e-Filing – Objective
What is e-Filing
The process of electronically filing Income tax returns through the internet is known as e-Filing.
√ “To make it possible for the tax payers, tax Deductor, tax professionals, other agencies directly or through authorized intermediaries, to submit their Returns and other forms, and / or avail other services electronically in an accurate, comprehensive, and expeditious manner from anywhere at anytime in a simple and easy to use manner
√ “Provide a technologically sophisticated and an a thenticated solution to meet the taxpayers’ expectations of confidentiality and security “.
√ “Automate end to end process for return preparation, payments, assessment and refund crediting “
√ “To reduce taxpayers’ compliance burden by providing an improved, efficient and high quality internet based solution”
e-File Home Page
Online e-Filing Process — (ITR 1 & ITR 4)
1. Login to e-Filing Portal and go to “e-File”–> “Income Tax Return”
2. Select the “Assessment year”, “ITR Form Name” and “Submission Mode”
3. Select e-Verification mode as applicable. If e-verification options are not available Select sending ITR-V to CPC
4. Fill all the applicable fields in the ITR.
5. Enter EVC/OTP for e-verifying your ITR(OR) Send the signed ITR-V to CPC for verification
6. e-filing of ITR Complete
Offline e-filing Process
1. Download the applicable ITR Excel/Java Utility from e-filing portal
2. Fill all the applicable fields in the ITR utility and generate the XML file.
3. Login to e-Filing Portal and go to “e-File” –> “Income Tax Return”
4. Select the “Assessment Year”, “ITR Form Name” and “Submission Mode”
5. Select e-verification mode as applicable. If e-verification options are not available select sending ITR-V to CPC
6. Upload the generated XML file.
7. Enter EVC/OTP for e-verifying your ITR(OR) Send the signed ITR-V to CPC for verification.
8. e-Filing of ITR Complete.
1. Login to e-Filing Portal and go to “e-File” –> “Income Tax Return”
2. Click on “e-Verify” link available against the ITR which is to be e-Verified.
3. Select e-Verification mode as applicable.
4. Enter EVC/OTP for e-verifying your ITR.
5. e-Verification of ITR is complete.
e-Filing — User Types
Note: DSC is mandatory for:
e-Filing — New Forms and Functionalities
The e- Proceeding is available for all applicable type of notices, questionnaire, and letter issued under various sections of the IT Act.
e-Filing – EVC
An alternate verification process of e-Verifying the return where the user is provided with a unique EVC to e-Verify the return. This will solve the problem of sending ITR-V to CPC Bangalore.
Electronic Verification through:
1. Net Banking – Associated with 34 Banks.
2. Aadhaar OTP – Aadhaar linking with the PAN.
3. Bank Account Number- Bank Account Number must be pre-validated in e-Filing Portal
4. Demat Account – Demat account has be pre-validated in e-Filing portal
S. EVCthrough ATM -EVC can be generated through Bank ATM (SBI and Axis Bank)
Single Window to raise Grievances through e-Filing portal. Enabling to
address all the issues raised by Taxpayers.
(a) Assessing Officer (ITO/ACIT) or Su pervisory Hierarchy
(b) Centralized Processing Center for TDS returns (CPC-TDS)
(c) Centralized Processing Center for Processing Status (CPC-ITR)
(d) E-Filing Website Team
(f) Directorate of Systems
e-Filing —e-Vault Higher Security
Restricting the methods/options for Login and locking the reset password options will secure account from possible misuse. This is an additional security.
Higher Security Options- e-Filing Login and Reset Password
(a) Net Banking
(b) Aadhaar OTP
(c) Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)
(d) Bank Account EVC
(e) Demat Account EVC
Specific option or multiple options can be selected from the above options for Higher Security
e-Filing —Additional Functionalities
Validation Rules for AY 2018-19
To improve the data quality received in ITRs through commercial software, validation rules are deployed sothat the data uploaded can be validated.
Prevalidation of Demat Account Details
Electronic Verification Code (EVC) can be generated by pre-validating your Demat account on the e-Filing portal.
Prevalidation of Bank Account Details
Electronic Verification Code (EVC) can be generated by pre-validating your bank account on the e-Filing portal.
Enhanced Download Prefilled XML
Download prefilled XML which was available only Address and Tax Details is now available for previous Return Income Details and other details as well.
Registration now in e-Filing is authenticated by a six digit OTP sent to both e-mail ID and mobile number. Hence concept of activation link has been removed.
Enhanced Refund Reissue Functionality
Refund Reissue can be submitted only by submitting either by EVC or DSC
♦ Very useful and convenient portal. Convenient because one can avoid the trouble of visiting IT of ce(unless personal presence called for) and can settle all matters relating to IT by sitting at home. Thanks for settlement of my grievance and the message on my mobile.
♦ Ever since CPC wos established, submitting returns on line has become much easier. Particularly for those like me who are seniors con sit at home and do it. Also processing and getting refund is quicker. A big thanks to the Government
♦ Since from starting of online returns I am using the facility, it is always a better year after year. I am late to appreciate but the Portal is really awesome and very user friendly.
♦ I am a regular user of this website for e-filing my IT returns for the last 70 years ever since this wos conceived. Year after year, I can find that the experience of using this website is becoming better and better. Really impressed with the way this initiative is being undertaken. Congratulations.
♦ Excellent Website. There is so much info here and so easy to use. Learnt it by myself Simple, very user friendly. No agents needed, no fear needed. EVC, linking of Aadhar and PAN, forms, xml, all top-class. Keep it up. Thanks to Govt of India and the website developers.