Dr. Sanjiv Agarwal

Various tax benefit available under the Income Tax Act 1961, would help house aspirers to go in for housing loans which were a bit costlier till now. Taking loans for housing needs also makes an economic sense as it offers income tax incentives and exemptions.

Any person can claim both – interest payment and principal component of repayment in EMI. Interest can be claimed as a deduction under Section 24. one can claim up to Rs. 2,00,000 or the actual interest paid whichever is lower but one can claim this interest only when such person is in possession of the house.

Principal amount can be claimed up to the maximum of Rs. 1,50,000 under Section 80C. This is subject to the maximum level of Rs 1,50,000 across all eligible 80C investments.

Housing Loan Tax Benefit

In case of personal loans from friends or relatives, Interest payment to friends and relatives can be claimed u/s 24 but only against a certificate received from them. In the absence of the certificate, one would not be eligible for the deduction. The recipient of interest income who issues the certificate is liable to pay tax on the interest income that he receives. As far as the principal payments are concerned, they would not qualify for tax benefit as loans only from notified institutions and banks are eligible for such deductions.

In case of joint loans, say in names of both the spouses, if the wife is working and has a separate source of income, both husband and wife can claim separate deductions in respective income tax returns. The repayment of principal amount of the loan can be claimed as a deduction under section 80C up to a maximum amount of Rs.1.5 lakh individually by each co-owner.

In cases where the house is owned by more than one person and is also self-occupied by each co-owner, each co-owner shall be entitled to the deduction individually on account of interest on borrowed money up to a maximum amount of Rs. 2 lakh. If the house is given on rent, there is no restriction on this amount. All co-owners can claim deductions in the ratio of ownership.

According to the Income-tax Act, 1961, where the property has been acquired or constructed with borrowed capital, the interest payable on such capital for the period prior to the year in which the property has been acquired shall be allowed as deduction in five equal installments beginning from the year in which the property is acquired. Thus, the interest included in the loan installment paid by the borrower during the construction period shall be eligible for deduction from the year in which the flat is acquired/construction is completed.

The principal amount of the loan repaid shall not be available as a deduction under section 80C till the time the construction of the flat gets completed. Once the flat is completed and the possession is handed over, one is eligible to claim deduction for interest paid on the loan under section 24(b) and principal amount of loan under section 80C. However, the total amount of deduction available under section 80C shall be limited to Rs. 1.5 lakh.

Also Read:

  1. https://taxguru.in/income-tax/income-tax-benefits-house-property.html
  2. https://taxguru.in/income-tax/double-benefit-taxes-housing-loan.html

(Republished With Amendments)

Author Bio

More Under Income Tax


  1. Nilesh Jivani says:

    I have following queries by seing your blog..
    1. If you going to fill your ITR by efiling mode than there is no need togive any documents than how income tax department come know that at what date you got possession with resistration ?
    2 I have two houses and both are rented while I am living in govt quarter so do not get HRA in salary. In this situation which ITR form need to be fill for ITR ?
    3. One house is with my name and other flat is resistered with name of myself and my spouse. In resistration share of parnership is not defined. Whole EMIs(of both houses) are paid by me. Now My wife has started to give coaching, but she is earning only 50000 RS per years and she is also going to fill ITR from this assessment year. She will not claim any intrest benifit. Can I get intrest lost benifit for both houses ? Even my wife is co-applicant in one flat, can I claim 100% intrest loss for that property as I am paying 100 % EMI ? What is methord to convey to ITD as I am going to opt effiling process ? Pl suggest best way in which I get maximum benifits.
    4. As you know that we could not rented both houses through out 12 month because of 11 month aggement we are generally doing. So practically we got 10 to 11 month rents. How it can be reflected in ITR form ?
    5. I requasted to go through the HP(House property) schedule of ITR-2 and suggest how to fill as per my above situation.
    6. Can I get benifit intrest loss of 300000 by both ITR(my & my spouse) as per above situation ?

    7. what is notional rent ?

    8. As I am not living in my any of the houses could I get benifits 80 C ? 9. What is the meaning of ” letable value\rent received or rent receivable” ? Which is ask in ITR-2. 10. What is the meaning of ” the amount of rent which can not be realised ? which is shown in ITR-2 form. P l reply urgentaly as last date for filling up ITR is 31 July,2012.

  2. Krishna Lokapur says:

    Husband is a Tax payee & Housing Loan EMI is deducted from his wife Salary (wife – Non Taxable – Govt Servant) can Husband claim IT benefits EMI deducted from his wife salary ?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

June 2021