Checklist for Filling BEN -2 Form under Companies Act, 2013 read with relevant rules
1. The disclosures to be made by the individuals or entities holding 10% or more shares or voting power in any company is very comprehensive in nature and encompasses holdings not only in a company but also in any other entity such as LLP, any other body corporate, HUF, Partnership Firm, Discretionary Trust, Charitable Trust, Revocable trust, Pooled Investment Vehicle (PIV), or any entity controlled by such PIV.
2. Every company has to identify persons holding more than 10% of shares or voting right in the company and obtain a declaration from them in Form Number BEN-1
3. For the purpose of soliciting the declaration in form BEN-1, the company shall send a letter in Form Number BEN-4 to every Significant Business Owner of the company annexing a blank declaration form (BEN-1).
4. Where an individual becomes a significant beneficial owner, or where his significant beneficial ownership undergoes any change, within ninety days of the commencement of the Companies (Significant Beneficial Owners) Amendment Rules, 2019, it shall be deemed that such individual became the significant beneficial owner or any change therein happened on the date of expiry of ninety days from the date of commencement of said rules, and the period of thirty days for filing will be reckoned accordingly.
5. Within 30 Days of declaration from the persons of Significant Business Owners, the Company has to file a Return to the ROC in the form Number BEN-2 through any of the duly authorised director, Manager, CEO or CFO or Company Secretary of the Company. The form BEN-2 is also required to be further certified by a practising professional who may be a Chartered Accountant, Company Secretary or a Cost Accountant in whole time practice.
6. The only attachment which is prescribed to be annexed with the BEN-2 form is the declaration from the SBO in BEN-1 from each shareholder having 10% or more shares of voting rights.
7. The companies or other entities which are exempted from filing BEN-2
Section 125(5), Authority constituted by the central government.
1. Holding reporting company, provided that the detail of such reporting company shall be reported in BEN-2
2. Central Government/ State Government/ Local Government
3. Reporting Company/ body corporate / any entity controlled by the Central Government/ State Government/ Local Government
4. SEBI / RBI etc
DISCLAIMER: THE ARTICLE IS BASED ON THE RELEVANT PROVISIONS AND AS PER THE INFORMATION EXISTING AT THE TIME OF THE PREPARATION.IN NO EVENT I SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT AND INDIRECT RESULT FROM THIS ARTICLE. THIS IS ONLY A KNOWLEDGE SHARING INITIATIVE.
THE AUTHOR CAN BE REACHED AT VINAYAK.CHARU@GMAIL.COM AND AT 6283643738