Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) which has the supreme authority related to food like manufacturing, processing, packing, transportation and its distribution. It has become mandatory for everyone to acquire food license for everyone who are in the chain which requires the food handling at any stage. License or registration wit FSSAI is compulsory for all those who are doing business related to food. Whether FBO requires a license or registration depends upon the factors like capacity of production, handling nature of food business activities and area of operation.
Need for getting FSSAI registration
1. High degree of consumer confidence in safety and quality of food.
2. It helps to promote innovation in food products.
3. It helps in removal of multiple regulations.
4. It facilitates trade without compromising consumer safety and a larger share.
Procedure for Obtaining FSSAI registration
1. FSSAI registration is initiated by submitting Form A (application) to food and safety department.
2. This application can be accepted or it may be rejected by the department within 7 days from the applicant in writing.
3. If the application is accepted, then the department will grant a registration certificate with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
4. Food Business Operations (FBO) should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.
Documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration.
1. Form A – completed and signed
2. Photo identity of FBO
3. Proof of possession of premises
4. List of Food Products to be dealt with
FSSAI Registration types
1. Basic license: If the annual turnover of the business is less than 12 lakhs then the food operator shall get registered with Registration Form A. the food business operators like petty food manufacturers and also the small sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc are required to obtain FSSAI registration. FSSAI registration is however issued by the state Government. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
2. State license: If the annual turnover of the business is between 12 lakhs to 20 crores then the food business operator shall apply for state license Form B. Food business operators like small to medium business manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc. are however required to obtain the FSSAI State License. The state license is issued by the State Government and it is important that you have operations in only state. The maximum tenure is 5 years and the minimum tenure is 1 year.
3. Central license: If the annual turnover of the business is above 20 crores then the food business operator shall apply for central license Form B. food Business operators such as the importers, 100% Export oriented units, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government Agencies, Airports, Seaports, are however required to obtain a central food license. The central license is issued by the Central Government. Further, FBOs have to obtain central license for their head office, and if they have operations in more than 1 state. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and minimum tenure is 1 year.
Documents required for central/State FSSAI:
1. Form B duly completed and signed (in duplicate) by the proprietor or partner or authorized signatory.
2. Blueprint/Layout of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation wise area allocation (Mandatory for manufacturing and Processing units only).
3. List of Directors/proprietors/ executive members of society/ Trust with full address and contact details (Mandatory for companies only).
4. Name and list of equipments and machinery along with number, installed capacity and horse power used (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
5. Photo Identification and address proof issued by the Government for Proprietor/ Partner/Directors/ Authorized Signatory (optional).
6. List of food category desired to be manufactured (for manufacturers only).
7. Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officer in inspection, collection of samples, packing and dispatch (for manufacturers and processors).
8. Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized / public health laboratory to confirm the portability. (Mandatory for Manufacturers and Processing Units).
9. Proof of possession of premises (sales deed/rental agreement/ electricity bill) (optional).
10. Partnership Deed or Declaration for Proprietorship or MOA & AOA along with Certificate of Incorporation and List of Directors with address. In case of Company, three pages must be uploaded: (First Page – Certificate of Incorporation, Second Page – Authorization of food business activity and Third Page – List of Directors with addresses).
11. Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act – 1861 / Multi State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives. (If applicable).
12. NOC & Copy of License from manufacturer. (Mandatory for Retailers and Repackers).
13. Food Safety Management System Plan or Certificate (if any).
14. Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centres in case of milk and milk products processing units (if applicable).
15. Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (if applicable).
16. Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognized/Public health labrotary.
17. Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on whom the product is distributed (optional).
18. NOC from Municipality or Local Body (optional).
19. Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU.
20. Supporting documentary proof of turnover.
21. NOC/PA documents issued by FSSAI.
22. IE Code document issued by DGFT.
23. FSSAI Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution.
24. Certificate provided by Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Transporters).
25. Documentary proof of turnover or self declaration of number of vehicles (Mandatory for Transporters).
26. FSSAI Declaration Form.
Conclusion: After implementation of FSSAI food business is under strict observation. For more details go to MYEFILINGS