31st July is approaching fast which is the last date for filing of Income Tax Return for the Assessees who are not required to get there books of account audited under the provisions of Income Tax Act, 1961. CBDT has recently vide notification NO. 14/2012 dated 28.03.2012 made it mandatory to file Income Tax Return online for Individual & HUF who are having Total Income Exceeding Rs. 10 lakh. In this article we have given below the steps to be taken to file online Income tax Return for Assessment year 2012-13 :-
1. First - Login to the website (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in). If you aren’t registered already, you can do so with the help of your PAN. It acts as your user ID in this case.
2. Second – Download the appropriate ITR form for individuals listed in the site. Go to the ‘Downloads’ menu and choose ITR-I (Sahaj), if your only source of income is salary or pension. Those with income from one house property or interest income or can also use this form. Remember, the current assessment year is 2012-13. 3.Third – Open the downloaded excel utility.
4. Fourth – Enter all the details asked for in downloaded ITR Form (Excel utility).
5. Fifth- Validate the filled details in ITR Form by hitting the ‘Validate’ key. An XML sheet will be generated and saved on your computer.
6. Sixth – You can upload this XML file on to the I-T portal after selecting AY 2012-2013 and the relevant form. You will be asked whether you wish to digitally sign the file. If you have obtained the DS (digital signature), select Yes. Else, choose ‘No’.
7. Seventh – If a message regarding successful e-filing is flashed on your screen, you can consider the process to be complete. Your ITR-Verification form will be mailed to your registered e-mail ID.
8. Eighth -Now, all you need to do is to get a print-out of the ITR-V ( only in black ink ), put your signature and send it by ordinary post to the Income Tax Department-CPC, Post Bag No-1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore – 560100, Karnataka within 120 days of filing your returns on-line.
9. Ninth- It is important to ensure that your tax return reaches this office within 120 days, failing which, you will have to go through the process all over again.
10. Tenth – If you do not receive an acknowledgement from the I-T Department in due course, you can send the form again. However, don’t opt for courier services under any circumstance as it will not be accepted.