FAQs on How to Know your ITR Status on new Income Tax Portal
Q.1 Why is it important to check my ITR status?
Ans. ITR status shows the current status/stage of your filed ITR. Once your ITR has been filed, you may check if it has been accepted and processed by the Income Tax Department. In certain cases where some discrepancies are found, you may need to respond to the communication from the ITD. Hence, it is advisable to periodically check your ITR status.
Q.2 What are the different types of ITR statuses?
- Submitted and pending for e-Verification / Verification: This is the status when you have filed your ITR but have not e-Verified it, or your duly signed ITR-V has not been received at CPC yet.
- Successfully e-Verified / Verified: This is the status when you have submitted and duly e-Verified / Verified your return, but the return has not been processed yet.
- Processed: This is the status when your return is successfully processed.
- Defective: This is the status where the department notices some defect in the filed return due to lack of certain essential information as required under law, or some inconsistencies. In such a case, you will receive a notice under section 139(9) asking you to rectify the defect within a specified time limit from the date of receiving notice. If you don’t respond to a defective return status, your ITR will be treated as invalid, and is not taken up for processing.
- Case transferred to Assessing Officer: This is the status when the CPC has transferred your ITR to your jurisdictional AO. If your case is transferred to your AO, you will be contacted by the officer to provide necessary details.
Q.3 Can my authorized representative / ERI access my ITR status using his/her login?
Ans. Yes, for ITRs filed by authorized representative / ERIs. Such ITRs will be shown to both you and your authorized representative / ERI. If you filed your own ITR (as a registered taxpayer), the status will be shown only to you on your e-Filing account.
Q.4 Is the ITR Status service only for viewing my ITR status as a registered taxpayer?
Ans. No. Apart from viewing the status of your ITR, you can view the details of your income tax returns:
- View and download your ITR-V Acknowledgement, uploaded JSON (from the offline utility), complete ITR form in PDF and intimation order.
- View your return(s) pending for verification, and take further action to e-verify your return(s).
Q.5 Do I need to log in to check my ITR status?
Ans. No, ITR status can be checked pre-login as well as post-login. You can avail additional information like downloading the return / intimation if you check your ITR status post-login.
Q.6 With the ITR Status service, can I see just my last filed return or previous returns too?
Ans. You can view all your past filings as well as your current filings.
Q.7 Do I need my mobile number registered with the e-Filing portal to view my ITR status without logging in?
Ans. No, you can use any valid mobile number to view your ITR status without logging in. However, you need to enter the valid ITR acknowledgement number if you are using this service without logging in.
Q.8 I want to view the ITR status of my spouse. Can I do so?
Ans. You can view the ITR status of your spouse in the following ways:
- Pre-Login: On the e-Filing homepage, click View ITR Status. You will need his/her ITR acknowledgement number and a valid mobile number.
- If you filed your spouse’s ITR as an Authorized Representative/Authorized Signatory, both you and your spouse can view the ITR status.
- If your spouse filed his/her own ITR, he/she will be able to view the status on his/her own e-Filing account.
Q.9 Where can I find my acknowledgment number to enter when checking my ITR status?
- You can check your acknowledgement number from your ITR-V received on your registered email after e-Filing your return. Your ITR-V is also downloadable from the e-Filing portal post login: e-File > Income Tax Returns > View Filed Returns > Download Receipt option.
- You can also check your acknowledgement number (post login) for a filed ITR on the e-Filing portal using the View Filed Forms service.
Manual on How to Know your ITR Status on new Income Tax Portal
The ITR Status service is available (pre-login and post-login) to the following registered users:
- All taxpayers for ITRs filed against their PAN
- Authorized Signatory, ERI, and Representative Assessee for ITRs filed by them in such a role
This service allows the above users to view the details of ITRs filed:
- View and download the ITR-V Acknowledgement, uploaded JSON (from the offline utility), complete ITR form in PDF, and intimation order
- View the return(s) pending for verification
2. Prerequisites for availing this service
- At least one ITR filed on the e-Filing portal with valid acknowledgement number
- Valid mobile number for OTP
- Registered user on the e-Filing portal with valid user ID and password
- At least one ITR filed on the e-Filing portal
3. Process/Step-by-Step Guide
3.1 ITR Status (Pre-Login)
Step 1: Go to the e-Filing portal homepage.
Step 2: Click Income Tax Return (ITR) Status.
Step 3: On the Income Tax Return (ITR) Status page, enter your acknowledgement number and a valid mobile number and click Continue.
Step 4: Enter the 6-digit OTP received on your mobile number entered in Step 3 and click Submit.
- OTP will be valid for 15 minutes only.
- You have 3 attempts to enter the correct OTP.
- The OTP expiry countdown timer on screen tells you when the OTP will expire.
- On clicking Resend OTP, a new OTP will be generated and sent.
On successful validation, you will be able to view the ITR status.
3.2 ITR Status (Post-Login)
Step 1: Log in to the e-Filing portal using your valid user ID and password.
Step 2: Click e-File > Income Tax Returns > View Filed Returns.
Step 3: On the View Filed Returns page, you will be able to view all the returns filed by you. You will be able to download the ITR-V Acknowledgement, uploaded JSON (from the offline utility), complete ITR form in PDF, and intimation order (by using the options on the right-hand side).
- Click Filter to view your filed returns based on different criteria (AY or Filing Type).
- Click Export to Excel to export your returns data to excel format.
- Click View Details to view the life cycle of the return and action items related to it (e.g., returns pending for e-Verification).