Sec. 35 (2) of CGST Act – Every registered or unregistered owner of warehouse or godown or place used for storage of goods and every transporter shall maintain records of consignor, consignee and other relevant details of the goods in such manner as may prescribed.
Rule 56(17) of CGST Rules
Any person having custody over the goods in the capacity of:
a) a carrier or
for delivery or dispatch thereof to a recipient on behalf of any registered person shall maintain true and correct records in respect of such goods handled by him on behalf of such registered person and shall produce the details thereof as and when required by the proper officer.
Rule 58 of CGST Rules: Records to be maintained by owner or operator of godown or warehouse and transporters.
(1) Every person required to maintain records and accounts in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 35, if not already registered under the Act, shall submit the details regarding his business electronically on the common portal in FORM GST ENR-01, either directly or through a Facilitation Center notified by the Commissioner and, upon validation of the details furnished, a unique enrollment number shall be generated and communicated to the said person.
(2) The person enrolled under sub-rule (1) as aforesaid in any other State or Union territory shall be deemed to be enrolled in the State or Union territory.
(3) Every person who is enrolled under sub-rule (1) shall, where required, amend the details furnished in FORM GST ENR-01 electronically on the common portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(4) Subject to the provisions of rule 56,-
(a) any person engaged in the business of transporting goods shall maintain records of goods transported, delivered and goods stored in transit by him alongwith the Goods and Services Tax Identification Number of the registered consigner and consignee for each of his branches.
(b) every owner or operator of a warehouse or godown shall maintain books of accounts with respect to the period for which particular goods remain in the warehouse, including the particulars relating to dispatch, movement, receipt and disposal of such goods.
(5) The owner or the operator of the godown shall store the goods in such manner that they can be identified item-wise and owner-wise and shall facilitate any physical verification or inspection by the proper officer on demand.
The author is a practising CA and is registered Insolvency Professional. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org , Mob. +91 9953587496.
Do you think CBDT should extend Tax Audit Report and relevant ITR Due Date? Please Comment, Vote, Retweet and Like.— Tax Guru (@taxguru_in) September 18, 2018