As we all are aware that, currently the refund shall be issued to the pre-validated bank account only. There can be instances such as incorrect bank account details, incorrect address, IFSC Code and so on due to which the CPC has rejected the refund of the taxpayer and communicated through email. In such cases of refund failure, taxpayer can raise the service request for Refund Re-issue in e-Filing portal.

Two modes of issuing Income Tax Refunds:

  • By crediting the Income Tax refund amount in Assesse Bank account if the taxpayer has correctly mentioned the Bank account details in Income Tax Return.
  • By sending the Income Tax refund cheque if taxpayer has correctly submitted Bank Account details in Income Tax Return.

Income Tax Refund

Steps to raise Income Tax Refund Re-issue Request

Step 1 Logon to ‘e-Filing’ Portal
Step 2 Click on ‘My Account‘ menu and click ‘Service Request’ link.
Step 3 Select the ‘Request Type’ as ‘New Request’ and Select the ‘Request Category’ as ‘Refund Reissue’. Click ‘Submit’.
Step 4 Details such as PAN, Return Type, Assessment Year (A.Y), Acknowledgement No, Communication Reference Number, Reason for Refund Failure and Response are displayed.
Step 5 Click ‘Submit’ hyperlink located under ‘Response’ column. All the prevalidated bank accounts with status validated/validated and EVC enabled will be displayed.
Step 6 Select the bank account to which the tax refund is to be credited and click ‘Continue’. Details such as Bank Account Number, IFSC, Bank Name and Account Type are displayed for the taxpayer to cross verify the same.

Note : If the taxpayer do not have any Pre-validated bank accounts, then the taxpayer is directed to Pre-validate bank account Screen. In this screen the tax payer should enter all relevant details of the bank account where he intends receive refund and click on ‘Pre-validate’ button to proceed with the request submission. After this Account is pre-validated by the concerned bank, the bank account will be automatically considered for refund re-issue. This account will now be displayed under Pre-validated bank accounts in the e-Filing portal.

In case the pre-validation of account fails, then the same will be communicated to the taxpayer by CPC. The taxpayer is required to resubmit the request for refund re-issue/pre-validation of bank account.

Step 7 Click ‘OK’ in popup if the details are correct and the options for e-Verification appear in the dialogue box. Choose the appropriate mode of e-Verification, Generate and enter Electronic Verification Code (EVC)/Aadhaar OTP as applicable to proceed with the request submission.
Step 8 If Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) is registered in the profile, generate the signature file by downloading the ‘DSC Management Utility’ and upload the same to proceed with the submission.
Step 9 A success message will be displayed confirming the Refund Re-issue request submission.

Steps to view the status of submitted Refund Re-issue request

Step 1 Logon to ‘e-Filing’ Portal
Step 2 Go to the ‘My Account’ and Click on ‘Service Request’. Then select the ‘Request Type’ as ‘View Request’ and Select the ‘Request Category’ as ‘Refund Reissue’
Step 3 Click ‘Submit’

(Republished with Amendments)

More Under Income Tax


  1. Ganesh ch Das says:

    I received message from it Deptt, due to non connection of pan with bank account , although relevant papers were submitted for the same, hence re issue is requested.

  2. T R Nagar says:

    My IT refund for AY for 17-18 has failed as advised by IT due to incorrect account number.while I have mentioned correct account number in Return.After several contacts with them at different phone numbers they are not telling me what exactly the refund account number has been put by in the return.they are advising only e-steps to follow which after several attempts showing refund failures.Iam at sea what to do.even sent XML file for verification.

  3. KALAVATHI K V says:

    my refund is not come A Y 2017-18 ATLPK0839P

    A/C NO 17212010005248
    MICR : 570025015
    IFSC NO : SYNB0001721

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

January 2021