OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF CUSTOMS (GENERAL)
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU CUSTOM HOUSE
CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE UNIT
NHAVA SHEVA, DISTT. RAIGAD, MAHARASHTRA- 400707
TEL. No. 022-27242411, Fax No. 022 27243245
F. No. SG/MISC-132/2019-20/CIU/JNCH
PUBLIC NOTICE NO. 72/2019-JNCH
Sub: Incomplete description and misclassification in automobile parts and accessories -reg.
Attention of the Importers, Exporters, General Trade, Custom Brokers and all other stakeholders in the jurisdiction of JNCH, Nhava Sheva is invited to the above mentioned subject.
2. It has been noticed that importers importing motor vehicle parts are miss-classifying the automobile parts under wrong CTH and item description is not proper. It has been found from the description/technical name mentioned in the bill of entry that the actual item and its nature is not forthcoming. During one such examination, the item declared in the bill of entry and item found during examination is as follows:
|Sr. No.||CTH declare||Item Description||Proper CTH||Description of goods found|
|1||90292090||CLUSTER ASM-INST||87089900||INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ASSEMBLY|
|2||90328910||MODULE ASM SUN RUF||87089900||SUN ROOF FOR MOTOR VEHICLE|
|3||85371000||CONTROL ASM-M/TRANS||87084000||GEAR ASSEMBLY PART OF CAR|
|4||84149090||FAN ASM-ENG CLR||87089100||FAN FOR RADIATOR|
|5||84138190||CYLINDER ASM-BRK MAS||87083000||CYLINDER ASSEMBLY FOR BRAKES|
|6||40169390||RETRACTOR ASM-F/SEAT BELT||87082100||SEAT BELT FOR AUTOMOBILES|
3. It has been noticed that due to improper description, there is difficulty in assessment and examination and it increases the dwell time. Hence, all Importers are directed to mention proper description of item, they can mention technical name, part No. etc. in brackets.
4. It has also been noticed that automobile parts are declared under CTH 40, 83, 84, 85, 90 under general items where there is no specific CTH for these items as motor vehicle parts, which can be solely used in automobiles. These goods are specifically meant for use as automobile parts and accessories, CTH 8708 specifically covers “Parts and accessories of motor vehicles of headings Nos. 87.01 to 87.05”. These items, therefore, appropriately merit classification under 8708.
COMMISSIONER OF CUSTOMS (G),
1. The Chief Commissioner of Customs, Mumbai Zone-II.
2. All the Commissioners of Customs, Mumbai Zone-II.
3. All Addl/Jt. Commissioners of Customs, Mumbai Zone-II.
4. All Deputy/Asstt. Commissioners of Customs, Mumbai Zone-II. The DC/EDI for Uploading on the JNCH website.