Currently, the most discussed topic after budget is new no dispute but trust scheme i.e. ‘Vivad Se Vishwas’. As per this scheme the taxpayer would have to pay the full amount of the disputed tax in return of complete waiver of interest and penalty, if he opts for the scheme before the end of this fiscal year and those who avail this scheme after 31st March, 2020 will have to pay some additional amount. Therefore, today we come up with some clarity regarding challan payment for paying tax or appeal fees. In this article I am covering the process of payment of tax online alongwith some frequently asked questioned on this matter.
1. To pay taxes online, login to http://www.tin-nsdl.com > Services > e-payment. You can go and visit following Link – https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp
2. Select the relevant challan i.e. ITNS 280
3. Enter PAN / TAN (as applicable) and other mandatory challan details like accounting head under which payment is made, address of the taxpayer and the bank through which payment is to be made etc
4. On submission of data entered, a confirmation screen will be displayed. If PAN / TAN is valid as per the ITD PAN / TAN master, then the full name of the taxpayer as per the master will be displayed on the confirmation screen.
5. On confirmation of the data so entered, the taxpayer will be directed to the net-banking site of the bank.
6. The taxpayer has to login to the net-banking site with the user id / password provided by the bank for net-banking purpose and enter payment details at the bank site.
7. On successful payment a challan counterfoil will be displayed containing CIN, payment details and bank name through which e-payment has been made. This counterfoil is proof of payment being made.
1. Tick box 0020 for Corporation Tax (Companies) and 0021 for Income Tax (Other than Companies such as individuals, partnership firms, societies etc.
2. Tick box ‘300 Self Assessment Tax‘ under ‘Type of Payment’ for Tax Payment for Appeal purpose
3. To deposit taxes, appeal fees, etc. in respect of block period cases, enter the first Assessment Year of the block period followed by the last Assessment Year of the period. For example, if the block period is 1/04/85 to 5/3/96, it would be entered as 1986-97 in the space indicated for Assessment Year
4. Further, while entering the amount please note that the tax amount should be fill up under ‘Tax’ while in respect of appeal fees it should be enter under ‘Others’.
It is mandatory for the following types of assesses to pay tax online with effect from April 1,2008.
You can use the facility if –
If encountered any error on e-tax website kindly contact TIN call centre at 020 – 27218080 or write to us at (Please indicate the subject of the mail as Online Payment of Direct Tax ).
If during the transaction, or after completing the transaction bank site encountered any error or get disconnected before generating Taxpayer counterfoil, then instead of doing the same transaction again, kindly check your account. If account has been debited, then contact your bank for the taxpayer’s counterfoil. Please note that, in the above case, do not make the same transaction again which results in account being debited more than once for the same e-tax transaction.
(Republished with amendments)