Q 1. What are offences and Penalty for non registration of GST? Was it 25000 Rs ?
Ans 1: Under section 122(1) (xi) of Central Goods and Services Act, 2017 for non Registration despite being liable to register he shall be liable to pay a penalty of ten thousand rupees or an amount equivalent to the tax evaded or the tax not deducted under section 51 or short deducted or deducted but not paid to the Government or tax not collected under section 52 or short collected or collected but not paid to the Government or input tax credit availed of or passed on or distributed irregularly, or the refund claimed fraudulently, whichever is higher.
Q 2: I haven’t applied for GST registration. Transition from Service Tax was automatic. Suggest the way to cancel the registration.
Ans 2: As per sub-rule (4) of Rule 24 of of CGST Rules, 2017 wherein application for cancellation can be filed tin FORM GST REG-29. Every person registered under any of the existing laws, who is not liable to be registered under the Act may, on or before 31st October, 2017, at his option, submit an application electronically in FORM GST REG-29 at the common portal for the cancellation of registration granted to him and the proper officer shall, after conducting such enquiry as deemed fit, cancel the said registration.
Q 3: Accidentally validated GST registration through OTP. Some information was not correct can I change it now.
Ans: Core field amendment in registration has also been available, now you can amend. Please refer rule no 19 of CGST Rules, 2017.
Extract of Rule 19 of Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 is as follows :-
19. Amendment of registration.- (1)Where there is any change in any of the particulars furnished in the application for registration in FORM GST REG-01 or FORM GST REG-07 or FORM GST REG-09 or FORM GST REG-10 or for Unique Identity Number in FORM GST-REG-13,either at the time of obtaining registration or Unique Identity Number or as amended from time to time, the registered person shall, within a period of fifteen days of such change, submit an application, duly signed or verified through electronic verification code, electronically in FORM GST REG-14, along with the documents relating to such change at the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner:
Provided that —(a) where the change relates to,‑
(i) legal name of business;
(ii) address of the principal place of business or any additional place(s) of business; or
(iii) addition, deletion or retirement of partners or directors, Karta, Managing Committee, Board of Trustees, Chief Executive Officer or equivalent, responsible for the day to day aff ai rs of the busi ness,-
which does not warrant cancellation of registration under section 29, the proper officer shall, after due verification, approve the amendment within a period of fifteen working days from the date of the receipt of the application in FORM GST REG-14 and issue an order in FORM GST REG-15 electronically and such amendment shall take effect from the date of the occurrence of the event warranting such amendment;
(b) the change relating to sub-clause (i) and sub-clause (iii) of clause (a) in any State or Union territory shall be applicable for all registrations of the registered person obtained under the provisions of this Chapter on the same Permanent Account Number;
(c) where the change relates to any particulars other than those specified in clause (a), the certificate of registration shall stand amended upon submission of the application in FORM GST REG- 14 on the common portal;
(d) where a change in the constitution of any business results in the change of the Permanent Account Number of a registered person, the said person shall apply for fresh registration in FORM GST REG-01:
Provided further that any change in the mobile number or e-mail address of the authorised signatory submitted under this rule, as amended from time to time, shall be carried out only after online verification through the common portalin the manner provided under sub-rule(2) of rule 8.
(2) Where the proper officer is of the opinion that the amendment sought under sub-rule (1) is either not warranted or the documents furnished therewith are incomplete or incorrect, he may, within a period of fifteen working days from the date of the receipt of the application in FORM GST REG-14, serve a notice in FORM GST REG-03, requiring the registered person to show cause, within a period of seven working days of the service of the said notice, as to why the application submitted under sub-rule (1) shall not be rejected.
(3) The registered person shall furnish a reply to the notice to show cause, issued under sub-rule (2), in FORM GST REG-04, within a period of seven working days from the date of the service of the said notice.
(4) Where the reply furnished under sub-rule (3) is found to be not satisfactory or where no reply is furnished in response to the notice issued under sub-rule (2) within the period prescribed in sub-rule (3), the proper officer shall reject the application submitted under sub-rule (1) and pass an order in FORM GST REG -05.
(5) If the proper officer fails to take any action,‑
(a) within a period of fifteen working days from the date of submission of the application, or
(b) within a period of seven working days from the date of the receipt of the reply to the notice to show cause under sub-rule (3),
the certificate of registration shall stand amended to the extent applied for and the amended certificate shall be made available to the registered personon the common portal.
Q 4: Is there a separate GSTIN for TDS as a separate registration is required? Or the GSTIN remains same for both registrations?
Ans: Separate registration is there for TDS person, pls refer Rule no 12 of CGST Rules, 2017. Extract of Rule 12 of Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 is as follows :-
12. Grant of registration to persons required to deduct tax at source or to collect tax at source.-(1)Any person required to deduct tax in accordance with the provisions of section 51 or a person required to collect tax at source in accordance with the provisions of section 52 shall electronically submit an application, duly signed or verified through electronic verification code, in FORM GST REG-07 for the grant of registration through the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(2) The proper officer may grant registration after due verification and issue a certificate of registration in FORM GST REG-06 within a period of three working days from the date of submission of the application.
(3) Where, upon an enquiry or pursuant to any other proceeding under the Act, the proper officer is satisfied that a person to whom a certificate of registration in FORM GST REG-06 has been issued is no longer liable to deduct tax at source under section 51 or collect tax at source under section 52, the said officer may cancel the registration issued under sub-rule (2) and such cancellation shall be communicated to the said person electronically in FORM GST REG-08:
Provided that the proper officer shall follow the procedure as provided in rule 22 for the cancellation of registration.
Q 5: How to do double registration for different business verticals within same state ?
Ans: Please refer Rule No 11 of CGST Rule, 2017 for registration of Business verticals.
Extract of Rule 11 of Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 is as follows :-
11. Separate registration for multiple business verticals within a State or a Union territory.-(1) Any person having multiple business verticals within a State or a Union territory, requiring a separate registration for any of its business verticals under subsection (2) of section 25 shall be granted separate registration in respect of each of the verticals subject to the following conditions, namely:‑
(a) such person has more than one business vertical as defined in clause (18) of section 2;
(b) the business vertical of a taxable person shall not be granted registration to pay tax under section 10 if any one of the other business verticals of the same person is paying tax under section 9;
(c) all separately registered business verticals of such person shall pay tax under the Act on supply of goods or services or both made to another registered business vertical of such person and issue a tax i nvoice for such supply.
Explanation.- For the purposes of clause (b), it is hereby clarified that where any business vertical of a registered person that has been granted a separate registration becomes ineligible to pay tax under section 10, all other business verticals of the said person shall become ineligible to pay tax under the said section.
(2) A registered person eligible to obtain separate registration for business verticals may submit a separate application in FORM GST REG-01 in respect of each such vertical.
(3) The provisions of rule 9 and rule 10 relating to the verification and the grant of registration shall, mutatis mutandis, apply to an application submitted under this rule.