Central Board of Direct Taxes, issued Circular No. 18 of 2023 on Income Tax. This circular, dated 20th October, 2023, discusses the extension of the filing deadline for Income Tax reports. The order was made under section 119 of the Income-tax Act, 1961.
The circular addresses the difficulties faced by taxpayers and other stakeholders in meeting the timely filing requirements of the report of the accountant, as mandated under clause (8) of section 10AA, read with clause (5) of section 10A of the Income-tax Act, 1961. These challenges arose due to the notification of the relevant Form 56F on 19th October, 2023.
In light of these challenges, the Central Board of Direct Taxes, in the exercise of its powers under section 119(2)(b) of the Income Tax Act, 1961, has taken a significant step to alleviate genuine hardship in such cases. The circular announces an extension of the due date for filing the accountant’s report. The extended due date for Assessment Year 2023-24 has been moved from the specified date under section 44AB to 31st December, 2023.
F. No. 370142/40/2023-TPL
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
Order under section 119 of the Income-tax Act
On consideration of difficulties arising to the taxpayers and other stakeholders in timely filing of report of accountant required to be filed under clause (8) of section 10AA read with clause (5) of section 10A of the Income -tax Act, 1961 on account of notification of relevant Form 56F on 19.10.2023 and with a view to avoid genuine hardship to such cases, the Central Board of Direct Taxes, in exercise of its powers under 119(2)(b) of the Income Tax Act, 1961, hereby extends the due date of filing of report of the accountant as required to be filed under clause (8) of section 10AA read with clause (5) of section 10A of the Act, for Assessment Year 2023-24 from the specified date under section 44AB to 31st of December, 2023.
(Amrit Pritom Chetia)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
1) OSD to FM/ PS to MOS (R)
2) PS to Secretary (Revenue)
3) Chairman (DT), All Members, Central Board of Direct Taxes
4) All Pr CCsITI, Pr DsGIT/DsGIT/CCsIT
5) All Joint Secretaries/CsIT, CBDT
6) ADG (PR, P&P) for necessary action.
7) DGIT (Systems), New Delhi/Bangalore, for appropriate change in the software of the System.
8) The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, I P Estate, New Delhi-110002
9) CIT (Media), Official Spokesperson of CBDT
10) Database Cell with a request to upload the order on the website irsofficersonline.gov.in.
11) Web Manager, National Website, for uploading the Order on the website for wider publicity.