All salaried employees have to file their income tax returns by July 31. To do this, it is necessary to have the Form 16 document, issued by your employer. Form 16 gives details of tax deducted and the branch of the bank where it is deposited into the central government account. For example, if a TDS of Rs 2,332 and education cess of Rs 68 are deducted from your April salary, Form 16 details the same. It does so for every month in the financial year. It is the final certificate issued by your employer giving details of the salary you have earned and the tax deducted on your behalf and paid to the government.

This certificate is given to you at the end of the financial year, generally by April 30. In case there hasn’t been any TDS from your salary, you just get a salary certificate, and not the Form 16.

What is Form 16A and how is it different from Form 16?

If you are not a salaried employee and work as a professional for an organisation and earn fees, then the certificate that shows TDS details deducted while making payments to you is Form 16A.

What if you have worked for more than one company or changed jobs during the year?

At the end of the year, you need to collect Form 16 from both your employers as that is the basis on which you would file your returns. When you join a new organisation, you should furnish your TDS details from the previous employer to your current employer. This will help your current employer in deducting tax accordingly. If you do not mention your previous organisation details to your new employer, then you are liable to show the total income from both employees and calculate your tax liability accordingly.

What if I cannot get Form 16 from my previous employer?

Your best option then is to fill Form 12B and submit it to your new employer. The employer will take into account the previous salary you earned while deducting tax.

Do I need to attach Form 16 to my I-T returns?

As per the I-T department rules, it is not necessary to attach the original Form 16 to your income tax returns. However, in your interest, you could attach a photocopy of Form 16 while retaining the original with yourself.

What other particulars should be checked in Form 16?

The first thing you need to confirm in Form 16 is the PAN number. If it is wrong, you have to ask your employer to rectify it and give you a new Form 16. Besides, the employer needs to make a correction at their end by filing revised return of TDS to credit the TDS proceeds to the correctPAN number.

What if there is an error in figures in Form 16?

You need to tally the figures in Form 16 with the tax declaration statement provided by you to your organisation at the beginning of the year. It’s possible that the figures mentioned are either wrong, or not considered at all.

The result would be that fewer deductions would have been shown, resulting in higher tax liability. You might not have submitted the proofs of all investments, or could have forgotten to submit some bills.

If there is an error by the employer, you could request them to rectify it and issue a revised Form 16. If a higher tax has been deducted, you can claim a tax refund while filing your returns

(Republished with amendments)

More Under Income Tax

Posted Under

Category : Income Tax (26762)
Type : Articles (16256) Featured (4128)
Tags : Form 16 (48) Form 16A (31)

51 responses to “Form 16 Salary Certificate- Is It different from Form 16A?”


    I retired from service of central public sector company in Nov. 2016. I got all retirement dues Including Gratuity. TDS DEDUCTED FROM PMT OF GRATUITY. Is it required to mention all TDS pmt transaction towards EMPLOYEES in FORM 16? Or TOWARDS TDS deduction from retirement dues, which certificate of TDS TO BE ISSUED??

  2. Vertika Kedia says:

    No you will not get form 16, only when a company deducts your tax , it issues form no 16. 20000/month means 2.4Lks CTC.
    Government exempts tax upto 2.5Lks income .
    However if you income from anyother source then disclose to the employer , he will deduct tax and then you can get for no 16.

  3. Prabhakaran says:

    Hi, I am getting 18000 salary in hand can i eligible for getting “Form 16” my CTC is also 20000/- please suggest.

  4. Nena ram says:

    NRChoudhary v/p chaba,Teh- Shergarh, Dist-Jodhpur 342022

  5. Kirteekumar Gore says:

    i have misplace my FORM-16 of F.Y.2011-2012. How could i get it????
    is there any online procedure to get FORM-16.

  6. Sandip Kumar says:

    Dear Sir,

    I have been penalized under section 143(1). Actually I have paid my income tax for Financial Year 2006-2007 but it seems IT department does have the same. Therefore I went to my former employer for Form 16. And my former employer said that, they have lost Form 16.

    Now I am in problem. What should I do. My former employer are saying that they can issue Tax Computation Salary Slip. Is this a valid proof and substitute for form 16.

    Please guide me for the above problem

    Sandip Kumar

  7. A K BAGARTY says:

    can i get form 16 from previous organisation on newly appointment to a other organisation

  8. A K BAGARTY says:

    one of our employee joined min. of commerce,office of the joint Director of Explosives on new appointment on 06 Dec 2014.Details of salary alongwith TDS intimate to the in. of commerce,office of the joint Director of Explosives.Kindly advice whether Form-16 for the period Apr 14 to Dec14 is to be issued from this office.

