REGD. NO. D. L.-33004/99
The Gazette of India
PART II—Section 3—Sub-section (ii)
PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
NEW DELHI, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2017/KARTIKA 29, 1939
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
(Department of Financial Services)
New Delhi, the 20th November, 2017
S.O. 3648(E).—Whereas, the use of Aadhaar as identity document for delivery of services or benefits or subsidies simplifies the Government delivery processes, brings in transparency and efficiency, and enables beneficiaries to get their entitlements directly in a convenient and seamless manner and Aadhaar obviates the need for producing multiple documents to prove one’s identity;
And whereas, the Department of Financial Services (hereinafter referred to as the Department), Ministry of Finance in the Government of India is administering the Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana (VPBY) (hereinafter referred to as the Scheme) as a pension scheme for the senior citizens, implemented through Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) (hereinafter referred to as the Implementing Agency). The Scheme was announced in two versions in the Union Budgets 2003-04 and 2014-15;
And whereas, the Scheme envisages an assured rate of return to the individuals who purchase this plan (hereinafter referred to as the beneficiaries). LIC is entrusted with the responsibility of managing the funds under the Scheme with a provision of management expenses allocated there for, and the shortfall, if any, in the assured returns to the policy holders (hereinafter referred to as the benefit) as envisaged under the Scheme, which involves expenditure incurred from the Consolidated Fund of India;
Now, therefore, in pursuance of the provisions of section 7 of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 (18 of 2016) (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), the Central Government hereby notifies the following, namely:—
1. (1) An individual eligible for receiving the benefit under the Scheme is hereby required to furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar number or undergo Aadhaar authentication.
(2) Any individual desirous of availing the benefit under the Scheme, who does not possess the Aadhaar number or, has not yet enrolled for Aadhaar, is hereby required to make application for Aadhaar Enrollment by 31st December, 2017 provided she or he is entitled to obtain Aadhaar as per the provision of section 3 of the said Act and such individuals shall visit any Aadhaar enrollment centre (list available at Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) website uidai.gov.in) for Aadhaar enrollment.
(3) As per regulation 12 of Aadhaar (Enrollment and Update) Regulations, 2016, the Department through its Implementing Agency, is required to offer Aadhaar enrollment facilities for the beneficiaries who are not yet enrolled for Aadhaar, and in case there is no Aadhaar enrollment center located in the respective Block or Taluka or Tehsil, the Department through its Implementing Agency shall provide Aadhaar enrollment facilities at convenient locations in coordination with the existing Registrars of UIDAI or by becoming UIDAI Registrar themselves:
Provided that till the time Aadhaar is assigned to the individual, benefit under the Scheme shall be given to such individuals, subject to the production of the following documents, namely:—
(a) (i) if she or he has enrolled, her or his Aadhaar Enrollment ID slip; or
(ii) a copy of her or his request made for Aadhaar enrollment, as specified in sub-paragraph (2) of paragraph 2 below; and
(b) (i) Bank Passbook or Post office Passbook with Photo; or (ii) Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card; or (iii) Passport; or (iv) Ration Card; or (v) Employee Government ID Card; or (vi) Voter Identity Card; or (vii) MGNREGS card; or (viii) Kisan Photo passbook; or (ix) Driving license issued by the Licensing Authority under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988); or (x) Certificate of identity having photo of such person issued by a Gazetted Officer or a Tehsildar on their official letter head; or (xi) Any other document as specified by the Department:
Provided further that the above documents shall be checked by an officer specifically designated by the Department or its Implementing Agency for that purpose.
2. In order to provide convenient and hassle free benefit to the beneficiaries under the Scheme, the Department through its Implementing Agency and its other offices shall make all the required arrangements including the following, namely:—
(1) wide publicity through media and individual notices shall be given to the beneficiaries to make them aware of the requirement of Aadhaar under the Scheme and they may be advised to get themselves enrolled at the nearest Aadhaar enrollment centers available in their areas by 31stDecember, 2017, in case they are not already enrolled and the list of locally available enrollment centers shall be made available to them.
(2) In case, the beneficiaries under the Scheme are not able to enroll for Aadhaar due to non-availability of enrolment centres in the vicinity such as in the Block or Taluka or Tehsil, the Department through its Implementing Agency shall provide Aadhaar enrollment facilities at convenient locations, and the beneficiaries may register their requests for Aadhaar enrollment by giving their names, addresses, mobile numbers and other details as specified in the first proviso to sub-paragraph (3) of paragraph 1, with the designated official of the Implementing Agency or through the web portal provided for the purpose.
3. This notification shall come into effect from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette in all the States and Union territories except the States of Assam, Meghalaya and the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
[F. No. I-13016/01/2017-Ins.I]
N. SRINIVASA RAO, Economic Advisor