• Dec
  • 28
  • 2014

Rectification Request in case of e-filed I-T Return – FAQ

Posted In Income Tax | , | 43 Comments » Print Friendly and PDF

Article deals with FAQ related to Rectification of errors in case of return filed online.  The article explains about how to file Rectification request, what if you get error in filing rectification u/s 154,  What if demand been wrongly raised or refund been processed at lesser amount.


Can I make rectification or other correspondence with CPC in paper form?

Answer: No

What CPC reference number should I enter while filing Rectification request?

Answer:You need to enter the Communication Reference Number as per the latest order/intimation received from CPC u/s 143(1) OR 154.

I am getting error while filing rectification u/s 154, “Incorrect details. Please enter details as per the latest order.” What should I do?

Answer: This error occurs due to one the following reasons:

1. When you are entering one of the below fields wrongly-

  • Communication Reference Number
  • CPC Order Date

Ensure that you enter the above two fields exactly as mentioned in the CPC Order. Also, please make sure you select the correct Assessment Year.

2. If a subsequent CPC Order exists. For example: If you have received an intimation/order from CPC on 23rd September, 2011 and another on 30th November, 2011 you can file a Rectification using the latest i.e. the order received on 30th November,2011, for the relevant Assessment Year.

3. If you have filed a Rectification for a relevant Assessment Year and the same has been rejected by CPC, a new Order is sent by CPC. Now, if you are filing another rectification using the old CPC Communication Reference number, the error message will occur.

I am getting error while filing rectification u/s 154, “Rectification application already submitted for this Assessment Year.” Can I file another Rectification request?

Answer: No. You can file another Rectification ONLY once the previous one is processed in CPC. You will get an Order u/s 154 once the Rectification is processed. To view the status of your e-Filed Rectification, LOGIN and GO TO ‘My Account’ → ‘Rectification status’.

I want to file a Rectification for correcting data for Tax Credit mismatch ONLY. Do I need to upload an XML (generated from the Excel Return preparing software utility)?

Answer: No. Select the user type as ‘Taxpayer Correcting Data for Tax Credit mismatch only’ and then provide TCS, TDS or IT (Advance Tax/Self Assessment Tax) details. Submit the request. No XML upload/submission is required.

I want to file Rectification to correct data. Do I need to upload an XML (generated from the Excel Return preparing software utility)?

Answer: Yes. However, according to the provision u/s 154 in Income Tax Act, an assessee can only file Rectification for data apparent from the record.

I want to file a Rectification request for reprocessing my Income Tax Return for tax Credit mismatch OR Gender mismatch OR Tax/Interest mismatch. Do I need to upload an XML (generated from the Excel Return preparing software utility)?

Answer: No. Select the user type as ‘No further Data Correction required. Reprocess the case’ and then select the respective check-box: Tax Credit mismatch OR Gender mismatch OR Tax/Interest mismatch. Submit the request. NO XML upload/submission is required.

I am audited under Section 44AB. Is it mandatory for me to file Rectification using Digital Signature Certificate?

Answer: Yes.

I am the authorized signatory of a company. Is it mandatory for me to file Rectification for my company using Digital Signature Certificate?


How can I see the rectification status?

Answer: LOGIN and GO TO ‘My Account’ → ‘Rectification Status’.

My e-Filed Income Tax Return has been processed by CPC raising a demand or with less refund. Whom do I need to approach for Rectification?

Answer: In case your Income Tax Return for the relevant Assessment Year is processed and is with CPC, online Rectification request may be made on website. However, in case, the rectification rights are transferred to AST then, you need to approach AO with rectification application on paper. For knowing whether the processed Income Tax Return is with CPC or AO, the taxpayer should LOGIN and GO TO ‘My Account → My Returns/Forms’ and check the status.

If assessee has uploaded wrong rectification request, what is the process of correction of rectification.

Answer: Assessee can withdraw rectification within 7 days of upload, if assessee has uploaded wrong rectification request. LOGIN and GO TO ‘My Account’ → ‘Rectification status’

Can an Income Tax Return e-Filed with one ITR Form say ITR-2 be rectified in any other ITR form?


The demand raised by CPC has been paid off by me, do I have to file rectification to get this demand reduced?

Answer: No, the demand will automatically get reduced by the payments made therein (minor code 400).

The return for AY 10-11 was a refund, which is adjusted with the demand of AY 2009-10, this demand was already paid off by me what should I do to get the refund wrongly adjusted?

