OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF CUSTOMS (NS-I),
APPRAISING MAIN (IMPORT),
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU CUSTOM HOUSE, NHAVA- SHEVA,TAL-URAN,
F.No. S/22-Gen- 20/2020-21/ AM (I)/JNCH
Sub: Streamlining of UQCs in Bills of Entry and Shipping Bills – reg.
Attention of Importers/Exporters, Custom Brokers, Trade and other stakeholders is invited to the above mentioned subject.
2. Board had undertaken an exercise towards standardization of Unit Quantity Codes (UQCs) for purposes of export / import declarations filed on EDI. It was noted that many importers and exporters use UQCs like BGS, BTL, BOX, CTN, GGR, HPT, KPC, ODD and DRM etc. which are neither stipulated in the Customs Tariff Act nor prevalent in the normal business transactions. These nonconvertible/inappropriate UQCs lead to a poor quality of data capture and related implications.
3. As a first measure, declaration of quantities in Statistical UQCs (SQCs) as prescribed under the Tariff Act have been made mandatory in both imports (since Feb 2019) and exports (since Feb 2020) for every item in addition to the quantities declared in the commercial units as per the invoice. The SQC declarations are being captured in the Single Window table of the Bills of Entry and Shipping Bills.
4. In order to further improve data quality, even among the commercial UQCs declared for the items as per the invoice, henceforth only codes as mentioned in the Annexure would be permitted in BEs/SBs. Declarations in any other UQC will not be
5. The above changes will come into effect from 20.08.2020.
6. Difficulty, if any, faced in implementation of this public notice may be brought to the notice of the Addl. /Joint Commissioner (Appraising Main (Import)) through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. This Public Notice should be considered as Standing Order for the purpose of officers and staff of department.
Annexure: As above
(Sunil Kumar Mall)
Commissioner of Customs (NS-I)
1. The Chief Commissioner of Customs, Mumbai Zone-II, JNCH.
2. The Commissioner of Customs, NS-G/ NS-I/ NS-II/ NS-III/ NS-Audit/NS-V, JNCH.
3. All Additional/Joint/Dy./Asstt. Commissioners of Customs, JNCH.
4. All Sections/Group of NS-G/ NS-I/ NS-II/ NS-III/ NS-Audit/ NS-V, JNCH.
5. AC/DC, EDI for uploading on JNCH website immediately.