status of the request at any time by providing her/his valid Aadhaar number and on successful allotment can download the PAN. The applicant will also receive a copy of the PAN in the e-mail id registered with the Aadhaar database.

The relevant link is as under:

Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for information purposes only and does not constitute advice or a legal opinion and are personal views of the author. It is based upon relevant law and/or facts available at that point of time and prepared with due accuracy & reliability. Readers are requested to check and refer to relevant provisions of statute, latest judicial pronouncements, circulars, clarifications etc before acting on the basis of the above write up.  The possibility of other views on the subject matter cannot be ruled out. By the use of the said information, you agree that Author / TaxGuru is not responsible or liable in any manner for the authenticity, accuracy, completeness, errors or any kind of omissions in this piece of information for any action taken thereof. This is not any kind of advertisement or solicitation of work by a professional.

(Republished with Amendments by Team Taxguru)

Author Bio

Qualification: CA in Job / Business
Company: Taxguru Consultancy / Taxguru Edu
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Member Since: 27 Feb 2017 | Total Posts: 896
A Blogger by Passion and a Chartered Accountant by Profession. View Full Profile

My Published Posts

More Under Income Tax


  1. Supriya Pujari says:

    Hello. We had a applied for a PAN Card for my son when he was a minor. Do the card shows MINOR on the card. Now that he is 18 years old..we need to upgrade it.

    The firm for Channing PAN Card details doesn’t reflect this ooption. Which form do we use or how should we update the status of the card from “MINOR” to “MAJOR”

  2. Shyam Kanta Mondal & Puspa Mondal says:

    I have submitted Form 49A duly filled in for correction of namre vide ref No 2017071928486 & 2017071928449 but fogot to donload the application form in PDF Form. Kindly help me how to download the submitted form. Payment for both the applications have been made.

    Your help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks & regards

  3. komi says:

    want to change my pan card as i am divorce now so want to change my husband name and to put my fathers name how to change guide plesa

  4. kksharma says:

    The name of my wife in her Pan number is correct but in Form 16 the name is wrongly printed and so in the E filing of IT. It seems that in the data base it is wrongly feed. I approached the concerned IT department and they say that form 49A should be filled. I fail to understand why should any one be asked to fill the form again when it is the mistake of IT department as the name was wrongly feed by them in their data base?

  5. perplexed says:

    I am a citizen of india and living in a foreign country. I visit India once in two year and just for 2 months holidays.

    What pan card form no. should i use, 49A or 49AA?


  6. chandra shekhar says:

    I have PAN card since 1993, but I have no digital PAN card. How can I get digital PAN card and which form I have fill. please conform

  7. Shreyansh says:

    I have submitted form 49A with some incorrection and paod the amount. How to correct and submit the revised form 49A rectifying all corrections.
    Please advise

  8. Surendra Kumar Gupta says:

    I want to correct spelling in my name printed on existing Pan Card(SURENDRA IN PLACE OF SURENDER).I REQUEST U SIR TO SEND NECESSARY GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION FORM.With due Regards

  9. Vitrag Modi says:

    Dear Sir,
    Perhaps above are old forms. Pls check. These forms have changed to incorporate ‘Mother’s Name’ in PAN Card on 16.05.2014.

  10. Asawle says:

    Jurisdiction alloted is based on address furnished in application by you.

    Address furnished in the application must be falling under the jurisdiction of ITO Ward 1(1) Rajkot.

  11. Ghanshyam Jaju says:

    My Grand Daughter is resident of Jodhpur (Rajasthan). Her Name is Rishika Jaju, She applied for PAN throgh her Father & Natural Guradian and PAN has been alloted but Jurisdiction of A O has been alloted as ITO Ward 1(1) Rajkot. Please guide me how should I get the Jurisdiction transfer from RajKot to Jodhpur

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

August 2021