F.No. 01/89/180/Moni-5852/AM-03/PC-2 (A)/Pt.III/P-13343
Government of India
Ministry of Commerce and Industry
Department of Commerce
(Directorate General of Foreign Trade)
Udyog Bhawan, H-Wing
Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi-110011
Policy Circular No. 29/2015-2020
All Customs Authorities
All Regional Offices of DGFT
Many representations have been received from trade & industry seeking clarification on Notification No.17 dated 5th September, 2019 (Steel Import Monitoring System). The issues and responses thereto are given below:
1. Can steel and steel parts be imported through airfreight without SIMS registration?
Response: There is no restriction on mode of transport but SIMS will not be applicable on air freighted goods as this mode is used for emergency/small volume -high value goods required at short notice.
2. Whether SIMS registration will be valid for shipment/consignment basis or on all imports of a particular item? Whether registration is bill of entry wise or based on monthly projection quantity? Whether SIMS registration is valid for multiple HS codes items together or for a particular item?
Response: Registration can be taken for a quantity of one or more items (multiple HS codes) which can be imported through more than one consignment within the validity of the Registration (75 days). In other words, any number of consignments can be imported by a single Registration within the validity of the Registration.
3. Will SIMS be applicable to imports through Advance Authorisation, DFIA and import to SEZs?
Response: SIMS is applicable to imports through Advance Authorisation, DFIA and import to SEZs.
4. Can returnable steel racks imported on temporary import and FOC basis be exempted from SIMS registration and given fee waiver?
Response: These are not for domestic consumption and on returnable basis; hence SIMS not applicable.
5. Is there a need to submit a declaration in case the consignment reaches Indian sea port before or after stated ETA? Is there any provision in cases where importer fails to register goods prior to actual import?
Response: There is no need of any declaration. Import consignment can’t be cleared without a registration.
6. Whether any variation in actual CIF value & stated CIF value is allowed?
Response: A reasonable variation ranging within 5-10% won’t be a problem.
7. How will imports designated in currency other than USD & INR be treated?
Response: Currency other than US $ will have to be converted to US $ at a rate published by Customs for that a particular month.
This issues with approval of competent authority.
Deputy Director General of Foreign Trade
(For Director General of Foreign Trade)