1. Principal of the Policy
a. To develop good human beings capable of rational thought and action, possessing compassion and empathy, courage and resilience, scientific temper and creative, imagination, with sound ethical moorings and values.
b. It aims at producing engaged, productive, and contributing citizens for building an equitable, inclusive, and plural society as envisaged by our Constitution.
2. Fundamental Principles
1. recognizing, identifying, and fostering the unique capabilities of each student
2. to achieving Foundational Literacy and Numeracy
4. no hard separations
5. multidisciplinarity and a holistic education
6. emphasis on conceptual understanding
7. creativity and critical thinking
8. ethics and human & Constitutional values
9. promoting multilingualism and the power of language
10. life skills
11. focus on regular formative assessment for learning
12. extensive use of technology
13. respect for diversity and respect for the local context i
14. full equity and inclusion
15. synergy in curriculum across all levels of education
16. teachers and faculty as the heart of the learning process
17. ‘light but tight’ regulatory framework
18. integrity, transparency
19. resource efficiency
20. outstanding research
21. continuous review
3. Change in education structure
New pedagogical and curricular restructuring of 5+3+3+4 covering ages 3-18
4. Early Childhood Care and Education
For children 3 to 6 years
5. Focus on Mathematics
Mathematics will be area of focus
6. Semester system
At subjects to be offered at 2 levels i.e all exam to be semester wise twice a year.
7. Vocational Course
6th Standard onwards vocational course available and students will have 10 bag-less days during which they will teach about vocation of their choice (kind of informal Training).
8. Choice in subjects
From 8th std to 11th Std there will be choice in subjects.
9. Medium of subjects
Medium of instruction upto grade 5, and preferably till Grade 8 and beyond, will be home language/ mother tongue/ local language.
10. Division on study
Age 6-8 – Basic and Fundamental stage
Age 8-11– Interactive classroom, play
Age 11-14– experiential learning in the sciences, mathematics, arts, social sciences, and humanities.
Age 14-18– multidisciplinary study, greater critical thinking, flexibility and student choice of subjects.
11. School Exams
School exam will be held only for 3 Level i.e for Classes 3, 5 and 8.
Assessment shall be based upon formative style which will encourages higher order thinking skills, critical thinking and conceptual clarity.
12. Assessment Centre PARAKH (Performance Assessment, Review and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development
A new national assessment centre PARAKH will be established which will overtake the board exam.
Now Board exam will have less stakes because now student will be allowed to take board exams on upto two occasions during their given school year.
1. Main examination;
2. Exam for improvement; if desired;
Higher Education (College level education)
13. CCE Test (Common College Entrance Test)
CCE will be conduct twice a year by the National Testing Agency. This will be effective from 2022 session.
There will be 4 years graduation degree
15. Bachelor degree with exit option
In every bachelor degree there will be an exit option i.e
If for any graduation Program if student complete-
a. Only 1 year- Then he will get a Basic Certificate
b. Only 2-3 years- Then he will get a Diploma Certificate
c. Complete Full course- Then he will get a Degree Certificate.
16. Option to Drop outs
Drop Outs will be given an option to complete his degree after a break.
17. Multidisciplinary nature of degree
There will be no hard separation between Arts and Science.
18. Promotions of following at all level
Indian Arts, Culture, Regional Language.
19. Master in Philosophy (M.Phil)
M.Phil will be discontinued
20. Only Selected Universities among the World
Among to 100 universities in the world will be allowed to operate in India
21. Merger of various institution
UGC, AICTE will be merged
22. Same grading system
All university either govt. or pvt, open, deemed, vocational etc will have same grading
More focus will be given on Practical Knowledge.
24. Reduction in Syllabus
Only Core knowledge based syllabus
25. Teacher Training Board
A new Teacher Training Board with established at National Level in which states have no right for making any changes.
For More details down load the National Education policy 2020 here