E- Filing Of Income Tax Return / Online Filing Of Income Tax Return (ITR) is Mandatory for some classes of Assessee and is Optional for others. Article explains Procedure for E-Filing of Income Tax Return.
The income earned in the year 2017-18 (Previous year) will be furnished to Government in the form of Income Tax Return in the year 2018-19 (Assessment Year) as applicable in the respective cases of the assesses depending upon the amount of income earned and subsequent falling in the particular slab.
As per the statutory requirement of Income Tax Act 1961, the assesse earning income over a threshold limit of slabs decided by Government has to file his Income Tax Return within a stipulated time period. There are different classes of assesses filing income tax returns and accordingly different threshold limits and due dates of filing Income Tax Returns have been decided by the Government.
This is the foremost step for E-filing of income Tax Return. The assesse has to organize all his documents in order to correctly and accurately upload his return on the e- filing portal of the Government of India.
– AADHAR no
– Assets and liabilities details
(Domestic as well as Foreign)
|Tax Related Documents
– Pervious year tax return
– Certificates of tax deducted at source
– Certificates of savings made during previous year
– Form 26 AS from Traces
|Other Investment related documents
– Home Loan statements
– Mutual fund investment related documents
– Life insurance plan premium receipts
– Premium receipts of other insurances taken such as medical insurance etc
– DE-mat statements & trading account statements for computing capital gains etc
|Other Miscellaneous related documents
– Other relevant proofs for claiming deduction such as under sec 80 G – receipt of donations, under Sec 80 C- tuition fees receipts etc
– Any other relevant proofs required.
|Bank Related Documents
– Bank statements
– Interest statements
– IFSC codes, account numbers, name and nature of accounts
|Property Investment related documents
– Agreements entered with buyers
– Sale deeds
– Other documents showing capital gains on the property
– Lease deeds for showing rental incomes.
|Expense Related documents
– Any expense incurred whether in the form of investments or business expense in case of corporate assesses where income is to be shown under the head Profits and Gains from Business and Profession.
The second step is to create an account at the website for e-filing of income tax return. If the return is to be filed for the first time, then an account is to be created at the website and in case the assesse is already filing the return for the previous year/s then the assesse needs to log in to the already created account with inputs of PAN. Password and DOB. A captcha code is also asked for verifying the existence of the human involvement.
– After logging in the account, click the filing link appearing on the screen
– Select the assessment year
– Applicable ITR form is to be selected
This is the most important part while filing income tax return on the portal. The assesse has to select the right ITR form while filing return on the portal failing which the ambiguity will prevail for the Government as well as the assesse. It will make the return defective or may consider as not filed.
|ITR 1||For individual (total income does not exceeds Rs 50 Lacs) having income from Salary and pension income/ one house property(not being brought forward losses from previous year)/income from other other source( not being loss and from income from winning from lottery/income from horse races|
|ITR 2||Individuals and HUFs not having income from profits and gains of business and profession|
|ITR 3||Individuals and HUFs having income from profits and gains of business and profession|
|ITR 4||Presumptive income from Business and Profession|
|ITR 5||Anyone other than HUF , company, and person filing ITR 7|
|ITR 6||Companies other than those claiming exemption under section 11|
|ITR 7||Those required to furnish tax returns under section 139(4A)/ 4(B)/ (4C)/ (4D)/ (4E)/ (4F)|
|ITR V||Acknowledgement of tax returns filed electronically without digital signature.|
There are various fields in the ITR form which are required to be incorporated while filing the income tax return on the portal. The various important fields include the inclusion of AADHAR number, exemptions. Deductions, address and other relevant particulars.
After incorporating all the necessary information in the correct ITR form, the assesse is required to upload all the particulars for further processing on the portal.
Once all the details are uploaded in the system , then there is an option given in the window under which the e-verification of the return is to be done. The Government has given an option of e-verifying your return within 120 days from the days of filing of return. Alternatively a signed copy of the ITR V can also be sent to the Bangalore head office by a registered post for onwards submission to concerned authorities.