Answer: Apply for rectification for the year of demand AY 2009-10.

If CPC sends intimation after processing the return but the amount of demand/refund is incorrect. At the time of filing of rectification, inspite of providing the correct details, the error message : „Input data does not match the records‟. What is the solution?

Answer : Kindly refer to the following document regarding the „Common Errors noticed while filing rectification‟

Common Errors in E filed I-T rectification requests

If the entire details provided at the time of rectification are correct and still the assessee is facing the above error, then kindly send a mail to efiling@incometaxindia.gov.in with the following details :

CPC Order No

CPC Order Date

Aggregate Income Tax Liability (As Computed)

Total Tax Credit Allowed (As Computed)

43 Responses to “Rectification Request in case of e-filed I-T Return – FAQ”

  1. Bhaskar Soni says:


    While filing the income tax for 2014-2015 i mentioned an LIC policy for 50000 for which I am getting rebate, is now no longer valid because due to some issue i returned that policy in free lock period.

    Can i rectify this mistake while filing my income tax return.


    I notice complaints galore. Can the Tax Guru or some else show the path and guide us?

  3. girish says:

    I made a mistake of filing ITR for wrong assessment year. Now IT department is demanding tax, how do i file rectification request? Kindly inform me what options i need to select for Rectification Request?

  4. Kumar says:

    How to claim the refund of Unmatched tax payment(e-filing).
    1.Self assessment tax was paid with wrong Major head and minor head chosen while paying through online tax payment(SBI) for the AY2013-2014.
    2. Received communication u/s143(1) with demand.
    3.Once again paid self assessment tax with correct major head and minor head and submitted revised return ITR-1
    4.Received communication u/s143(1) with No demand no refund. But I suppose to get refund of the amount I have paid previously with incorrect major head and minor head.
    5.Filed rectification(e-filing).
    6.Received communication u/s154 with No demand no refund. Mentioned Unmatched tax payment claims- advance tax and self assessment tax.

    Now how I can claim the refund of Unmatched tax payment.


  5. JAMIL AHAMAD says:

    Dear Avi, in my opinion if form ITR V is not submitted to CPC the return filed is treated as not submitted. If Return is not digitally signed the ITR V is compulsory for confirmation of submission.

  6. kashyap says:

    I have received the demand of Rs. 1210 from CPC, for which i have paid self assessment tax through separate challan and same is displayed in 26AS. I have filled rectification request as well as responded to outstanding tax demand with challan number. But stiil i have received the order of 154 and saying that rectification process and demand determined. Again I have responded in outstanding tax demand with challan details. But i am unable to fill rectification request. Now what should i do to finish this chapter?
    pls guide.

  7. Avinash says:


    I am facing this problem. While filing IT returns online, I made a mistake and submitted to CPC, Bangalore. The mistake I did was, I selected AY 2013-14(FY 2012-13). Please note that I was not earning during this financial year. So, I do not fall under tax bracket. After realizing the mistake, I submitted new ITR- 1, online and I got acknowledgement. This time, I put correct year – AY 2014-15(FY 2013-14).

    Now, Income Tax department has sent two mails that I have not submitted IT signed hard copy of AY 2013-14 to CPC. My question is why should I submit, because that was incorrect returns for that year. If I submit the ITR-V as it is, I will be paying the tax again which I have already paid after filing the correct returns.

    This tax, I have already paid in AT 2014-15(FY 2013-14). Is there any rectification to inform them to ignore returns I submitted online for AY 2014-15(FY 2013-14).



    As I mentioned earlier, the process of IT returns is becoming such a nightmare with CPC and AOs blaming each other and a common man is driven to either a CA or a Computer specialist, spending heavily on travel, costs & Fees. It is high time that someone in CBDT or Govt took cognisance of the difficulty faced by a large section of tax payers.
    I have also come across the unsympathetic Record Office of the Army deducting Rs.49,970/- from the pay of a Naik fighting the terrorist in J&K. Are we expecting him to save us or run searching an Auditor?
    I wish the CA club takes up the issue with the Govt.
    I am sure that the Hon’ble Prime Minister is unaware such plights.