  9. pandi says:

    sir , i am working as an accountant in a co. as per co.we issued form 16 and 16a to our employees . Now a employee ( from 16a ) case , asked with me a salary certificate .

    What will i do. is it possible to issue a salary certificate to form 16A case.

  10. PONNUSWAMI M says:

    Dear Sir,
    One of the Nationalised Bank’s Manager refused to sign the Form 16A issued to me for TDS on FD interest, on the pretext it is a computer generated form and authentication is not necessary. Is it correct?

  11. MOHD DANISH says:

    can i get the form16 from internet

  12. Thirunarayanan says:

    Form 16A is also used by banks for Interest TDS.

  13. Pooja Raval says:

    is it possible that the contract employee in a central government department T.D.S calculate as like regular employee?

  14. Pooja Raval says:

    i want to know that the contract employee in central government department pay salary. how to calculate TDS on that? (as per 194j or 192 )

  15. Neetu Verma says:

    I am getting 17000 salary in hand can i eligible for getting form 16
    my other income py is also 20000/- please suggest

  16. mandeep says:

    i work from july 2014 i want form 16 from salary is 2.10 lacs p.a , tds not deduct by the employer because my salary is not under liable to tax. company refuse to give me form 16 ? i need my form 16 for home loan please guide how can i get my form 16

  17. Afzalkhan Pathan says:

    Dear sir,

    one employee work from 1year he want form 16 from employer. tds not deduct from employee salary by the employer because his salary is not under liable to tax. company can give form 16 ? please guide.

  18. Santosh Kumar says:

    I joined to Central Excise department in january 2014. previously i was working in Indian Railways. I want Form 16 for the full year 2013-14 but this office is not ready to issue the same for full year even after full detail of previous salary month wise has already given. Railway officer advised me that your form 16 will be issued from the current office only. both offices are not ready to issue the same for full year. So i don’t understand what i do or not. Please tell me income tax rule/section under which solution is available. you can send email on

  19. Raju. S says:

    Dear Sir,

    One of our employee has joined in the mid of the year & he has submitted form 16 to us. Now he is asking for merged form 16 from us. can we give the form 16 merged?

  20. rajkumar says:

    sir i have joined the new firm and previously i didnt work any where. but i learnt the work and showed five year experience and entered in this firm. but the problem is that the hr department is asking the the from no 16 which i dont have and my probation period is running is there any problem of losing job, infact the hr department have my pan no with them, plz guide me if there is any soluion out of this.

  21. Ravindra Mhasake says:

    Dear SIR
    I want to help who can fill the return form by online
    pls. help me sir ……
    thanks ….

  22. anoop says:

    I was a contract employee and my employer deducted 10% of salary every month as TDS.Now he is not providing form 16A.He already paid the amount to Income Tax.Now can I refund the amount with out form 16A ?
    any legal action can be taken against employer ?
    can I download form 16A from website?

  23. Kajol says:

    Hi, am an accountant i won’t know about this Form 16 and 16a What’s the difference and my colleagues will ask me to issue form16 how i have to issue? and how i’ll get this please inform me

  24. Dhinakaran says:


    For the retd staff, we r deducting IT for medical claims.In which form the TDS is to be given ?

  25. magimeraj says:

    dear sir,

    perfectly clarified about the 16 A & 16

    thank u sir

  26. Jayesh Jani says:

    Dear Sir,
    I am rather confused about form16 certificate as I would like to know that, is it mandatory to issue a form16 certificate by every employer in one financial year when an employee transferred from one employer to another or the last employer can issue consolidated form16 certificate to the employee on behalf of former employer? Please advise me about the case as soon as u could make it possible…
    Thank you

  27. vinod.a says:

    very clearly explain

  28. Sekar S says:

    Dear Sirs,

    I had worked as a Professional Consultant for 9 months in a lost Tax Year and 3 months as an employee in an organization, where I got Form16A for 3 quarters and will get Form16 for last quarter.
    Request you to explain me how to file my Income Tax Return for this year.

    Thanks and Regards

  29. raja says:

    Dear Sir

    Without form 16 I can file salaried return or not.

  30. umesh v naig says:

    Reg frequent change of employer , no need to panic , you declare the income of previous months to present employer and ask to calcualte tax based on the total income and investment plan.

    Accordinlgy the present employer shall compute and deduct tax and pay

  31. PRABHAKAR says:


    Is it mandatory for the employer to download FORM 16 from TRACES. Please advise us.

  32. Rajesh Patra says:

    I have changed four company in this year 2012-13. So what will do for my form 16. I need a home loan but the bank saying me to give the form 16. Kindly help me….

  33. dinu says:

    Please someone help me in this scenario.

