e-Payment facilitates payment of direct taxes online by taxpayers. To avail of this facility the taxpayer is required to have a net-banking account with any of the banks listed below, which are the only banks offering this facility at present.
Account Holders of
1. Axis Bank
2. State Bank of India
3. Punjab National Bank
4. HDFC Bank
5. IDBI Bank
6. Union Bank of India
Procedure for e-payment:
1. To pay taxes online the taxpayer will select the relevant challan i.e. ITNS 280, ITNS 281, ITNS 282 or ITNS 283, as applicable.
2. Enter its PAN / TAN as applicable. There will be an online check on the validity of the PAN / TAN entered.
3. If PAN/ TAN is valid the taxpayer will be allowed to fill up other challan details like accounting head under which payment is made, name and address of TAN and also select the bank through which payment is to be made, etc.
4. On submission of data entered a confirmation screen will be displayed. If the taxpayer confirms the data entered in the challan, it will be directed to the net-banking site of the bank.
5. The taxpayer will login to the net-banking site with the user id/ password provided by the bank for net-banking purpose and enter payment details at the bank site.
6. On successful payment a challan counterfoil will be displayed containing CIN, payment details and bank name through which e-payment has been made. This counterfoil is proof of payment being made.