Article discusses about Order which can be rectified under section 154 of Income Tax Act, 1961, Rectification of Income Tax order which is subject to appeal or revision, Initiation of rectification by whom, Time-limit for rectification, The procedure to be followed for making an application for rectification, etc.


Sometimes there may be a mistake in any order passed by the Assessing Officer. In such a situation, mistake which is apparent from the record can be rectified under section 154. The provisions relating to rectification of mistake under section 154 are discussed in this part.

Order which can be rectified under section 154

With a view to rectifying any mistake apparent from the record, an income-tax authority may, –

a) Amend any order passed under any provisions of the Income-tax Act.

b) Amend any intimation or deemed intimation sent under section 143(1).

c) Amend any intimation sent under section 200A(1)(*) [section 200A deals with processing of statements of tax deducted at source i.e. TDS return].

d) amend any intimation under section 206CB*.

(*) Under section 200A, a TDS statement is processed after making correction of any arithmetical error in the statement or after correcting an incorrect claim, apparent from any information in the statement

Similarly a new section 206CB is inserted by Finance Act, 2015 to provide for the processing of TCS statement.

If due to rectification of mistake, the tax liability of the taxpayer is enhanced or refund is reduced, the taxpayer shall be given an opportunity of being heard.

Rectification of order which is subject to appeal or revision

If an order is the subject-matter of any appeal or revision, any matter which is decided in such an appeal or revision cannot be rectified by the Assessing Officer. In other words, if an order is subject matter of any appeal, then the Assessing Officer can rectify only those matters which are not decided in such appeal.

Initiation of rectification by whom

The income-tax authority can rectify the mistake on its own motion.

The taxpayer can intimate the mistake to the income-tax authority by making an application to rectify the mistake.

If the order is passed by the Commissioner (Appeals), then the Commissioner (Appeals) can rectify mistake which has been brought to notice by the Assessing Officer or by the taxpayer.

Time-limit for rectification

No order of rectification can be passed after the expiry of 4 years from the end of the financial year in which order sought to be rectified was passed. The period of 4 years is from the date of order sought to be rectified and not 4 years from original order. Hence, if an order is revised, set aside, etc., then the period of 4 years will be counted from the date of such fresh order and not from the date of original order.

In case an application for rectification is made by the taxpayer, the authority shall amend the order or refuse to allow the claim within 6 months from the end of the month in which the application is received by the authority.

The procedure to be followed for making an application of rectification

Before making any rectification application the taxpayer should keep following points in mind.

  • The taxpayer should carefully study the order against which he wants to file the application for rectification.
  • Many times the taxpayer may feel that there is any mistake in the order passed by the Income-tax Department but actually the taxpayer’s calculations could be incorrect and the CPC might have corrected these mistakes, e.g., the taxpayer may have computed incorrect interest in return of income and in the intimation the interest might have been computed correctly.
  • Hence, to avoid application of rectification in above discussed cases the taxpayer should study the order and should confirm the existence of mistake in the intimation, if any.
  • If he observes any mistake in the order then only he should proceed for making an application for rectification under section 154.
  • Further, he should confirm that the mistake is one which is apparent from the records and it is not a mistake which requires debate, elaboration, investigation, etc. The taxpayer can file an online application for rectification of mistake. Before making an online application for rectification the taxpayer should refer to the rectification procedure prescribed at
  • For rectification of intimation under Section 200A(1)/206CB online correction statement is to be filed; the procedure thereof is given at
  • An amendment or rectification which has the effect of enhancing the assessment or reducing a refund or otherwise increasing the liability of the taxpayer (or deductor) shall not be made unless the authority concerned has given notice to the taxpayer or the deductor of its intention to do so and allowed the taxpayer (or the deductor) a reasonable opportunity of being heard.

[Republished with Amendments)

(Republished with Amendment, Source -Income Tax Website)

More Under Income Tax


  1. Amar Peswani says:

    In tax returns by mistake I had filled the table for TCS instead of TDS.
    Income tax department raised demand for payment.
    In response to my rectification request they have rejected it saying that this can not be entertained as it involves reduction in tax liability.

  2. shamika says:


    I have received SMS/e-mail from income tax department saying rectification return for PAN: xxxx for AY 2018-19 and ACK No.xxxx has been processed at CPC. In the attachment, “net amount payable” is mentioned as Rs. 3000/-. I didn’t file for any rectification. Does this mean I have to pay this extra amount now?


  3. Avinash Gupta says:

    The procedure is OK. But what to do if the Rectification order continues to show the same mistake. In my case the Intimation Under Section 141 has not taken into account the TDS paid by me. The TDS is appearing in form 26AS. I have checked the return, there is no error in filling the ITR. TDS is shown correctly with correct TAN nos. which match with form 26AS. I had filed a rectification request through e-filing portal. Despite apparent error I have received an order u/s 154 keeping the position unchanged raising a demand instead of Tax Refund due to me. What is the next step to get the order rectified.

    1. Anand says:

      Hi Avinash, Did you get any solution for this rectification error? What you did after receiving 154 order? I have also got 154 intimation without correcting the apparent mistake. Interestingly, in the attachment in intimation email, the column ‘as modified by Assessing Officer’ shows mistake corrected and no due, But the column ‘as computed under section 154’ doesn’t and according to that I still have net payable due.
      Could you suggest anything?

      1. CA Phani AVN says:

        Please check if any demand is appearing under “reply to outstanding demand” tab after loging in to If still demand exists, under rectification ask to reprocess the case

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

January 2021