    Till Mid of may 2012 i was working for some company A. After that i have joined some other company B and was there upto mid of july. So here i got 3 payslips.But in this new organisation i did not mention the previous company salary/tax details. Due to some problem i have to leave that company and i joined a new company C with experience of company A not B.Here how should i mention the salary/tax details. Should i calculate the individual TDS,Salary after sec 10 of both A and B and add it to get the correct figure.

    Please someone help me.

  34. JAI SINGH says:

    Dear Sir,
    I am rather confused about form16 certificate as I would like to know that, is it mandatory to issue a form16 certificate by every employer in one financial year when an employee transferred from one employer to another or the last employer can issue consolidated form16 certificate to the employee on behalf of former employer? Please advise me about the case as soon as u could make it possible…
    Thank you

  35. Ankush Singh says:

    Dear Sir,
    My company is a Pvt. Ltd. company..I have been working here since last 4 year.I also had a salary account, I get a salary after TDS deduction done.For loan purpose i need Form-16.But the company is providing me Form16-A,So what can be the provision to have Form-16? please help me….Thank you

  36. Kushal says:

    Dear Sir,

    my previous employer is refusing to issue form16 where i worked for 5 months. they are refusing with reason stating that as no tax deduction is done and so they can’t issue form16 to me.
    while i observe that in final settlements they have done, they have deducted professional tax in it. should i insist for form16 or is there any alternative to file tax for the period for which i don’t have form16.

    Kindly suggest.

  37. Sudha says:

    Dear Sir/Madam
    I have one issue i.c we have the Registered office in Bangalore and the branch office is in Hyderabad and we taken TAN in Bangalore and the transaction are happening in both the office and E-TDS we are currently doing in Our Branch Office i.c in Hydrabad (Andra Pradesh) the issue is can we merge both the entries and can we do the E-TDS in our Registered office Pls clarify on this..

  38. raghunathprasad says:

    i needto get form 16 but my salary is not elegeble for tax deduct so how can i get

  39. indranil acharya says:

    My company is a Pvt. Ltd. company..I have been working with her since last year..I get a fixed amount of salary with PT deduction done only..For some loan purpose i need Form-16..My taxes are not being deducted at source, then what can be the provision to have Form-16? Also earlier i use to work with a Proprietary Firm, where i filed individual IT returns, and there was no tax deduction at source as well..Whether i can demand Form-16 from both these companies?

  40. N.CHANDRAN says:

    dear sir ,

    how can feed form 16, can you help me sir.

  41. chinna says:

    I forgot to mention amount in rupees while issuing of form 16 what will be happen

  42. digvijay singh gusain says:

    sir i need form 16 for loan but i can not feeding so can u help me all figure are arrange by me.

  43. digvijay singh gusain says:

    how can feed form 16

  44. Prashant Joshi says:


    I forgotten to submit proofs of my investment and loan. Will it be possible to change form 16. after TDS deduction.
    What it is the procedure ?

    Joshi Prashant

  45. jyoti says:

    dear sir
    can i issue form 16 ( 01.04.10 to 30.11.10) to staff who is leave the company on 30.11.10 .

  46. S. Venkata Subramanian says:

    Hi Saktivelan,

    To the extent that I could search out, nothing bars the employer issuing a TDS Certificate. The only issue is since PAN is not quoted, he wont see a credit reflected in his Form 26AS. It is his problem to prove and obtain tax credit. So, legally, I think the employer HAS to issue TDS Certificate in this case as well.

  47. S. Venkata Subramanian says:

    Hi Indu,

    I think there is no legal need to issue a Form 16A for the fact that you are explaining. Since no tax has been deducted and paid, there is no tax credit that this gentleman is required to claim at all. Hence there is no TDS in his case and hence he can file a nil return as such. In any case, if his gross total income before chapter VI-A deductions are less than Rs. 1,60,000/= (assuming a non-senior male citizen) then he need not even file a Return of income as we all know.

  48. Vishwajeet says:

    Please tell me if the employer withholds salary and not paid to employee but the same has been included in the gross salary in Form 16.Then what can the employee do?

    Salary withholds / not paid because the employee quits the company. and employee is also okay for paying him a salary. then why it could be added in gross salary in form 16

  49. Gilbert Pinto says:

    While filing return of income, form 16 (salary) tds deductions should be entered month by month( challan wise) or only the annual totals should be entered.

    if month by month , then how to represent 80 c deductions. monthly or annually or average wise.

  50. V. Sakthivelan says:

    Dear sir / madam,

    If an employee does not have PAN, is there any specific rules in Income tax, that prevent to issue Form 16 to that employee.

    V. Sakthivelan

  51. Indu says:

    In my office the staff who does not cover under the tax slab(i.e.below the tax limit but having pan no) also requesting the form 16 stating that they require it for filling their nil return, is this compulsory to give form 16 for these people?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *