Introduction: The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has introduced a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for transfers and postings at the level of US and above under the Department of Revenue. This move aims to bring transparency and efficiency to the process. Here, we delve into the key aspects of the SOP, its implications, and how officers can participate.
1. SOP Overview: The SOP outlines a systematic approach for transfer/postings within various divisions of CBDT, specifically for positions at the level of US and above. It has been established to streamline the process and ensure a fair and transparent mechanism for the selection of officers.
2. Vacancy Details and Timelines: The Database Cell of CBDT is tasked with collecting details of existing and anticipated vacancies twice a year. Officers are required to submit their willingness by filling the prescribed online form, indicating their preferred period of consideration – either April to September or October to March.
3. Tenure and Commitment: The SOP sets the tenure for Director (Dir), Deputy Secretary (DS), and Under Secretary (US) positions at 5, 4, and 3 years, respectively. Officers expressing interest must commit to a minimum posting duration of 3 years if selected, contributing to stability and continuity in the divisions.
4. Application Submission: Officers can submit their applications using the online form (Annexure ‘A’) available on www.irsofficersonline.gov.in. The form includes details such as name, civil code, educational qualifications, present posting, work experience, and preferences for specific divisions.
Committee Decision: A committee comprising the Revenue Secretary, the Chairperson of CBDT, and one Member of CBDT is responsible for deciding transfers/postings. This decision-making process considers the Transfer/Placement Guidelines of 2010 and other administrative requirements.
Conclusion: The introduction of the SOP for transfers and postings within CBDT marks a significant step towards enhancing transparency, fairness, and efficiency in the selection process. By setting clear timelines, tenure expectations, and involving a committee in decision-making, the SOP aims to maintain a balanced and effective workforce. Officers, through the prescribed online form, have an opportunity to express their preferences and contribute to a smoother operational framework within CBDT. Stay informed and engaged with the new SOP for a better understanding of the CBDT transfers process.
F.No. M/35/2024-JDIT-2 (DBC)-CBDT/206
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
North Block, New Delhi
Sub: SOP for transfer/postings in various divisions of CBDT at the level of US and above under Department of Revenue – reg.
Please refer to the above-mentioned subject.
2. With the approval of the Competent Authority, a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is being laid down for transfer/postings in various divisions of CBDT at the level of US and above under Department of Revenue (DoR), as stated under:
i. The Database Cell, CBDT shall call from various divisions of Board the details of existing/likely to arise vacancies for the period April to September by 15th December, and for the period October to March by 15th June of every year. For the first year, the details of existing/likely to arise vacancies shall be called as soon as this SOP is published.
ii. The overall vacancies shall be published by Database Cell along with details of likely number of vacancies, likely period of arising of such vacancies, and the batches eligible for filling up such vacancies. The same shall be published by 15th January and 15th July of every year on www. irsofficersonline.gov.in asking the interested officers to send their willingness by submitting the prescribed online form (Annexure ‘A’). Further, the tenure of Dir/DS/US shall be 5/4/3 years respectively, and the interested officers shall commit to be posted for atleast 3 years, if selected.
iii. The interested officers may also submit their willingness by submitting the prescribed online form at any time (Annexure ‘A). The willingness may include the period for which the officer is willing to be considered (April to September or October to March or both of the relevant FY).
iv. The details of officers who have offered their services for posting at the level of US and above under DoR shall be prepared by the Database Cell alongwith relevant details.
v. The list of officers shall be placed before the committee consisting of the Revenue Secretary, the Chairperson, CBDT, and one Member, CBDT, which shall decide the transfer/postings after taking the Transfer/Placement Guidelines, 2010 and other administrative exigencies into consideration.
This issues with the approval of the competent authority.
Joint Director o Income Tax-2,
Database Cell, CBDT
All Pr. Director Generals of Income Tax/ Director Generals of Income Tax,
All Joint Secretaries and Commissioners of Income Tax in CBDT, and All PPS to Members, CBDT.
(For posting as JS/CIT/Dir/DS/US in CBDT)
To be filled and submitted on www.irsofficersonlinc.gov.in only
|Brief Description of Work Experience
|Preference for any particular division (if any) along with justification thereof
|Period for which this application form may be treated as valid
|(i) April to September of the FY, or
(ii) October to March of the FY, or
(iii) Both (i) and (ii)
|Posting Profile (Period of each posting and designation)
*Disclaimer: Mere submission of this application form does not confer any right to get posted in CBDT,