  9. Mahesh says:

    How to carry out rectification in the e filing after the 15 days due date in response to 139( 9).Pleas provide the entire process to be followed

  10. Mahesh says:

    How to carry out rectification in the e filing after the 15 days due date in response to 139( 9)

  11. rohtas says:

    sir ihave e file ITR ay 2014-15 and receive a error and intimation regarding NO demand no refund due to wrong TAn and AMount emnter so how can submit rectification request for refund
    the intimation say as per CPC order are appended below:-
    Invalid TAN entered in the return: In case Valid TAN Flag is mentioned as ‘N’ in the table below,
    it implies that invalid TAN is quoted by you and in such cases the credit will not be matched with the
    claims. Please check the column No.9 of the Table -2. You are requested to file an application for
    rectification under section 154 by quoting the correct TAN online under 5c

  12. sant kumar gupta says:

    dear sir,
    I am a govt servant (teacher) . for AY2014-15 my total tax which is calculated according form 16 is Rs25987. I deposited Rs25990 as TDS in march 2014 and submitted return online. Now I got an intimation U/S 143(1) to pay Rs29280 (25990+3289) as interest U/S 234 b & U/S 234C.
    kindly guide me what to do.

  13. Purushottam says:

    I filled ITR-2 for the Assessment year 2014-15. TDS is through salary onle. There is no Advance tax. Still i got notice from incometax department to pay advance tax. Since i am a salaried employee and TDS is through salary there is no question of advance tax. How to rectify it from income tax department. Please suggest me steps for rectifying online throgh efilling site.

  14. V Balakrishnan says:

    I filed a rect request after having recd notice under Sec 143. Reason for filing rect was that 10 E was not uploaded earlier when original return was filed in June 2014. The rect request is processed but demand determined again of the same amt of 10E and demand recd a second time under section 154. What is to be done pls ?

  15. Kundan says:

    Dear Sir
    I have received intimation u/s 143(1) for AY 2013-14 in which some TDS was mismatched due to which lower amount of refund credited in my bank account.
    There after i have made rectification under “Tax payer is correcting data for tax credit mismatch only” and I have Entered only those TDS details which was mismatched and there after another intimation u/s 154 received from CPC in which only those tax credit is given which was mismatched earlier hence there is demand by taking earlier refund
    So my question is at the time of rectification whether i should give details of all TDS & Advance Tax etc. or Only those TDS & Advance Tax which was mismatched in Intimation
    If all details required and total deductor is more than 10 than how can i make rectification

    Thanks & Regards in Advance
    Kundan Kumar

  16. sambasivaro says:

    how to get it returns for income of land loss amount in road extention in high ways. 47761 amount was deducted 10% of actuval amount of Rs 477605. please give the suggestion


    I am a retired Govt Servant. Tax outstanding Demand – latest to be shown in efiling portal – shows due of Rs 16,367 for AY 2001-02. I had filed relevent details to AO in 2003 itself and have NOT accepted “Disagree” with CPC. Neither AO is processing nor there is any other channel of communication or representation to CPC. I think that we are moving towards a computer age where no one wants to help with genuine problems. Can someone take up a PIL on such issues?

  18. Ashim Manna says:

    Can you please clear this doubt regarding rectification request?

    in CPC Bengaluru Income tax Intimation U/S 143(1) wrongly calculated deduction under chapter VIA (LIC 1,00,000 to 22,380).
    how i will rectify this.

  19. RAMESH says:

    My case is peculiar.For the AY 2002-03 and 2003-04 there was demand which we have paid in febrauary 2006.Chalan copies were sent to the department.
    How ever the department has not taken this into account.There is refund during AY 2012-13.Now they have adjusted this refund against above demand although we have paid.
    We have made number of requests to Asessing officer,but no action taken by the AO.
    Is there any method by which we can submit rectification report with CPC.
    Apparently it looks to me the funds paid by me not taken into account.

  20. SANJAY SHRIWAS says:

    I have TDS Intimation u/s 200a of the Income Tax Act,1961
    Type of Default- Short payment notice
    How to update challan details in RPU for rectified
    Can you please clear this doubt regarding revising returns.

  21. JAMIL AHAMAD says:

    Dear Sir, I have to file rectification request for mismatch of TDS under all the heads i.e. salary , others and IT deposited. My question is whether I can club various amount deducted by the deductor under same TAN on various dates? This is because I am attempting ‘add details’ where after 10 details popup comes “for more than 10 details go under Tax payer is submitting rectification” i.e. other than Mismatch in Tax deductions. What is best solution ?

