DOCUMENT CONTAINING OFFER OF SECURITIES FOR SALE TO BE DEEMED PROSPECTUS
1. Any document by which the offer for sale to the public is made shall, for all purposes, be deemed to be a prospectus issued by the company;
2. All enactments and rules of law as to the contents of prospectus and as to liability in respect of mis-statements, in and omissions from, prospectus, or otherwise relating to prospectus, shall apply with the modifications specified in sub-sections (3) and (4) and shall have effect accordingly, as if the securities had been offered to the public for subscription and,
Securities being offered for sale to the public if it is shown:
|(a) that an offer of the securities or of any of them for sale to the public was made within 6 months after the allotment or agreement to allot; or||(b) that at the date when the offer was made, the whole consideration to be received by the company in respect of the securities had not been received by it.|
*(3) Section 26 as applied by this section shall have effect as if —
(i) it required a prospectus to state in addition to the matters required by that section to be stated in a prospectus
|(a) the net amount of the consideration received or to be received by the company in respect of the securities to which the offer relates; and||(b) the time and place at which the contract where under the said securities have been or are to be allotted may be inspected;|
(ii) the persons making the offer were persons named in a prospectus as directors of a company.
(4) Where a person making an offer to which this section relates is a company or a firm, it shall be sufficient if the document referred to in sub-section (1) is signed on behalf of the company or firm by two directors of the company or by not less than one-half of the partners in the firm, as the case may be.
COMMENT: MATTERS TO BE STATED IN PROSPECTUS
(1) Every prospectus issued by or on behalf of a public company either with reference to its formation or subsequently, or by or on behalf of any person who is or has been engaged or interested in the formation of a public company, shall be dated and signed and shall1[state such information and set out such reports on financial information as may be specified by the Securities and Exchange Board in consultation with the Central Government:
Provided that until the Securities and Exchange Board specifies the information and reports on financial information under this sub-section, the regulations made by the Securities and Exchange Board under the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992, in respect of such financial information or reports on financial information shall apply.–
(c) make a declaration about the compliance of the provisions of this Act and a statement to the effect that nothing in the prospectus is contrary to the provisions of this Act, the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Act, 1956 (42 of 1956) and the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992 (15 of 1992) and the rules and regulations made there under; and
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall apply—
|(a) to the issue to existing members or debenture-holders of a company, of a prospectus or form of application relating to shares in or debentures of the company, whether an applicant has a right to renounce the shares or not under sub-clause (ii) of clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 62 in favour of any other person; or||(b) to the issue of a prospectus or form of application relating to shares or debentures which are, or are to be, in all respects uniform with shares or debentures previously issued and for the time being dealt in or quoted on a recognised stock exchange.|
(3) Subject to sub-section (2), the provisions of sub-section (1) shall apply to a prospectus or a form of application, whether issued on or with reference to the formation of a company or subsequently.
COMMENT: THE DATE INDICATED IN THE PROSPECTUS SHALL BE DEEMED TO BE THE DATE OF ITS PUBLICATION.
(4) No prospectus shall be issued by or on behalf of a company or in relation to an intended company unless on or before the date of its publication, there has been delivered to the Registrar for Filing, a copy thereof signed by every person who is named therein as a director or proposed director of the company or by his duly authorised attorney.
(5) A prospectus issued under sub-section (1) shall not include a statement purporting to be made by an expert unless the expert is a person who is not, and has not been, engaged or interested in the formation or promotion or management, of the company and has given his written consent to the issue of the prospectus and has not withdrawn such consent before the delivery of a copy of the prospectus to the Registrar for filing and a statement to that effect shall be included in the prospectus.
(6) Every prospectus issued under sub-section (1) shall, on the face of it
|(a) state that a copy has been delivered for 5[filing] to the Registrar as required under sub-section (4); and||(b) specify any documents required by this section to be attached to the copy so delivered or refer to statements included in the prospectus which specify these documents.|
(7) The Registrar shall not register a prospectus unless the requirements of this section with respect to its registration are complied with and the prospectus is accompanied by the consent in writing of all the persons named in the prospectus].
(8) No prospectus shall be valid if it is issued more than 90 days after the date on which a copy thereof is delivered to the Registrar under sub-section (4).
IF A PROSPECTUS IS ISSUED IN CONTRAVENTION OF THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION, PUNISHMENT WILL BE
FOR COMPANY 50000 Rs. <= FINE <= 3,00,000 Rs.
FOR PERSON 50000 Rs. <= FINE <= 3,00,000 Rs.
IMPRISONMENT – UPTO 3 YEARS OR WITH BOTH.
Disclaimer: The Article is based on the Relevant Provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation. In no event I shall be liable for any direct and indirect result from this Article. This is only a knowledge sharing initiative.
The Author – CS Deepak Seth (Associate Partner at Helpinghands Professionals LLP) and can be reached at email@example.com or 9910248911.