“Missed the ITR deadline No worries! Learn how to file your Income Tax Return for the last three years using ITR U form. Follow step-by-step instructions, gather documents, and avoid penalties.”
Missed deadline of filing your ITR? No worries
Yes, Its possible to file ITR of last 3 years through ITR U form
What is ITR U
ITR-U is the Form that allows you to update your income tax return by rectifying errors for up to two years from the end of the relevant assessment year.
Who can file ITR U
Any person who has made an error or omitted certain income details in any of the following returns can file an updated return:
If you have not filed your Income Tax Return (ITR) for the last three years, you can still file it. Here are the steps you can follow to file ITR for the last three years:
1. Gather all the necessary documents: To file ITR for the last three years, you need to gather all the necessary documents like Form 16, Form 26AS, bank statements, and other documents related to your income and investments for each of the years.
2. Download the relevant ITR form: You need to download the relevant ITR form for each of the three years from the Income Tax Department’s website.
3. Fill in the details: Once you have downloaded the ITR form, you need to fill in the details like your personal information, income details, deductions, and tax paid for each of the years.
4. Compute the tax liability: After filling in all the details, you need to compute your tax liability for each of the years. You can use an online tax calculator to compute your tax liability.
5. Pay any pending taxes: If you have any pending taxes for any of the three years, you need to pay them before filing the ITR. You can pay the taxes online using the Income Tax Department’s website.
6. File the ITR: Once you have filled in all the details and paid any pending taxes, you can file the ITR for each of the three years online on the Income Tax Department’s website.
7. Verify the ITR: After filing the ITR, you need to verify it using your Aadhaar card, net banking, or by sending a physical copy of the ITR-V to the Income Tax Department.
By following these steps, you can file ITR for the last three years. However, it is always recommended to file your ITR on time to avoid any penalties or interest charges.
The author is a GST and Income Tax practisioner and can be contacted at Mobile : 9024915488