Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes

New Delhi, 26th May, 2017.


CBDT Issues Clarification on furnishing Statement of Financial Transaction (SFT) & SFT Preliminary Response

Section 285BA of the Income Tax Act, 1961 requires furnishing of a statement of financial transaction (SFT) for transactions prescribed under Rule 114E of the Income Tax Rules, 1962. The due date for filing such SFT in Form 61A is 31st May 2017.

In case there are reportable transactions for the year, the reporting person/entity is required to register with the Income Tax Department and generate Income Tax Department Reporting Entity Identification Number (ITDREIN) The same can be generated by logging-in to the e-filing website ( with the log in ID used for the purpose of filing the Income Tax Return of the reporting person / entity. Entity having PAN can take only PAN based ITDREIN. Entity having TAN can generate an ITDREIN only when such TAN’s Organisational PAN is not available.

The registration of reporting person (ITDREIN registration) is mandatory only when at least one of the Transaction Type is reportable. A functionality SFT Preliminary Responsehas been provided on the e-Filing portal for the reporting persons to indicate that a specified transaction type is not reportable for the year.

Detailed procedure of ITDREIN registration and upload of Form 61A is available under the “Help” section and Form 61A utility and Schema are available under the download section of and Online filing of form 61A requires a valid class 2 or 3 digital signature certificate of person responsible for filing the same. Please refer “DSC Management Utility” manual under help section on how to generate the signature file, attaching the XML with signature and uploading of XML with signature file in e-Filing portal.

(Meenakshi J Goswami)

Commissioner of Income Tax

(Media and Technical Policy)

Official Spokesperson, CBDT.


More Under Income Tax



    I find in my 26 AS that banks have reported sft 005 for term deposit placed by me. These TDs are from my previous TDs’ matuirity value in the same bank or brought from other bank which were in my IT Return.
    Am I to respond while filing my Return now?

  2. m.Hari krishna says:

    Is soleproprietor is required to give reply to SFT Preliminary responses ,I had gone through complaince portal under SFT preliminary responses its showing of my pan a.y year ,i had of transactions of SFT tranactions to be reported .process to be followed can any one suggest

  3. Aditi Vyas says:

    How to report in case transactions were between Indian & Foreign company for issue of shares. As PAN is mandatory in the form, if PAN is not available person has to file Form 60. But Form 60 is available in the case of individual.


    are there any chances in postponing the date for furnishing the Form 61A details from 31st May 2016 to June 2016.
    And what if we fail to furnish the details in time?

  5. V.K.Verma says:

    In case there are reportable transactions for the year, the reporting person/entity is required to register -IN OTHER WORDS,THERE IS NO NEED TO FILE FORM 61A IF THERE ARE NO REPORTABLE TRANSACTIONS

  6. Tabassum Pathan says:

    Yes. If tgere are no reportable transactions, only preliminsry response is to be submitted and there is no need to generate ITDREIN for this.

  7. T K Shanbhag says:

    Now it is clear. If any entity is reportable transaction, it needs to register ITDREIN and file Form 61A. If the eligible assessee has got no reportable transactions, uploading of only Preliminery Response is sufficient. For uploading Preliminery Response, no registration of ITDREIN is required.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

June 2021