CA Bimal Jain
Touted as an anti-evasion measure, E-way bill has been made mandatory for inter-state movement of goods from April 1, 2018 after technological glitches forced the government to defer the implementation from the initial rollout date of February 1, 2018.
This time the portal has been made friendlier with certain new features to accommodate typical transactions of the trade. For ease of your digest, we are summarising herewith certain updates related to E-way bill system:
- Presently, E-way bill operations are not available for intra-state (within the state) movement of goods, except for Karnataka State. Therefore, in Karnataka E way bill is required for both Inter and Intra-state movement of goods.
- A new set of Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) is released on E way Bill on April 1, 2018.
- Now ‘Bill to – Ship to’ transactions can be easily handled on E-way bill portal: Sometimes, the tax payer raises the bill to somebody and sends the consignment to somebody else as per the business requirements. There is a provision in the e-way bill system to handle this situation, called as ‘Bill to’ and ‘Ship to’. In the e-way bill form, there are two portions under ‘TO’ section. In the left hand side – ‘Billing To’ GSTIN and trade name is entered and in the right hand side – ‘Ship to’ address of the destination of the movement is entered. The other details are entered as per the invoice.
- Now ‘Bill from – Dispatch from’ can also be handled on E-way Bill portal: Sometimes, the supplier prepares the bill from his business premises to consignee, but moves the consignment from some others’ premises to the consignee as per the business requirements. This is known as ‘Billing From’ and ‘Dispatching From’. E-way bill system has provision for this. In the e-way bill form, there are two portions under ‘FROM’ section. In the left hand side – ‘Bill From’ supplier’s GSTIN and trade name are entered and in the right hand side – ‘Dispatch From’, address of the dispatching place is entered. The other details are entered as per the invoice.
- In PART – B there is a new column inserted to cover if the goods are moving through Regular Truck or Over Dimensional Cargo, the “Vehicle Type” allow the option to select such conveyance.
- After login to the dashboard by your User Id and Password, the 5Th Sub option will appear namely “Extend Validity” at the left hand side of the dashboard under Option “E way bill”. By clicking this option, the person who has generated the E way bill can extend the validity of E way bill for further period under exception circumstances like trans-shipment.
- Calculation of day for validity of E-way bill is being clarified by FAQ released on April 01, 2018 with an example : Suppose an E-way bill is generated at 00:04 hrs. on 14th March. Then first day would end on 12:00 midnight of 15 -16 March. Second day will end on 12:00 midnight of 16 -17 March and so on.
For your easy understanding on various procedures and intricacies of E-Way Bill system covering basic provisions, specific case studies of ‘Bill to-Ship to’, Sales return, Dispatch from different locations, multiple invoices etc., Mr. Bimal Jain has discussed these aspects via Facebook LIVE discussion on April 2, 2018.
To video can be accessed at: https://youtu.be/nUqlbk5piuY
(Author can be reached at Email: [email protected])