₹1,11,000 Crore worth of Goods and Services have been purchased through GeM till now. After the Launch of the GeM Portal in August 2016 by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, it has shown rapid growth.
For those who aren’t familiar with the term ‘GeM,’ let’s get on the same page.
The Government e-Marketplace, or GeM, is an online platform for central and state government agencies to procure public goods and services. Sellers, manufacturers, and OEMs who want to sell directly to the government can now register on the GeM portal. There are multiple steps involved in the GeM Registration.
After successful ID Creation and Profile Completion, manufacturers and resellers need to claim their OEMs through Vendor Assessment to sell their goods/services.
Let’s understand all about the Vendor Assessment starting with its definition first.
What is Vendor Assessment?
Vendor Assessment is one aspect of Vendor validation on the GeM portal. It is done to determine the quality of a vendor and its products & services. From 1 August 2017, all the manufacturers and resellers are required to claim their OEM to be able to offer their goods and services on GeM.
It’s a filterable parameter on GeM that buyers can use to narrow down their options for vendors. The merchant and vendor gain reputation and authenticity as a result of this. Currently, the Quality Council of India (QCI) is in charge of conducting vendor assessments of all vendors on GeM.
Some important key points of Vendor Assessment are:
Benefits of Registering on GeM as Seller
1. Access to the National Public Procurement market.
2. Special provisions and sections for startups,MSMEs, and Emporium products.
3. Sellers belonging to North-East states and J & K are exempted from ITR at the time of bid participation.
4. Direct access to Government departments and their organizations.
5. Easy access to participate in bids/reverse auctions.
Documents Required for Vendor Assessment
Following is the list of initial documents to be furnished by sellers for carrying out Vendor Assessment:
1. Company/ Firm registration documents
2. Name, Contact details with the e-mail address of the promoters
3. PAN card copy
4. Memorandum of Association & Articles of Association (in case of Companies) or Partnership Deed (in case of Partnership firm)
5. GST registration (all required in case of multiple billing addresses)
6. Cancelled Bank Cheque
7. Copy of Purchased Order copies, Delivery Challans, GRN (Goods Received Note), Invoice for Government Tenders/ Businesses for the last three financial years. These documents are required for all the order details filled in the form of government orders and corporate orders.
8. Financial Statements (Profit & Loss Statement and Balance Sheet) for the last three financial years.
9. Vendor Principal Agreement copy (applicable if the entity is a dealer or a vendor of an OEM)
10. Banker Reference Letter on account performance
11. Management undertaking stating that the firm is not debarred/blacklisted by any Government Organizations.
12. Management undertaking for years of experience in dealing with Government Organizations.
Process of Vendor Assessment
The overall process of Vendor Assessment is carried out in 2 steps:
1. Desktop Assessment
2. Video Assessment
Desktop Assessment: In the desktop assessment, all the documents related to the manufacturer and their goods/services need to be submitted. The aim of this assessment is to validate the organizational details which also include the financial capacity, production capacity, and authenticity of the vendor’s profile.
Video Assessment: Video assessment can also be understood as confirmation and verification of all the information provided through desktop assessment. In this step, an expert validates the entire process through video calling with the help of a mobile-based application. Video Assessment confirms the physical location, process capacity, safety measures, supply, and other relevant things.
The validation of a vendor on GeM involves a number of procedures. For a successful Vendor Assessment on GeM, proper documentation and expert guidance are needed. Following my research, I discovered Professional Utilities to be a specialist in this field. Anyone can Call or WhatsApp them on 9716711090 for assistance with anything related to GeM.