  22. govind ballabh sharma says:

    I have by mistake deposited advance tax For AY 2011-12 two times.first50,000.00 on 30 Apr,2010 and second , Rs. 50,000.00 and on 14 March 2011. Total advance tax paid for the AY 2011-12 is Rs. 100,000.00 only
    i have submitted original return on 30/07/2011 acknowledgement no.402747850300612. In this return the Advance Tax deposited by mistake was shown as Rs. 50000.00 only .
    Hence a revised request was filed on 30 July 2012 Showing advance tax deposited as Rs.100,000.00 only. but cpc order dated 23/01/2013 ,shows advance tax as computed under section 154 Rs 50,000.00 and not Rs. 100,000.00 as provided by tax payer and/ or information available on the record.
    Hence again a rectification request was filed on 08Jan 2014 showing Rs 100,000.00 as advance tax but cpc order dated 30 May 2014 again shows Rs. 50,000.00 advance tax as computed .thus denying me the refund and shows amount to be paid by me Rs. 369.00

    what should i do now kindly help

  23. rakesh kumar jain says:

    Can I view/download Rectification Request filed earlier? If yes, how?

  24. varsha says:

    i am a salary earners and also commission agent

    but in return by mistake not mention commission income of rs.200000

    i am submit my return online

    so please guide us what to do

  25. pramod kumar singh says:

    whether notice no. and communication ref. no. u/s 139(9) will be same or not?
    whether date of communication or date of receipt u/s 139(9) will be same or not?

  26. Ajay says:

    Hi Sir

    i have filled e-return for A.Y 2013-14 as per data from form 16. I missed two month data (01 April- 31May -2013), which was I got from my previous company form 16.

    Again I filled revised e-return for A.Y 2013-14 including data from both form 16 on 29th July 2013.
    Just 10 days before, I got return amount to my account from the income department as per my previous filled e-return, not as per revised filled e-return.

    As per revised e-return, I am not applicable to get any return amount as well as not eligible to pay any extra amount apart from tax deducted from the company.

    My revised e-return status is showing in-process on the web site.

    How I will refund the money which I got wrongly and how my revised e-return will processed?
    Please guide me what I need to do?

    Ajay Jha

  27. prachi tarika says:

    I had filed a return n not paid the tax so leaving it as” tax payable.”I had paid the tax afterwards. Do i need to rectify n if yes under option 1.taxpayer correcting data for tax credit mismatch only or 3.no further data correction. Plz reply

  28. Joydip says:

    I have filed the tax through local vendor for the assessment year 2012-13 and I have received the acknowledgement against the same from the vendor. But this year when I saw online onder my account I can see “Outstanding Tax Demand”. Please can someone suggest how to get it rectified?

  29. ARUN ANDANI says:


  30. Hitesh says:

    Dear sir,
    In my Assesment Year 2012-13 ,
    My intimation letter shows that ” Total Income Tax Refund” is 7414.00,
    But at Last Page : ” Net Amount Refundable ” is Zero ,
    And Net Amount Payble is 4310 that Already i Paid ,

    So , why ? this Net Amount Refundable is Zero ?
    Can any one helps me ?
    and if I wants to Rectification online then which Rectification Request I have to sumiit ?
    like 1) Taxpayer is correcting data for tax credit mismatch only ?
    2) taxpayer is correcting the data in rectification ?
    3) No futher data correction requred . reprocess the case ?
    which is suits for my case ?

    My Intimation Letter As :
    Heads of Income : 2,30,304
    Deduction : 8,494
    Total income after Deduction : 2,21,810
    Tax Details/Total/aggregate income tax liability : 4,306
    Pre Paid Taxes / TDS : 11,720 (is as per my Returns file ) but As per 143(1) is zero.
    Refund : 7414 (is as per my Returns file ) but As per 143(1) is zero.

    Tax Payable : zero(is as per my Returns file ) but As per 143(1) is 4,306

    Net Amount Refundable is Zero ,
    Net Amount Payble is 4310

  31. Jaytara says:

    I e-filed tax return for AY 2013-14, but there was a typographical error in e-mail id . How to rectify this please ?

    Secondly for AY 2012-13, refund was claimed but website states “No demand no refund”, what does this mean and how to get my refund ?

  32. Harish Kumar Sharma says:

    I am a teacher in a govt. school. I filled e-return for 2011-12. There was difference of tax credit and I brought it in notice of concerned officer in school by giving application for correction along with details taken from income tax site, but it was taken lightly and told that being a govt dept, it takes longer in updates at the CA’s end. But, it was not corrected. Now, since the return has been processed, I have received demand of the difference. I have a Form 16 from my employer. Is there any option to inform Income Tax dept by using Form 16 (uploading it) to prove that the TDS has been deducted from my salary, and rectification is appplied.

