Landlord’s PAN not needed to claim HRA if annual rent is below Rs 1 lakh and f rent paid exceeds Rs.1 lakh per annum, it is mandatory for the employee to report PAN of the landlord to the employer.

An employee who receives HRA can claim an exemption in respect of rental payments under section 10(13A) read with rule 2A of the Income Tax Rules. For claiming an HRA exemption, the individual must be residing in a rented premises and actually pay rent for the house .

In case one stays in a house owned by him/her, exemption shall not be available and the entire amount of HRA shall be taxable.

The HRA exemption shall be restricted to least of the following:

1) Actual HRA received from the employer;

2) Excess of house rent paid over 10% of the salary; and

3) 50% of the salary if one lives in a metro city (i.e. Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai), or 40% of the salary if one lives in non-metro cities.

The term ‘salary’ includes dearness allowance, if terms of employment so provide, but excludes all other allowances and perquisites.

Further, if the Tax Return of an individual is selected for scrutiny or audit by a tax officer, the tax officer may insist for additional documents such as Rent Agreement,copy of bank account statements, depending on the quantum of HRA exemption. The officer can also ask for rent receipts irrespective of the amount of rent. Though there are no prescribed documents under the domestic tax law, as a matter of prudence, the employee has to keep, as the employer may also request it, the notarized registered rent agreement with the landlord, rent receipts, copy of the bank statements, and other such documents to substantiate the payment of rent.

Concept image of Accounting Business Acronym PAN Permanent Account Number written over road marking yellow paint line.

Further, if rent paid exceeds Rs.1 lakh per annum, it is mandatory for the employee to report Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the landlord to the employer alongwith the following details as per Form 12BB:-

a) Rent paid to landlord

b) Name of the landlord

c) Address of the landlord

The plain reading of Circular No. 01/2019 dated 1st January, 2019 and Form 12BB suggest that the limit of Rs. 1 lakh applies per landlord.

Query : if any one have paid rent to two landlords of amounts below Rs. 1 lakh each (for eg. Rs.1.8 lakh in total). Do I still need to submit the PAN details of both my landlords to my employer for claiming the HRA exemption? 

Reply : As per the income tax provisions, Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the landlord is required to be furnished if the aggregate of the rent paid during the previous year exceeds Rs. 1 lakh. The plain reading of Circular No. 01/2019 dated 1st January, 2019  and Form 12BB suggest that the limit of Rs. 1 lakh applies per landlord. As such, since in your case the total rent paid per landlord does not exceed the limit of Rs. 1 lakh, PAN details of any of the landlords may not be required to be furnished in order to claim the HRA exemption.

(Republished with Amendments)

Author Bio

Qualification: CA in Practice
Company: N/A
Location: New Delhi, New Delhi, IN
Member Since: 09 Jan 2018 | Total Posts: 1

More Under Income Tax


  1. Samiksha Khurana says:

    My company is asking for rent agreement but I don’t have it. Can i claim while filing ITR? I have receipts and bank statements claiming I transferred rent to my landlords account. The annual rent is less than 1lakh

  2. SHARATH KUMAR says:

    I co borrowed a home loan where property was in my spouse name and paid full home loan last year. I reside in my parents home. Can I avail HRA?

  3. SURESH says:

    land lord does not have PAN card and rent is paid in cash. Also the annual rent paid is 1,80,000 . how is claim HRA exemption in Form 12BB. please help

  4. anil bhaskarrao kulkarni says:

    if one officer is paid rent for break period or short period in this financial year, whether he is entitled for house rent exemption for income tax.

    1. CAATULMISHRA says:

      Not necessary, mentioning PAN of land lord in Form 12BB is sufficient. but if u have rent agreement, u may give. Even u must have rent agreement for future reference.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

January 2021