Shri Ranjit Sinha, an IPS officer of 1974 batch (Bihar cadre) today relinquished the charge of Director, CBI on superannuation. Prior to joining CBI, he served as DG, ITBP.
Shri Sinha had earlier held several important positions in CBI including the post of Joint Director and DIG. He has been associated with the investigations of a number of sensitive and important cases of national and international ramification.
Earlier, Shri Sinha served as Superintendent of Police of Madhubani, Saharsa & Railway(Patna). He has also served as DIG, Magadh Range, Gaya. He has served in CRPF as IG(Ops) at Srinagar, IG(Pers) at Directorate General; ADG in Indo Tibetan Border Police and RPF as DG.
Shri Ranjit Sinha, a Post Graduate in Science from Patna University, has an M.Phil from IIPA, New Delhi and a Diploma in HR Management from Wollongong University, Australia. He has been decorated with the Police Medal for Meritorious Service in 1991 and the President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service in 1997.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CASES DURING THE YEAR 2013 – NOVEMBER, 2014
REGISTRATION OF CASES
CBI was able to exceed its Annual Target under Registration Head during the year 2013 and also exceed the target upto November, 2014.
During 2012, CBI registered 1048 cases (RCs+ PEs). Out of these, 213 cases were registered for demand of bribe by Public Servants for showing official favours and 67 cases were registered for possession of assets disproportionate to known sources of income.
During 2013, CBI registered 1131 cases (RCs+ PEs). Out of these, 224 cases were registered for demand of bribe by Public Servants for showing official favours and 52 cases were registered for possession of assets disproportionate to known sources of income.
Some Important cases registered & Investigated by CBI during 2013 & upto November, 2014 were:
- Railway Bribery Scam (89.68 lacs)
- Bribery case of Chairman Syndicate Bank (Rs. 50 Lac).
- DGM SEBI bribery case (Rs. 25 Lac)
- Bribery Case against Council Member of Dental Council of India. (Rs. 35 Lac)
- Bribery cases against Additional Commissioner, IncomeTax (Rs.15 crore)
- Chief Engineer of Indian Railways (D.A case)
- VVIP Helicopter Case
- Cases relating to FICN
- Iron Ore Freight Evasion Scam
- Allocation of Coal Block Scam Cases
- Rhino Poaching Cases
- NRHM Scam
- Jharkhand Public Service Commission Recruitment Scam (JPSC Scam)
- Kunda Murder Case of Partapgarh
- Badayun rape case
- Multi Crore Chit Fund Scam Cases (West Bengal, Odisha, Tripura & Assam)
- The then Vice Chancellor, Dr. Harisingh Gour Central University, Sagar (MP)
- LTC Scam cases involving as MPs
DISPOSAL OF CASES FROM INVESTIGATION AND TRIAL
During the year, 2012 and 2013, the CBI exceeded its Annual Targets under Investigation and Trial Disposal heads. It has been able to achieve conviction rates of 67% and 68.62% during 2012 and 2013, respectively. Conviction rate up-to October, 2014 is 67.8%. Some of the important convictions during this period were:
- Conviction of former Chief Minister of Bihar in Fodder Scam
- Conviction for murder of Aarushi and Hemraj.
- Conviction of former Chief Minister of Haryana and others in JBT Scam.
- Conviction of 02 Principal Scientific Officers of MHA.
- Conviction of a Chief General Manager of Department of Telecommunication.
- Conviction of 05 private persons in notorious Kidney Transplant Scam.
- Conviction of a Private person for committing murder of an IPS officer at Morena, Madhya Pradesh.
- Conviction of a Scientist of National Aerospace Laboratory, Bangalore.
During the year 2013 and 2014 till date, following Special Drives have been conducted:
- Special Drive conducted in the first week of January 2013 to apprehend Proclaimed Offenders / Absconders (37 PO/Absconders arrested).
- Special Drive in the third week of March 2013 to unearth corruption in Central Excise and Customs (2 PE and 09 RCs registered)
- Special Drive in the third week of June 2013 to unearth corruption in Railways, Regional Passport Officers and Central Government Health Schemes (9 PEs and 08 RCs registered)
- Special Drive conducted in the first week of August 2013 to apprehend Proclaimed Offenders / Absconders (25 PO/Absconders arrested).
- Joint Surprise Checks were conducted in the second week of November 2013 to check malpractices at Railway Reservation Centres. (01 RC and 01 PE registered)
- Special Drive conducted in the first half of April month of 2014 to apprehend Proclaimed Offenders / Absconders (44 PO/Absconders arrested).
- Special Drive conducted in the last week of August 2014 to apprehend Proclaimed Offenders / Absconders (14 PO/Absconders arrested).
Creation of new units/cells in CBI
- Anti-Human Trafficking Unit
- Sports integrity Unit
- MoUs signed with National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Sardar Patel University of Police, Gujarat Forensic Science University; Netherlands Forensic Institute, Netherlands for capacity building and research.
Other Notable Activities
- CBI celebrated its Golden Jubilee during his tenure in which Hon’ble President of India released CBI Logo on CBI.
- Postal Stamp was released by Hon’ble Prime Minister of India during Golden Jubilee Celebrations
- Construction of CBI Building in Mumbai & Goa
- Construction of office & Residence at Imphal, Lucknow, Guwahati, Raipur, Trivananthapuram & Pune
- Printing Press established at CBI Academy, Ghaziabad which has led to saving of substantial amount on stationery
- More functional, administrative and financial autonomy to CBI
- The film on working of the CBI “In pursuit of Truth” was also released during Golden Jubilee celebrations