Instruction No. 05/2015
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi, Dated- 23rd June, 2015
Pr. Chief Commissioners of Income Tax,
Subject: Guidelines for engagement of Standing Counsels to represent the Income-tax Department before High Courts and other judicial forums; revision of their Schedule of fees and other related matters -reg.
I am directed to refer to the above and Board’s Instruction No. 3 of 2012 dated 11-04-2012 on the above mentioned subject.
2. Instruction No. 3 of 2012 was issued in supersession of the existing Instructions of the Board on the subject. However, after the issue of representations were received from various quarters including the Standing Counsels requesting for provision of clerkage on drafting fee also. It was further observed that no upper ceiling for payment of clerkage fee was prescribed.
3. Board has examined the issue of payment of clerkage fee. Accordingly, Instruction No. 3 of 2012 is amended.
4. Para-5 of Annexure-Il of Instruction No. 3 of 2012, being Schedule of Fees and Allowances and terms of Payment, provides for payment of Clerkage at the rate of 10 per cent of the appearance fee. The said para-5 is amended to read as under:
`Clerkage at the rate of l0 per cent of the appearance and drafting fee shall be payable to the Counsel, subject to a maximum of Rs. 4,375/-, in a case or a batch of cases’.
5. The above amendment shall come into immediate effect for compliance by all
6. This issues with the concurrence of Ministry of Law and Justice vide their FTS 6141/R&I/2014 and the Department of Expenditure I.D. No. 9 (4)/2012-E-II (B) dated 3.6.2015.
7. Hindi version of the Instruction will follow.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India, CBDT