“Importer is required to apply online for CHIP Import registration between 60 days to 15 days prior of expected date of arrival of import consignment. The automatic Registration Number thus granted shall remain valid for a period of 75 days. It is mandatory to have registration of said products for Bill of Entry to be filed on or after 1st August 2021.”
As you are aware, Central Government is kin to curtail the imports and promote domestic manufacturing and boost the exports; for that various measures are being taken by the Government. As a part of said agenda import of goods are getting monitored and according Polices are framed by the Government to secure cross borders trade.
The Central Government has made import registration compulsory for a range of electronic integrated circuits under chip imports monitoring system (CHIMS) from 1st August 2021 vide Notification No. 05/2015-20 dated 10th May 2021.
The above notification issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) states that, under the import monitoring system, importers would have to submit advance information in an online system for inbound shipments of specified products and obtain an automatic registration number by paying the fee.
Import Policy condition for below ITC (HS) are revised from ‘free’ to ‘free subject to compulsory registration’ under Chip Import Monitoring System (CHIMS). So, the following items are required to be registered with CHIMS prior to import at https://imports.gov.in.
|ITC (HS)||Description of goods|
|8542 31 00||Electronic integrated circuits: – Processors and controllers, whether or not combined with memories, converters, logic circuits, amplifiers, clock and timing circuits or other circuits|
|8542 33 00||Electronic integrated circuits: Memories|
|8542 33 00||Electronic integrated circuits: Amplifiers|
|8542 39 00||Electronic integrated circuits: Other|
|8542 90 00||Parts|
Objective of this registration is to enable the Government to maintain an accurate & updated database which contains advance information about import of said items before entering into the country. The said import data is collected by respective Ministry. Similar import registration is also already made applicable to the following products:
1. Copper and Aluminium falling under Chapter 74 & 76 of ITC (HS), list of products appended to Notification No. 61/2015-20 dated 31 March 2021.
2. Coal falling under Chapter 27 of ITC (HS) as per notification No. 49/2015-20 dated 22 December 2020.
3. Steel products falling Chapter 72, 73 & 86 of ITC (HS), list of products appended to Notification No. 17/2015-20 dated 5 September 2019.
Chip Import Monitoring System (CHIMS) shall require importers to submit advance information in an online system for import of said items. On submission of online data/information, the system will generate an automatic unique Registration Number. No manual documents are to be submitted to any public authority for this purpose.
Importer is required to apply online for registration between 60 days to 15 days prior of expected date of arrival of import consignment. The automatic Registration Number thus granted shall remain valid for a period of 75 days. It is mandatory to have registration of said products for Bill of Entry to be filed on or after 1st August 2021.
Importer is required to follow below procedure for registration of the product on import monitoring system:
1. Get your mobile/email id amended/updated in DGFT IEC database through the online IEC modification system.
2. Collate below information before registration:
i. Exporter Name, address, Country
ii. Country of Origin
iii. Purpose of import
iv. Port of import
v. Expected date of import
vi. HSN code & Description
vii. Type of IC
viii. IC Number
ix. Technical Details
x. Quantity of import
xi. CIF Value of Import
3. A registration fee of Rs 1 per thousand subject to a minimum of Rs.100/− and maximum of Rs 500/- on aggregate CIF value of imports will need to be paid through electronic mode in the online system for each registration.
4. On registration, a Unique Registration Number (URN) will be sent to the IEC holders mobile/email id (as given in IEC database).
5. Importer shall have to enter the Registration Number and expiry date of Registration in the Bill of Entry to enable Customs for clearance of consignment.
6. Monitoring of quantity applied for registration, imported and balance quantity to be imported.
The online Chip Import Monitoring System (CHIMS) is available on a 24X7 basis. However, in the interest of trade/importers, it is suggested that registrations are filed/obtained fairly well in advance to avoid disruptions in the business activity of the firm. Registration on trial basis without fees is operational now.
Importers who fail to register their information/data of notified HS Code items in advance or are found to furnish incorrect data in the Online CHIMS portal will attract punitive action including action under FTDR Act, 1992.
So, plan in advance and get the product registered to avoid delay in import clearance.
Stay safe Stay Healthy!