The registered office of a company is a place to which all official communications pertaining to a Company is sent. In addition to a registered office, a company can have an corporate office or administrative office or branch office or factory, etc.
The registered office of the Company will also determine the domicile of the company (State of Incorporation). The state or location in which the registered office of the Company is situated will determine the Registrar of Company (ROC) to which the application for company registration must be made. Any change of address of Registered Office must be notified to the Registrar of Company (ROC) within a specified period.
1. A company shall, within thirty days of its incorporation and at all times thereafter, have a registered office capable of receiving and acknowledging all communications and notices as may be addressed to it.
Comments: Substituted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017– Amendment Effective From 27th July 2018. In section 12 in sub-section (1), for the words “on and from the fifteenth day of its incorporation”, “the words “within thirty days of its incorporation” shall be substituted.
2. The company shall furnish to the Registrar verification of its registered office within a period of thirty daysof its incorporation.
Comments: Verification of Registered Office
(1) The verification of the registered office shall be filed in Form No.INC. 22 along with the fee,
(2) There shall be attached to said Form, any of the following documents, namely :-
(a) the registered document of the title of the premises of the registered office in the name of the company; or
(b) the notarized copy of lease or rent agreement in the name of the company along with a copy of rent paid receipt not older than one month;
(c) the authorization from the owner or authorized occupant of the premises along with proof of ownership or occupancy authorization, to use the premises by the company as its registered office; and
(d) the proof of evidence of any utility service like telephone, gas, electricity, etc. depicting the address of the premises in the name of the owner or document, as the case may be, which is not older than two months.
(3) Every company shall—
(a) paint or affix its name, and the address of its registered office, and keep the same painted or affixed, on the outside of every office or place in which its business is carried on, in a conspicuous position, in legible letters, and if the characters employed therefor are not those of the language or of one of the languages in general use in that locality, also in the characters of that language or of one of those languages;
(b) have its name engraved in legible characters on its seal; if any.
(c) get its name, address of its registered office and the Corporate Identity Number along with telephone number, fax number, if any, e-mail and website addresses, if any, printed in all its business letters, billheads, letter papers and in all its notices and other official publications; and
(d) have its name printed on hundies, promissory notes, bills of exchange and such other documents.
Publication of name by company:
(1) Every company which has a website for conducting online business or otherwise, shall disclose/publish its name, address of its registered office, the Corporate Identity Number, Telephone number, fax number if any, email and the name ofthe person who may be contacted in case of any queries or grievances on the landing/home page of the said website.
(2) The Central Govemment may as and when required, notify the other documents on which the name of the company shall be printed.]
Provided that where a company has changed its name or names during the last two years, it shall paint or affix or print, as the case may be, along with its name, the former name or names so changed during the last two years as required under clauses (a) and (c):
Provided further that the words “One Person Company” shall be mentioned in brackets below the name of such company, wherever its name is printed, affixed or engraved.
4. Notice of every change of the situation of the registered office, verified, after the date of incorporation of the company, shall be given to the Registrar within thirty days of the change, who shall record the same.
1. Substituted by the Companies (Amendment) Act,2017- Amendment Effective From 27th July 2018 in section 12 in sub-section (4) for the words:- “within 4 & 8 [fifteen days]” the following words shall be substituted “within thirty days”
2. Notice and Verification of Change of Situation of the Registered Office.-
The notice of change of the situation of the registered office and verification thereof shall be filed in Form No.INC.22 along with the fee and shall be attached to the said form, the similar documents and manner of verification as are specified for verification of Registered office on incorporation in terms of sub-section (2) of section 12.
(5) Except on the authority of a special resolution passed by a company, the registered office of the company shall not be changed,—
(a) in the case of an existing company, outside the local limits of any city, town or village where such office is situated at the commencement of this Act or where it may be situated later by virtue of a special resolution passed by the company; and
(b) in the case of any other company, outside the local limits of any city, town or village where such office is first situated or where it may be situated later by virtue of a special resolution passed by the company:
Provided that no company shall change the place of its registered office from the jurisdiction of one Registrar to the jurisdiction of another Registrar within the same State unless such change is confirmed by the Regional Director on an application made in this behalf by the company.
Comments: Shifting of registered office within the same State.-
(1) An application seeking confirmation from the Regional Director for shifting the registered office within the same State from the jurisdiction of one Registrar of Companies to the jurisdiction of another Registrar of Companies, shall be filed by the company with the Regional Director in Form No.lNC.23 along with the fee and following documents,-
(a) Board Resolution for shifting of registered office;
(b) Special Resolution of the members of the company approving the shifting of registered office;
(c) a declaration given by the Key Managerial Personnel or any two directors authorised by the Board, that the company has not defaulted in payment of dues to its workmen and has either the consent of its creditors for the proposed shifting or has made necessary provision for the payment thereof ;
(d) a declaration not to seek change in the jurisdiction of the Court where cases for prosecution are pending;
(e) acknowledged copy of intimation to the Chief Secretary of the state as to the proposed shifting and that the employees interest is not adversely affected consequent to proposed shifting”.]
(6) The confirmation referred to in sub-section (5) shall be communicated within a period of thirty days from the date of receipt of application by the Regional Director to the company and the company shall file the confirmation with the Registrar within a period of sixty days of the date of confirmation who shall register the same and certify the registration within a period of thirty days from the date of filing of such confirmation.
(7) The certificate referred to in sub-section (6) shall be conclusive evidence that all the requirements of this Act with respect to change of registered office in pursuance of sub-section (5) have been complied with and the change shall take effect from the date of the certificate.
(8) If any default is made in complying with the requirements of this section, the company and every officer who is in default shall be liable to a penalty of one thousand rupees for every day during which the default continues but not exceeding one lakh rupees.
(9) If the Registrar has reasonable cause to believe that the company is not carrying on any business or operations, he may cause a physical verification of the registered office of the company in such manner as may be prescribed and if any default is found to be made in complying with the requirements of sub-section (1), he may without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (8), initiate action for the removal of the name of the company from the register of companies under Chapter XVIII.
DISCLAIMER: THE ARTICLE IS BASED ON THE RELEVANT PROVISIONS AND AS PER THE INFORMATION EXISTING AT THE TIME OF THE PREPARATION. IN NO EVENT I SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT AND INDIRECT RESULT FROM THIS ARTICLE. THIS IS ONLY A KNOWLEDGE SHARING INITIATIVE.
THE AUTHOR – CS DEEPAK SETH AND CAN BE REACHED AT CSDEEPAKSETH@GMAIL.COM