The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), working under the aegis of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, is organizing a three-day International Conference on Accountancy Profession: Catalyst to Sustained Economic Growth, here from today. To be conducted during January 4-6, 2011, at Vigyan Bhawan, the aim of the Conference is to dwell deeper into an emerging paradigm of accountancy profession and bring the Indian and global perspectives together on the broader issues of contemporary relevance. It will provide an opportunity to accounting and related professionals to upgrade themselves professionally.
The International Conference will be inaugurated by the Finance Minister, Shri Pranab Mukherjee. Minister of Corporate Affairs, Shri Salman Khurshid and Deputy Speaker, Rajya Sabha, Shri K. Rahman Khan will be the Guests of Honour. Shri R. Bandyopadhyay, Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs will also grace the occasion. During a special session in the evening today an MoU will be signed between Higher Colleges of Technology, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, UAE, and the ICAI. ICAI Awards for Excellence in Financial Reporting will also be distributed at the Conference.
On the second and third day of the Conference, renowned experts from across the world would share their views on the issues of contemporary and emerging interest to accountancy profession on the following broad thematic issues:
· Economic Resilience through Good Governance
· Harmonization of Global Standards on Accounting and Auditing
· Financial reporting
· Risk-Based Assessments
· Governance and Ethics
· Professional Panorama to include emerging paradigms of professional themes.
Some of the eminent speakers addressing various sessions will be:
* Mr. Vinod Rai, Comptroller & Auditor General of India (C&AG)
* Mr. Ian Ball, CEO, International Federation of Accountants (IFAC)
* Mr. T. V. Mohandas Pai, ED, Infosys Technologies
* Mr. Noriaki Shimazaki, Trustee, IFRS Foundation
* Mr. Mark Spofforth, Vice-President, Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
* CA. Y. H. Malegam, Chairman, National Advisory Committee on Accounting Standards
* Mr. C. R. Sundaramurti, Controller General of Accounts of India, Ministry of Finance
* Arun Maira, Member, Planning Commission.