Government of India
Ministry of Commerce
Directorate General of Foreign Trade
Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi – 110 107.
Policy Circular No. 88 (RE-2008)/2004-2009
Dated 6th May, 2009
All Licensing Authorities;
All Commissioners of Customs;
Trade & Industry.
Subject : Import of waste paper.
Attention is invited to Policy Circular No.78(RE-08)/2004-2009 dated 1.4.2009 and Policy Circular No.82
(RE-08)/2004-2009 dated 28.4.2009.
2. In continuation of the above two Policy Circulars, it is further clarified that RA of DGFT shall issue the licence based on copy of NOC issued by Ministry of Environment & Forests (MOEF), subject to the condition that the applicant, gives it in writing that they have not received any original NOC from MOEF.
3. Vide Policy Circular No.82 (RE-08)/2004-2009 dated 28.4.2009, it has been clarified that the applications for import
of waste paper submitted to MOEF are to be accompanied by the certificate of independent Pre-Shipment Inspection Agency. In this regard, it is further clarified that the pre-shipment inspection certificate shall state that imported material is only waste paper etc. and is free from any hazardous waste including municipal waste, bio-medical waste etc.
4. A list of Pre-Shipment Inspection Agencies have been notified by DGFT under Appendix-5 of Handbook of Procedures Vol.I Though these agencies are enlisted for the specific purpose of conducting pre-shipment inspection of metal scrap, it is felt that many of such enlisted agencies may have capability to carry out pre-shipment inspection of waste paper also. Accordingly, trade and industry is advised to seek pre-shipment inspection from only those agencies who are enlisted in Appendix-5 of Handbook of Procedures Vol.I.
5. The procedure for enlisting new agencies under Appendix 5 is notified at Para 2.32.A of Handbook of Procedures Vol.I. Any new agency desiring to enlist under Appendix-5 for pre-shipment inspection of waste paper may apply to DGFT according to provisions cited therein.
6. This issues with the approval of Competent Authority.
(O. P. Hisaria)
Joint Director General of Foreign Trade
(Issued from File No. M-5975/AM04/PC-IA)