Directorate of Income Tax (Systems)
Subject: Tax Credits available in the Annual Tax Statement for A.Y. 2008-09
The Income Tax Department (ITD) creates Annual Tax Statement of each taxpayer using their Permanent Account Number (PAN) as identifier. The tax statement contains details of tax paid by the taxpayer himself (self assessment/advance tax) and also details of tax deducted/collected from him during the financial year. The details of tax paid are based on information uploaded by banks where tax has been deposited. The TDS/TCS credits are uploaded on the basis of the information uploaded by the person deducting/collectin g tax. This procedure is in accordance with section 203 AA of the I.T. Act, 1961 or the second proviso to sub section (5) of section 206C of the I.T. Act, 1961.
2. Your Annual Tax Statement for A.Y. 2008-09 (Financial Year 01.04.2007 to 31.03.2008) is attached. As per the approved procedure, the tax credit admissible to you will be limited to the tax credit available in such statement and may increase or decrease in case the deductor revises the information.
3. In case of missing entries, you are advised to contact your deductor immediately and ascertain whether the deductor has either
i) failed to quote your PAN or quoted it incorrectly in the TDS return; or
ii) not filed the TDS return.
3.1. In such a case the deductor may be persuaded to rectify the mistake.
4. From the current financial year and onwards you can also view your tax credits by undertaking a one time registration. Detailed procedure for registration is available at www.incometaxindia. gov.in and www.tin-nsdl. com.
5. To open the statement, you need to enter your date of birth in case of individual tax payers and the date of incorporation for non-individual tax payers as password in the format of DDMMYYYY. Example, if your date of birth / incorporation is January 1, 1985 then the password will be 01011985.
5.1. The date of birth / incorporation should be same as that present in the Income Tax Department PAN master (as printed on the PAN card).
5.2. To open this file all you need is Adobe Acrobat Reader version 5.0 or above. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, please click on this link www.adobe.com/ products/ acrobat/readstep 2.html to download. Please note that you will not be able to open this file or view the file properly with any version lower than Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0.
6. For queries on the issue you may contact TIN Call Centre at
Tel.: 91-22-2499 4650
Fax: 91-22-2495 0664
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. in
This is a system generated mail. Please do not reply back to this email ID. Further communication on this matter could be sent on email@example.com. in
For and on behalf of
The Income Tax Deptt