Chairman. CBDT &
Special Secretary to the Government of India
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
Ministry of Finance/Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
North Block, New Delhi-110001
E-mail : email@example.com
Tele 23092648 & Telefax : 23092544
DO No. CBDT/19/2016/Com-coord
1st November 2016
My dear colleagues,
On taking over responsibility of the Chairman, CBDT, I consider it necessary to spell out the priorities that we need to pursue collectively in the coming months. The guiding principle is ‘to facilitate honest tax payers while focusing upon effective enforcement in a fair, transparent and objective manner‘.
These priorities are as under:
1. Maximising revenue collection: Every possible step needs to be taken for not only achieving the budget collection targets but also exceeding the same.
2. Delivering quality tax payer services: Senior officers in the field must ensure delivery of quality tax payer services. While ensuring quick grievance redressal, we must analyse the most common reasons for grievances and take effective steps to prevent the same. All CPGRAMSgrievances must be disposed of within the time prescribed.
3. Promoting digital tax administration and transparency: We have to ensure time-bound roll out of all the modules of ITBA, train the users at the ground and make it fully operational within next 6 months. 1 will share the road-map for implementation of other on-going projects. shortly.
4. Widening of tax base: Dedicated efforts must be made for widening of tax base. The information available from System Directorate, particularly the non-PAN information, must be prioritised and taken to its logical conclusion in a time bound manner.
5. Expediting dispute resolution & prevention: Disposal of appeals by CIT(A) needs to be expedited & due attention paid to appeals etc pending at other forums. It is equally important to take steps to prevent avoidable disputes. CBDT would proactively issue required clarifications on the issues flagged to it.
6. Taking effective enforcement actions: Field formation must ensure that intrusive actions are based upon credible information of large scale tax evasion, keeping in view most effective utilisation of available resources. The officers and officials engaged in such actions must demonstrate objective, honest & fair conduct. They need to respect valuable rights of the tax payers while firmly discharging their duties, without fear.
7. Providing enablers: We shall make all out efforts to ensure availability of requisite human and physical infrastructure to achieve the objectives. I will review the position of pending HR and other infrastructure issues and come back to you with a specific roadmap, shortly. Senior officers in the field formation must endeavour to address genuine hardships and grievances of the staff members.
I have identified some action points for meeting the above priorities. I shall appreciate if you could email your constructive and specific suggestions in this regard within 15 days at firstname.lastname@example.org so that the same could be duly considered by the Board while firming up the specific roadmap.
Together with all Members of the Board, I hope to work with you to live up to the expectations of the Government and the Nation.
With best wishes!
All the officers and officials of the Income Tax Department