Government of India
Ministry of Commerce
Directorate General of Foreign Trade
Udyog Bhavan, New Dehli – 110 011.
Policy Circular No. 29 (RE-01)/1997-2002
Sub : Guidelines for import of Rough Marble Blocks/Slabs.
Attention is invited to EXIM Code No. 251511 00, 251512 00 & 251520 02 indicated in ITC(HS) Classifications of Export and Import Items, April 1997-2002 (as amended upto 31.3.2001). As per the provisions contained therein, import of Marble and Travertine – Crude or Roughly trimmed, Merely cut, by sawing or otherwise, into blocks or slabs of a rectangular (including square) shape & other Calcareous Stone is restricted and subject to import licensing procedures. Applications for such licences are considered by the EXIM Facilitation Committee(EFC) (an Inter-Ministerial Committee comprising of representatives from various Ministries/Departments), in the DGFT, New Delhi.
2. It is clarified that “The EXIM Facilitation Committee (EFC)” will consider the applications of the eligible applicants in the following manner:-
a) Those applicants who have set up manufacturing / processing units in the country and have made imports of these items in the preceding years when these items were under SIL list.
b) 4/5 star hotels on the basis of recommendation of Ministry of Tourism.
c) Applicants of places of worship / trusts of international repute etc., on the basis of recommendation of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
3. It is further clarified that these licences shall be subject to the following floor price which shall be endorsed on all licences.
i) For crude or roughly trimmed marble – US$300 per Metric Tonne (MT);
ii) For rough marble blocks – US$300 per Metric Tonne (MT); and
iii) For Slabs – US$ 450 per Metric Tonne (MT)
4. In case of applicants at 2(a) above, Value of the licence to be issued in one year shall be limited to 50% of the average CIF Value of imports made by them during the years when this item was under SIL.
5. All licences shall be subject to actual user condition.
6. Prospective Licence holders shall file monthly returns regarding imports made by them to the concerned Regional Licensing Authority.
8. The eligible applicants may file an application in the form given in Appendix 8 together with all relevant documents as per the procedure laid down under para 5.29 of the Handbook of Procedures, Vol. I1997-2002.
This issues with the approval of Director General of Foreign Trade.
Joint Director General of Foreign Trade