    Pl guide what to do ?

  33. Harish Kumar Sharma says:

    I am a teacher in a govt. school. I filled e-return for 2011-12. There was difference of tax credit and I brought it in notice of concerned officer and gave application for correction at income tax site, but it was taken lightly and told that being a govt dept, it takes longer in updates at the CA’s end. But, it was not corrected. Now, since the return has been processed, I have received demand of the difference. I have a Form 16 from my employer. Is there any option to inform Income Tax dept by using Form 16 (uploading it) to prove that the TDS has been deducted from my salary, and rectification is appplied.

    Pl guide what to do ?

  34. Sumit Agarwal says:


  35. BIDYUT SANPUI says:

    I want to file a rectification request for reprocessing my incometax return(a.y-2011-12)for less tds refund than i claimed only due to tds not credited by incometax as per 143(1).Pls let me know what should i do now?

  36. darshan says:

    i have filed e-return for A.Y 2011-12 as per data from form 16 of F.Y 2011-12, next day i knowledge about it pertains to Asst Yr 2012-13, and filed e-return for A.Y 2012-13 again, the return was processed at CPC and file was sent to AO, I received Order U/s 143 showing demand, i made a letter to A.O officer about the facts,that the return was wrongly filed for AY 2011-12 whereas the same pertains to AY.2012-13, hence same is filed therefore requested to Ignore the return filed for AY-2011-12. the officer replied that e-return filed for A.Y 2011-12 was processed and demand was raised, if the return filed was incorrect the same can be revised but the return filed is belated thus cannot be revised, directed to pay Tax as per demand.
    Sir, please state how to rectify the mistake ?

  37. BARATHIDASON says:

    Though the above is the norm, the actual position is like this.

    Demand paid online. Appearing in the 26AS under code 400, in the correct Asst. Year. Yet the amount is recovered from the next year refund. Added to the wound the same amount is shown as demand outstanding in the “My account”.

    To what extent the software is reliable is a question. Wil the Taxguru bring it to the notice of the department.

  38. AAnand Prakash saxena says:

    Good and educative.Keep update regularly.
    Generaly,e-file status show uncleared picture i.e.under process.
    in such circumstances assessee can do nothing because there is
    no clear picture about assessment.Therefore no question arise for

  39. Ravi Sanguri says:

    one of my client has selected status “Non- Domestic” Instead of “Domestic” . and therefore tax has been calculated @ 40% for A.Y 2010-11.

    whether I can file the rectification for the same error.

    Please Advise.

  40. CA VIJAY CHOPRA says:

    sorry TO WRITE “ITS NOT TDS BUT ITS ONLINE INCOME TAX RETURN” we face problem then can we ask questions online.

  41. CA VIJAY CHOPRA says:

    GOOD INFORMATION KEEP me updated can we ask online questions as sometimes while filing E TDS RETURNS we face problem at that time Also I have one query whenever I file online return I have to do lot of labour for searching its XML file What should we do to keep XML on desktop automatically ? please help sometimes it generate on desktop but most of the time it generates XML somewhere else.

  42. manoj says:

    Can you please clear this doubt regarding revising returns?

    Since e-return is not considered valid unless the itr-v is received at CPC Bengaluru within 120 days of e-filing the return. Does this mean that if we revise the e-return within due date (that is now August 31, 2012) we can e-file the revised return as original within due-date and drop sending the itr-v of earlier e-filed return (on 31 July 2012)?

    Person who e-filed the return, seems to made a bit of mess in hurry on 31 July 2012. For a salaried person with losses from share market activity (short term, long term, fno) he used itr-4 and there put the losses from share market activity as income from profession and adjusted current year’s losses against the interest received from bank, and carried forward the remaining losses as losses from business/profession rather than losses from share market activity. When enquired, he said that the software (guess, he meant the itr-4 excel file) did this adjustment?

    After whatever I understand from reading various blogs/articles on net, it appears to me that this is incorrect. Itr-2 should have been used and not itr-4, and losses from share market activities can not be offset against current year’s bank interest (putting every thing non-salary under other income).

    Please provide your views. This is first year of e-filing the returns, and it seems all so complicated.

  43. CA. Subhash Chandra Podder ,FCA. says:

    Good and educative , keep us updated .
    CA.Subhash Chandra Podder , FCA

Leave a Reply