Case Law Details
Case Name : M/s Alpha Nipon Innovatives Ltd Vs. CIT (Gujarat High Court At Ahmedabad)
Appeal Number : Special Civil Application No. 7720/2016: 16/11/2016
Date of Judgement/Order :
Related Assessment Year :
CA Saurabh Chokhra
Brief of the case:
- The Hon’ble Gujarat HC in the above cited case held that a reference to the Transfer Pricing Officer (TPO )can be made only after passing a speaking odder disposing off the objections raised by assessee. In the present case since, the reference was made without passing such a speaking order, the reference so made was invalid.
- Therefore, AO required to make fresh reference after passing a speaking order.
Facts of the case:
- The petitioner reached to High court by filling a write petition under Article 226 of the Indian Constitution. The assessee in the present petition challenged that despite the specific instructions issued by the CBDT issued vide Instruction No.3/2016 dated 10th March, 2016, by which,before making a reference to the TPO, the Assessing Officer is required to deal with the objection raised by the petitioner assessee and is required to pass a speaking order disposing off the same.
Contention of the Revenue:
- Revenue contended that the assessee has itself accepted that it has entered into specific domestic transactions , therefore, reference made by AO to TPO to validate the transfer price declared by assessee was valid and for that no requirement of passing speaking order.
Held by Hon’ble Gujarat HC:
- It is not in dispute that AO did not pass a speaking order while making reference to the TPO which is a requirement of Instruction No 3/2016 dated 10th March, 2016 issued by the CBDT.Before making a reference to the TPO, the assessee is required to be given an opportunity to show cause why the reference may not be made to the TPO and thereafter a speaking order is required to be passed by the Assessing Officer while making a reference to the TPO.
- In view of the above the reference so made by AO without passing a speaking order being invalid herby quashed and the matter to be remitted back to AO to pass a speaking order after considering the objections raised by the petitioner.
- Such exercise shall be completed within a period of four weeks from the date of this order.
Qualification: CA in Job / Business
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, IN
: 19 Aug 2018 | Total Posts
My Published Posts