1. Taxpayers opting for quarterly filing of return will have to select the last month of the quarter from the drop down menu. However, for the month of July 2017, GSTR-1 has to be filed separately by all taxpayers, as option to file quarterly returns is applicable for returns from August 2017 onwards.
2. If a taxpayer opts to file quarterly return, and their annual turnover is less than Rs 1.5 Cr (on basis of their turnover in previous financial year or in case of new registration obtained after 1st July 2017, expected turnover for current financial year), then in such cases GSTR-1 of August, 2017 is disabled and he can file details for August and September, 2017 in GSTR 1 of September,2017 and so on.
3. Thus, taxpayers who opt for quarterly return filing will have to file GSTR-1 of the various tax periods in the following manner:
4. Taxpayer who has already filed GSTR 1 for July 2017, will not be able to revise the same. However, amendment relating to invoices and other relevant document of July 2017 can be made through amendment Table (Table 9).
5. Once taxpayer has chosen the option “Quarterly”, they cannot change this option in the remaining part of the financial year 2017-18. Thus, they will be required to file Quarterly returns and they cannot opt for Monthly filing of returns during current financial year.
Taxpayers, who have opted for Quarterly filing of Form GSTR 1, please note:
1. Once you have chosen the option ‘Quarterly’, you cannot change this option in the remaining part of the financial year 2017-18. Thus, you will be required to file Quarterly returns and you cannot opt for Monthly filing of returns.
2. Return Filing for Quarter July to September 2017 is as below:
a) If you have filed Form GSTR 1 for July 2017, you have to file GSTR 1 for August and September, by choosing the Return period ‘September 2017 GSTR 1’.
b) If you have NOT filed Form GSTR 1 for July 2017, you will have to first file Form GSTR 1 for July 2017 and then file Form GSTR 1 for August and September, by choosing the Return period ‘September 2017 GSTR 1’.
3) Form GSTR 1 for filing next Quarterly Return (October to December 2017), will be made available after December 2017.