Nodal officer appointed by Punjab Government to speed up the process of import in line with Ad hoc Exemption Order No. 4/2021-Customs which provides exemption on custom duty on covid relief material imported from outside India for free distribution. In order to claim the exemption, the importer needs to produce a certificate to Customs authorities at the time of import from Nodal officer of the State Government authorising the import and stating that the goods are meant for free distribution
O/O ADDITIONAL COMMISSIONER OF STATE TAX(AUDTT),
EXCISE & TAXATION BHAWAN, SECTOR-69, MOHALI
Subject: Exemption of IGST and Basic custom levy on import of Covid-19 relief material received free of cost from outside India for free distribution-reg.
In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Central Government has issued Notification No. 27/2021-Customs dated 20.04.2021 (as amended by notification No. 29/2021- Customs dated 30.04.2021) and 28/2021-Customs dated 24.04.2021, exempting Basic Customs Duty and/or Health cess on imports of a number of COVID-19 related relief material. Further, IGST on all import of relief material listed in the above Customs notifications has been exempted till 30th June, 2021 vide Ad hoc Exemption Order No. 4/2021-Customs, dated 3’May, 2021 (copy enclosed).
2. The import could be made either by the State Government itself or any entity, organization, statutory authority or relief agency authorised by State Government for free distribution anywhere in India. The only condition is that the goods should be sent free of cost for free distribution within India. In order to claim the exemption, the importer needs to produce a certificate to Customs authorities at the time of import from Nodal officer of the State Government authorising the import and stating that the goods are meant for free distribution. Accordingly, vide order no. 351 dated 04th May, 2021 the undersigned along with Sh. Kumar Rahul, IAS has been named as nodal officer for Punjab for this purpose.
3. In order to operationalisc the exemption and to ensure the participation of the general public and trade and industry in the management of resources for fighting the Covid menace, it is requested that suitable action like interaction with the trade associations/Industry association & Tax Bars, Corporate entities be done to publicize the contents of these notifications. The details of the nodal authority of the state (as enclosed) to be shared so that both supplier/donors and importers arc aware and can approach the nodal authority with case for procuring the requisite certificate. Further, an online portal is also being developed for the same the details of which will be shared soon.
4. Difficulty, if any, may be brought to the notice of the undersigned at the email id addletcgsi.audit“gov.in.
Additional Commissioner of State Tax (Audit)
Details of the Nodal officers:
1. Name: Sh. Kumar Rahul, (IAS)
e-mail: [email protected]
2. Name: S. Ravneet Singh Khurana, (IRS C&IT)
e-mail: [email protected]