OFFICE OF THE CHIEF COMMISSIONER OF CUSTOMS MUMBAI ZONE-II
NHAVA SHEVA, DIST- RAIGAD, MAHARASHTRA
F. No. S/V-30-Misc-431/20-21 CCO M-II (‘A’ Cell)
DIN No. 20200978NV00004VA6A3
Subject: Extending Faceless Assessment of imports made in Mumbai Customs Zone II beyond Group 2A in phases i.e. on 15.09.2020 for Group 5, 5A, 5B, on 01.10.2020 for Group 1, 2G, 2K, 3, 4, 6 and on 31.10.2020 for Groups 1A, 2, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2H, 2I and 2J as part of further roll-out of Faceless Assessment at All India level at ports of import for imported goods – regarding.
Kind attention of importers, Customs Brokers and other stakeholders is drawn to –
a) Public Notice Nos. 95/2020 dated 31.07.2020 and 96/2020 dated 31.07.2020 under which phase II of faceless assessment undertaken by CBIC had covered Group 2A imports made in this Zone. This was based on CBIC Circular No. 34/2020-Cus dated 30.07.2020, 28/2020-Customs dated 05.06.2020 and Notification No.50/2020-Cus (NT) dated 05.06.2020. Further, for the purpose of empowering the jurisdictional Commissioner of Customs (Appeals) at Mumbai Zone II to take up appeals filed in respect of Faceless Assessments pertaining to imports made in their jurisdiction (even though the assessing officer may be located at the other Customs station), the Board had issued Notification No. 63/2020-Customs (N.T.) dated 30.07.2020.
b) Setting up of Turant Suvidha Kendra (TSK) in this Zone vide Public Notice Nos. 80/2020 dated 08.07.2020 read with 82/2020 dated 14.07.2020 and specifying that TSK shall suitably cater to the relevant functions consistent with the above cited Board’s Circulars for Faceless Assessment Groups.
2. The CBIC has issued a further Circular No. 40/2020 dated 04.09.2020 for All India roll-out of faceless assessment at all ports of import for all imported goods. For imports made at this Custom House, the faceless assessment shall be extended beyond existing phase II involving Group 2A in the following phases – a) phase III on 15.09.2020 for Group 5, 5A, 5B b) phase IV on 01.10.2020 for Group 1, 2G, 2K, 3, 4, 6 c) phase V on 31.10.2020 for Groups 1A, 2, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2H, 2I, 2J. Accordingly, the assessment with respect to these Groups will get assigned by the Customs Automated System to officers of Faceless Assessment Groups.
3. For this purpose, para 4 of the Public Notice No. 91/2018 dated 30.05.2018 as amended by Public Notice Nos. 80/2020 dated 08.07.2020 and 95/2020 dated 31.07.2020 is hereby further amended as follows:
a) against Commissionerate Nhava Sheva – I, for “Import Groups”, the words “Port Assessment Groups and Faceless Assessment Groups” are specified and description shall read as “1, 1A, 2, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 2I, 2J, 2K”.
b) against Commissionerate Nhava Sheva – III, for “Import Groups”, the words “Port Assessment Groups and Faceless Assessment Groups” are specified and description shall read as “3, 4”.
c) against Commissionerate Nhava Sheva – V, for “Import Groups”, the words “Port Assessment Groups and Faceless Assessment Groups” are specified and description shall read as “5, 5A, 5B, 6”.
4. The Principal Commissioner/Commissioner Nhava Sheva I (email id: email@example.com), Nhava Sheva III (email id: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Nhava Sheva V (email id: email@example.com) are also the Nodal Commissioners administratively responsible for monitoring and ensuring speedy and uniform assessments, in regard to the Bills of Entry assigned by the System to the officers of the respective Faceless Assessment Groups specified above in their jurisdiction.
For this, the CBIC Circular Nos. 40/2020-Customs, 28/2020-Customs and 34/2020-Customs and Instruction No. 09/2020-Customs provide self-contained guidance which shall be taken as Standing Order for the Commissioner/officers concerned including in the Faceless Assessment Group which would consist of Appraisers / Superintendents and Assistant / Deputy Commissioner and be supervised by Joint / Additional Commissioner under the overall control and monitoring of the Commissioner. The Principal Commissioners/Commissioners of Import at Nhava Sheva shall issue further detailed Public Notice by 12.09.2020 for roll-out of phases III, IV and V of Faceless Assessment and make suitable directions for the officers and staff.
5. The concerned Commissioner(s) would interact with trade and industry for inputs, and on issues relating to assessment, and inter alia assist stakeholders, by taking suitable measures, locally and as part of National Assessment Centres constituted by Board, before, during and after roll-out of phase III, IV and V, so that the faceless assessment and clearance of goods occur smoothly to achieve objectives of the Turant Customs program.
6. The stakeholders are also informed that the CBIC has issued Notification No. 85/2020-Customs (N.T.) dated 04.09.2020 for the purpose of empowering the jurisdictional Commissioner of Customs (Appeals) to take up appeals filed in respect of Faceless Assessments pertaining to imports made in their jurisdiction (even though the faceless assessing officer may be located at any other Customs station). This is issued with the approval of Chief Commissioner of Customs, Mumbai Customs Zone-II.
Joint Commissioner, CCCU
Copy for kind information via website to:
1. AIIEA, BCBA, FIEO, CII, Assocham, FICCI, other Trade & Industry Associations
2. Commissioner of Customs, NS-G/I/II/III/IV/V/Appeal in Mumbai Zone-II
3. All officers and staff in Mumbai Zone II
4. JNPT and terminals GTI / BMCT / NSICT & NSIGT.
5. Partner Government Agencies at Nhava Sheva
6. DC, EDI for uploading on website