[PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE OF INDIA, EXTRAORDINARY, PART II SECTION 3, SUB-SECTION (I)]
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
(DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE)
Notification No. 84-Cus., dated 11-9-1971
Exemption to temporary import of scientific equipments by non-profit
making scientific or educational institutions.
G. S. R. 1334 (E) In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 25 of the Customs Act, 1962 (52 of 1962), the Central Government, being satisfied that it is necessary in the public interest so to do, hereby exempts scientific equipments, namely, instruments, apparatus, machines or accessories therefore used for purposes of scientific research or education, and spare parts of these equipments and tools specially designed for their maintenance, checking, gauging or repair, temporarily imported by such non-profit making scientific or educational institutions as may be approved in this behalf by the Ministry of Education and to be used under the control and responsibility of such institutions for purposes of scientific research or education of non-commercial nature, from the whole of the duty of customs leviable thereon which is specified in the First Schedule to the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 (51 of 1975), and from the whole of the additional duty leviable thereon under section 3 of the said Customs Tariff Act, subject to the following conditions, namely:-
(1) the importer makes a declaration at the time of import that the goods are being imported temporarily subject to re-exportation;
(2) the goods are imported in reasonable quantities having regard to the purpose of importation;
(3) the goods are capable of identification on re-exportation;
(4) the goods are re-exported within six months from the date of importation or within such extended period not exceeding one year as may be allowed by the Commissioner of Customs and an undertaking is furnished in writing by the importer agreeing to re-export the goods within the aforesaid period;
(5) while the goods are in India, they remain in the ownership of a natural person resident abroad or a legal person established abroad; and
(6) generally subject to the provisions of the Customs Convention on the temporary importation of scientific equipment reproduced in the Annexure to this notification.
On the temporary importation of scientific equipment
[See Customs Tariff 1994-95 or any earlier edition.]
Notification No. 84-Cus., dated 11-9-1971 as amended by Notifications No. 190-Cus., dated 2-8-1976;
No. 129/86-Cus., dated 17-2-1986 and No. 101/95-Cus., dated 26-5-1995.