Follow Us :

CA Praveen Boda

Ref: Circular NO. 2/2011 [F.NO. 385/25/2010-IT(B)], DATED 27-4-2011 of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on refund procedure for excess tax deducted at source (TDS) on payments to residents.

The new Circular is applicable for refunds pertaining to the period up to 31 March 2010. The procedure for refunds for the period from 1 April 2010 is governed by a specific provision in the Indian Tax Laws dealing with centralized processing of quarterly TDS statements. The refund for the period after 1 April 2010 will be granted based on data furnished in the statements, subject to rectification of apparent inconsistencies, without the requirement of a separate claim for refund.

Under the new Circular, claim for refund of excess TDS needs to be made within a period of two years from the end of the financial year (FY) in which the tax was deductible at source. This effectively meant that the claim for refund can be made only for FY 2009-10 on or before 31 March 2012.

The CBDT has now issued another Circular No. 6/2011 dated 24 August 2011 modifying the new Circular. The modification provides that the refund claims pertaining to the period up to FY 2008-09 may be furnished up to 31 December 2012.

The modification provides an opportunity for taxpayers who have refund claims for earlier periods to put up their claims by 31 December 2012.

Join Taxguru’s Network for Latest updates on Income Tax, GST, Company Law, Corporate Laws and other related subjects.


  1. vrushali says:

    is there any circular passed by govt where TDS is deducted by a company of an assesee but return is not filed by the company and the company is closed, now can assesee claim refund of that TDS deducted by the company????? form 16A is available with the assesee….

  2. ashok ganai says:

    Hi Sir,
    I was employed in an I.T. Company located at SEZ, SEEPZ Andheri East, Mumbai-400096. Excess TDS of Rs. 1500 was deducted by my employer from salary in A.Y. 2004-05. I filed I.T. return in November 2004 in the Centralised Processing Centre Mumbai. But not got the refund till today.
    Kindly advise
    i) whether I can file refund application online? Any Website address or email id?
    ii) Or I shall have to file paper application for refund.
    iii) Kindly advise the procedure and proforma of application.

  3. Sarika jain says:

    Hi Mr. Praveen Boda

    can plese let me know the procedure for filling of TDS refund. how we can file application for TDS refund in Incoem tax return.

    sarika jain

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Post by Date
May 2024