Ministry of Mines has made a significant move by issuing the Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys (Quality Control) Order, 2023. This order, backed by the Bureau of Indian Standards, aims to regulate the quality of various aluminium products within India. Set to come into effect three months after its publication, this order establishes key guidelines for producers and distributors.
MINISTRY OF MINES
New Delhi, the 31st August, 2023
S.O. 3846(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-sections (1) and (2) of section 16 read with section 17 and sub-section (3) of section 25 of the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016 (11 of 2016), the Central Government is of the opinion that it is necessary so to do in the public interest and after consulting the Bureau of Indian Standards, hereby makes the following order, namely: –
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) This Order may be called the Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys (Quality Control) Order, 2023.
(2) This Order shall come into force with effect from three months from the date of publication of this notification.
2. Application.- This Order shall apply in relation to goods or article specified in column (2) of the Table below, but shall not apply to goods or article meant for export.
3. Compulsory use of Standard Mark.- Goods or article specified in the column (2) of the said Table shall conform to the corresponding Indian Standard specified in column (3) therein and shall bear the Standard Mark under a licence from the Bureau of Indian Standards in accordance with Scheme-1 of Schedule-II to the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018.
4. Certifying and enforcing authority.- The Bureau of Indian Standards shall be the certifying and enforcing authority in respect of the goods or article specified in the column (2) of the said Table.
|Goods or article||Indian Standard||Title of Indian Standard|
|1.||Aluminium and aluminium alloy ingots and castings||IS 617:1994||Cast aluminium and its alloys – Ingots and castings for general engineering purposes|
|2.||High purity primary aluminium ingot||IS 11890:1987||Specification for high purity primary aluminium ingot for remelting for special
|3.||Aluminium alloy ingots for bearings||IS 6754:1972||Specification for aluminium alloy ingots for remelting for general engineering purpose|
|4.||Primary aluminium ingots for remelting||IS 2590:1987||Specification for Primary aluminium ingots for remelting for general engineering purpose|
|5.||Aluminium ingots billets and wire bars (EC GRADE)||IS 4026: 2023||Aluminium ingots billets and wire bars
Note: For the purposes of the Table, it is clarified that the latest version of Indian Standards established and published by the Bureau from time to time in accordance with the provisions of clause (17) of section 2 of the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016 (11 of 2016), shall apply from the date of such publication.
[F. No. 02/18/2023-ES]
SHAKIL ALAM, Economic Adviser