Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
To Chairman/CEOs of Life Insurers.
Sub: Guidelines on settlement of Life Insurance Claims to the victims of Flood in Maharashtra.
As a result of recent flood there are reports of loss of human lives and loss of belongings in the state of Maharashtra. In order to extend every possible facilitation in quick and timely settlement of life insurance claims, you are advised to take the following actions immediately.
1. Designate a senior level officer as the nodal officer in the state for coordinating/expediting settlement of all claims reported, who will immediately establish contact with the Chief Secretary or the officer concerned of the state and maintain close contact for subsequent follow up. Designate similar nodal officers for each of the affected districts to liaise with district administration, and intimate the contact details of all nodal officers designated to the Authority.
2. Publicize the details of designated officers, special camps etc in the media and through the state Government to facilitate expeditious filing of claims. Start 24×7 helplines, as required. Details of such publicity activities may be sent to the Authority, immediately.
3. Initiate immediate action to ensure that all reported claims are registered and eligible claims are settled promptly. Special attention may also be given to PMJJBY claims.
4. A suitably simplified process/procedure including relaxations in the usual requirements wherever feasible may be considered to expedite claims settlement. With regard to claims involving loss of life, where difficulty is experienced in obtaining a death certificate due to non-recovery of body etc., the process followed in the case of Chennai floods in 2015 may be considered.
5. With a view to limit the fallout of the Corona Virus (COVID-19) pandemic and limiting direct/indirect social contact, all the Life Insurers are advised to encourage and motivate their policyholders/claimants to adopt e-modes, wherever possible for correspondence while intimating the claim and the procedure for filing all the relevant documents.
6. In respect of Policyholders/claimants coming to office, Insurers should follow the government directions regarding maintaining social distancing and proper sanitization. The staff must be duly sensitized to deal with policyholders/claimants with empathy and concern.
7. The Progress report on the claims settled shall be submitted to and [email protected] and [email protected] on a weekly basis every Monday before 12.00 PM (first such report to be received on 9th August 2021) for data up to last working day of the previous week. PMJJBY claims data need to be submitted separately while including the same in total claims.
Chief General Manager (Life Insurance)
Format of Progress report on the claims settled for the week ending
|Sl. No.||Type of Claim||Claims reported||Claims settled|
|Number||Amount (in lacs)||Number||Amount (in lacs)|
|1||Individual Insurance||Death claims (including rider benefit if any)|
|2||Group Insurance (excluding PMJJBY)||Death Claims|